Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Glendora Mountain Road Tributaries

    Can anyone address the road conditions of GMR to East Fork Road to Route 39 to Route 2 to La Caņada?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kalifornia
    My Bikes
    '07 Excalibur, '08 Anthem 1, and some others
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi thomson,

    I asked big john about this and he said, paraphrased, that 39 is passable to bikes (some debris in the road), closed to cars. I did a race in the spring up east fork/gmr/baldy and the road conditions are good.

    Are you planning on adding on this weekend? I'm hoping to go up baldy, then go to rt 2 via 39 and drop into wherever 2 stops and get a ride from a friend in Pasadena. I'm thinking about stashing some water the night before, because it has been pretty hot in the SB front country recently; it's probably hotter down there.

  3. #3
    Out of Commission OC Roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did GMR to the Ski Lifts yesters. GMR is in good shape and closed to traffic. There's some construction going on about 6-8 miles up, and the roads is only about 4 feet wide for a very short stretch. There are also some mounds of dirt along the roadside. None of this presented much of a problem, on the way down, you just need to be aware of the construction and other rides, but it doesn't sound like you're planning on descending GMR anyway.
    If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response guys.
    I am not really sure what I am going to do. I was looking to add some miles and 39 up to 2 looked interesting. If I were to come down Route 2, I would just side street it back to the GMR start. Or maybe just descend on Route 39.

    I wanted to make sure the roads I saw on a map were actually open to bicyclists and paved. Sounds like they are.

    Thanks again
    ..Jim

  5. #5
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,901
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    Can anyone address the road conditions of GMR to East Fork Road to Route 39 to Route 2 to La Cañada?

    Thanks
    Hey Thompson! To East Fork from the gate, no problem, but it is open to cars. There is a camp store/cafe at the bottom and it is the only place to get water until Newcome Ranch on AC. You will gain about 5000 feet in 25 miles on hwy 39. The top few miles of 39 is gated to cars, but rideable. When you reach the 2 it is open to cars going toward Foothill/ La Canada, and is NOT all downhill. Newcome's is about 18 miles from the 39, so you need enough water to go 55 miles,or so, with a lot of climbing and it could be hot down low.
    Last edited by big john; 08-29-06 at 08:40 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kalifornia
    My Bikes
    '07 Excalibur, '08 Anthem 1, and some others
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, I was just doing some research about water availability on ACH. I started on this page:http://tchester.org/sgm/places/sr2_log.html and found that Buckhorn campground is ~6 miles from 39, and has water when open. According to the dubious angeles nat'l forest website, it's open now. Then according to that website, Newcomb's is ~13 miles from 39. Not all downhill. I can't verify any of this info though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,901
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the wrong mileage this morning, math section of the brain was still asleep. Newcomb's is 18 miles from 39, I've corrected the other post. I can't speak about Buckhorn, it's off the hwy a bit, but there is some climbing from 39 back to Cloudburst Summit, then a 6 mile drop to Newcomb's

  8. #8
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john
    Hey Thompson! To East Fork from the gate, no problem, but it is open to cars. There is a camp store/cafe at the bottom and it is the only place to get water until Newcome Ranch on AC. You will gain about 5000 feet in 25 miles on hwy 39. The top few miles of 39 is gated to cars, but rideable. When you reach the 2 it is open to cars going toward Foothill/ La Canada, and is NOT all downhill. Newcome's is about 18 miles from the 39, so you need enough water to go 55 miles,or so, with a lot of climbing and it could be hot down low.
    Hi John

    Good information. I have been up ACH a number of times to Dawson Saddle (which is where the ACC used to turnaround). I believe that is close to 39??

    [edit] I see from the chart MtnRide posted that 39 is 5 ½ miles toward La Cañada from Dawson Saddle. So, I am familiar with all the Route 2 part.
    Last edited by thomson; 08-29-06 at 10:11 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnRide
    Hi all, I was just doing some research about water availability on ACH. I started on this page:http://tchester.org/sgm/places/sr2_log.html and found that Buckhorn campground is ~6 miles from 39, and has water when open. According to the dubious angeles nat'l forest website, it's open now. Then according to that website, Newcomb's is ~13 miles from 39. Not all downhill. I can't verify any of this info though.
    hey, I like that site a lot. Really maps ACH well. Thanks

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kalifornia
    My Bikes
    '07 Excalibur, '08 Anthem 1, and some others
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey John, thanks again for the local eyes on the road. Kind of hard to plan a solo ride like this, I appreciate the info.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •