Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Merlins are forever... madmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lighthouse Century 9/30/06 - Anyone riding this?

    I know it's several weeks away but I'll be out of town for 2 weeks this month, (check the sig).

    Is anyone planning on riding the Lighthouse Century in San Luis Obispo? Here is info on the ride

    This is one of my favorite organized rides. It is extremely well supported and the country side is beautiful. The route cruises up Hightway 1 from SLO through Morro Bay all the way up past San Simeon. I don't usually like up and back routes but the coast is amazing. Honestly the only negative for this ride is the head wind to the turn around point... but you have a great tail wind on the way back!

    This is about 5 miles before the turnaround.


    It is currently sold out but people are alway selling tickets on the website! The first year I rode it I bought the tickets the week of the event from someone who couldn't ride.

    Let me know... if a bunch of us are going up we could ride/start together!

    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
    I am the REAL madmike!!!
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...

  2. #2
    mateo for short mateo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a fabulous ride, but it's the day after the Poway century. So, I'm out.

    Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    I know it's several weeks away but I'll be out of town for 2 weeks this month, (check the sig).

    Is anyone planning on riding the Lighthouse Century in San Luis Obispo? Here is info on the ride

    This is one of my favorite organized rides. It is extremely well supported and the country side is beautiful. The route cruises up Hightway 1 from SLO through Morro Bay all the way up past San Simeon. I don't usually like up and back routes but the coast is amazing. Honestly the only negative for this ride is the head wind to the turn around point... but you have a great tail wind on the way back!

    This is about 5 miles before the turnaround.


    It is currently sold out but people are alway selling tickets on the website! The first year I rode it I bought the tickets the week of the event from someone who couldn't ride.

    Let me know... if a bunch of us are going up we could ride/start together!

    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
    << no sig at this time >>

  3. #3
    OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!! caligurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    HOT, sunny socal desert
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock
    Posts
    4,939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've heard this is a great ride! however it's WAY too far for us to drive to it in one day! plus planet ultra's angeles crest century is that day!!!!
    OCP and PROUD!
    "OCP is not just about attitude, it's a way of life!"
    life's too short to ride a crummy bike..........

  4. #4
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was registered, but sold my ticket. I love this area, we have camped up in San Simeon quite a bit and Cambria is one of my favorite places on the central coast. I could hang out on Moonstone Beach for days and days and never get tired of it! Maybe next year.

  5. #5
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do this ride, don't forget to stop and say hi to the elephant seals!



  6. #6
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Posts
    5,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to be there, but its not looking good at the moment. I have an entry all paid up and signed, but the last day of the Interbike show is the Fri. before the Lighthouse. So, since Fri. is the last day of the show, I could drive back from Vegas to SLO Fri. evening.

    Except . . . that we usually leave all the packing up of the booth for Sat. morning, i.e. the day of the Lighthouse. Now if (big IF) I can get out of all the manual labor, then I'll be ready to ride on Sat. morning.

    If not . . . hopefully I'll make it next year. Still negotiating with my boss about the time thing. I have ridden the Lighthouse (Highland Century) for the past five years, so it's not like missing one year would kill me. I do like Old Creek Road .

    So . . . maybe, but probably not.

    Best Regs,
    Rick / OCRR

  7. #7
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me and a buddy have been doing this ride every year for around six years now. this year will be no different! we head out friday night as soon as we can from van nuys and usually just sleep in the college parking lot. were cheap bastards!

  8. #8
    Merlins are forever... madmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet... we'll have to meet up an ride together!

    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
    I am the REAL madmike!!!
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...

  9. #9
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,039
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had know about this ride before I signed up for the Poway ride. I have to be in SLO at 7:30 am on Monday.

  10. #10
    Merlins are forever... madmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo44
    Looks like a fabulous ride, but it's the day after the Poway century. So, I'm out.
    It's actually the day before the Poway ride... maybe if I'm feeling good I'll do the poway ride after the Lighthouse!



    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
    I am the REAL madmike!!!
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...

  11. #11
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be doing this ride. A friend of mine emailed me this morning that he has an extra tix and asked if I wanted to join. I've posed this question to him: Should I take on the challenge of another century so close to the double metric - will six days be enough recovery? (he's a strong rider/athlete and I would be trying to keep his pace) Anybody on here want to weigh in??

    I haven't heard back from him yet, but assuming he tells me I'm completely nuts, I won't ride it. Which means...there is an extra tix if anyone wants to purchase it (at this point anyway). Let me know, because I'll decide by tomorrow whether or not I'm going to do it and, if not, I can tell him so that he doesn't sell it to someone else.

    m.e.

  12. #12
    Climbing better scvroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done back to back centuries with just a few days recovery, as long as it not 2 Death Ride type of rides back to back it should be just fine. (As long as your not sick or recovering from being sick like me yesterday.)

    I'm sure you know your own fitness level and the Lighthouse ride is not a difficult ride, with the exception of riding with a better rider. The question is do you want to hang on for a 100 miles.

  13. #13
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scvroadie
    I'm sure you know your own fitness level and the Lighthouse ride is not a difficult ride, with the exception of riding with a better rider. The question is do you want to hang on for a 100 miles.
    Well, I've ridden with my friend several times before and have been able to hang. I think he, like most of the strong male riders I know, holds back a bit when riding with me - and I guess he doesn't mind since he asked me to join. I'm certainly not lazy and will rise to the occassion (i.e. push it) unless I'm really fatigued or having a crappy riding day - I'll then tell the other rider to take off.

    As far as knowing my personal fitness level, well, no. That's where you got me. I way overtrained for my first double last June. I was completely fried afterwards and lost my "riding mojo." I'm just now getting it back. I do NOT want a repeat and, unfortunately, I'm not good at gauging (I'll just workout everyday and call an upper body weight session my "recovery" day). So, thanks for your input on the ride. Knowing it isn't so taxing is a pro toward riding it. After all, SLO is a gorgeous riding scenery!

  14. #14
    Merlins are forever... madmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    I may be doing this ride. A friend of mine emailed me this morning that he has an extra tix and asked if I wanted to join. I've posed this question to him: Should I take on the challenge of another century so close to the double metric - will six days be enough recovery? (he's a strong rider/athlete and I would be trying to keep his pace)
    This is a pretty easy Century, (3500' vertical climbing). The hardest parts are the climb after the lunch stop and the head wind from Cambria up to the turn around point but once you turn around it's a nice cruise back.

    You have a couple options.
    1. Turn around before the official turn around point, (it's an up and back from Cambria).
    2. Ride slower and don't push yourself.

    You can ride slow with me, I'm still recovering from the Alps and I have a century the following weekend as well so I'll be taking it easy.

    Anyone who is doing the ride PM me and we can figure a way of meeting up.

    I was thinking of doing the hilly century, (http://www.slobc.org/LhF100.html) but if there is a group riding together I'd do the flat one, (http://www.slobc.org/LhF100.html).

    BTW go here to see who is selling their spot: http://www.slobc.org/waiting/Sellers.html

    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
    Last edited by madmike; 09-25-06 at 05:23 PM.
    I am the REAL madmike!!!
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...

  15. #15
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, gentlemen. That makes three of you weighing in as a "go-for-it" (my friend voted yes on me doing it as well) - so, I'm going for sure. It turns out that he has one extra ticket (besides mine) if anyone is interested in purchasing it. MadMike, I'll PM you when I have more info from Bryan on whether we are carpooling, etc. and try to hook up with you up there. I've always wanted to do this ride, so now I can. Yippee!

  16. #16
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,593
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Thank you, gentlemen. That makes three of you weighing in as a "go-for-it" (my friend voted yes on me doing it as well) - so, I'm going for sure. It turns out that he has one extra ticket (besides mine) if anyone is interested in purchasing it. MadMike, I'll PM you when I have more info from Bryan on whether we are carpooling, etc. and try to hook up with you up there. I've always wanted to do this ride, so now I can. Yippee!
    I guess this means you won't be at the AC Century? Sarah is going, as is Keith, I might go and renegade it, self supported. I'm still thinking about it.
    You'll love the Lighthouse, I've done it 5 times. The food is incredible, and it isn't too hard. Enjoy, M.E.

  17. #17
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me and at least one guy are doing the flat one if anyone cares.....we may have a group of up to five of us doing it. im just going to have a good time and enjoy the scenery...no hammering for this kid!!!!! everyone needs to do this ride as its so damned enjoyable!!!

  18. #18
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...not that we'll be easy to find but im sure we'll be the cheap lazy bastards sleeping on the ground in the parking lot next to a black nissan crew cab with a shell..if it matters!!!

  19. #19
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john
    I guess this means you won't be at the AC Century? Sarah is going, as is Keith, I might go and renegade it, self supported. I'm still thinking about it.
    You'll love the Lighthouse, I've done it 5 times. The food is incredible, and it isn't too hard. Enjoy, M.E.
    Hey John - yeah, I can't pass up this ride, especially since my friend has graciously offered to just give me his extra ticket. I've never done it but I've heard exactly what you said about it before. I'll miss you guys. I've got to tell Bob and Laura. Have fun if you do the AC - you'll be riding harder miles than I will be!

  20. #20
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootcore
    well...not that we'll be easy to find but im sure we'll be the cheap lazy bastards sleeping on the ground in the parking lot next to a black nissan crew cab with a shell..if it matters!!!
    Okay, I'll look for you "cheap lazy bastards" in the parking lot I'll be the chick with a permi-grin and way too much enthusiasm for that early in the morning.

  21. #21
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right on...we may be cheap and lazy but i think were pretty nice! we were over by the baseball field last time and i think thats where we'll aim for again!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •