Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Check this event out..

    I know its a bit of a drive for you so-cal folks, but its an awesome event. Goes on for days and its also a trade show. Bring the kids, they seem to love the dirt juping as well as the 4x racing. There is something for everybody here. Its also the biggest bike race in the United States. Last year we had a group camping along the XC mt bike course, let me tell you, it was hilarious and fun. The road racing is great to watch also, and many pro teams come every year. New for this year is the Super DH and the Adventure Racing.

    http://www.seaotterclassic.com/


    Sean

  2. #2
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by injured
    I know its a bit of a drive for you so-cal folks, but its an awesome event. Goes on for days and its also a trade show. Bring the kids, they seem to love the dirt juping as well as the 4x racing. There is something for everybody here. Its also the biggest bike race in the United States. Last year we had a group camping along the XC mt bike course, let me tell you, it was hilarious and fun. The road racing is great to watch also, and many pro teams come every year. New for this year is the Super DH and the Adventure Racing.

    http://www.seaotterclassic.com/


    Sean
    I rode the Sea Otter Classic century in 2005 and it was one of the most beautiful rides I've ever been on. It was very windy and I was wiped at the end, but I'd consider doing it again in a heartbeat and highly recommend it!

  3. #3
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when the Sea Otter Classic was just starting, they had sent flyers to tons of racers in the state and had them available at other races. It looked so cool to do a circuit race on a motorsports track, plus I was racing mtb at the time as well and would have tried to do both in one weekend. Too bad my coach had more important races for me to do. Are they still holding an inline skate race as well? Might be fun to watch and do a century.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanknight
    I remember when the Sea Otter Classic was just starting, they had sent flyers to tons of racers in the state and had them available at other races. It looked so cool to do a circuit race on a motorsports track, plus I was racing mtb at the time as well and would have tried to do both in one weekend. Too bad my coach had more important races for me to do. Are they still holding an inline skate race as well? Might be fun to watch and do a century.

    Dont think there is any in-line skating anymore. The road racing has gotten pretty big, and yse they still race on the track as well as the roads on the old military base, which is of course closed to traffic. Last year the Specialized womens team won a pro race and they were handing out free beers. I had 5. The dirt jumping is insane, those guys are nuts.

  5. #5
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    one for everything
    Posts
    7,029
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raced there last April, it was a LONG course, think it was 26 miles or so, I can't remember, was like 2.5 hour race for me. My buddy wanted to race DH but reg was filled up, he was pissed, ended up racing the 4X instead. I think we are going again next year too. We drank WAY too much beer that weekend

  6. #6
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    I raced there last April, it was a LONG course, think it was 26 miles or so, I can't remember, was like 2.5 hour race for me. My buddy wanted to race DH but reg was filled up, he was pissed, ended up racing the 4X instead. I think we are going again next year too. We drank WAY too much beer that weekend

    I think the XC race was about 24 miles, with a couple of brute climbs. Its a rilly place so lots of ups and downs. I know the DH fills quickly. The 4x course got hammered from the rain, but I bet he had fun. I drank too much too, but the 16 mile ride up and down back to the car sobered me up.

  7. #7
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,343
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All their links are broken?

  8. #8
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg
    All their links are broken?
    Not broken, they open on Nov 1st. You can also do a search for past years.

  9. #9
    Out of Commission OC Roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Road Race and Circuit Race this year. The whole event was great, it was nice to be able to bring my family to the races, and have stuff for the kids to check out. Hopefully I can talk my wife into it again for 2007
    If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Roadie
    I did the Road Race and Circuit Race this year. The whole event was great, it was nice to be able to bring my family to the races, and have stuff for the kids to check out. Hopefully I can talk my wife into it again for 2007

    We will have to get a group get together this year. Last year I led a group of so-cal peeps on a SS ride. How is the road race? I know there are some decent grades around the fort, but its still a fast race. I know it wouold kick my but. Im thinking aboout it, I would be beg. or what is it Cat50.

  11. #11
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    one for everything
    Posts
    7,029
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if we make it up there next year, you're gonna have to show us some of the trails you ride. We are the socal tourist

  12. #12
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a regular metric as well isn't there? One of my appraisers used to compete in some of the races many years back... I had no clue what he was racing except it was on his mtn bike. It was really fun to watch though.

    I vote for a group trip!

  13. #13
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    There is a regular metric as well isn't there? One of my appraisers used to compete in some of the races many years back... I had no clue what he was racing except it was on his mtn bike. It was really fun to watch though.

    I vote for a group trip!
    Trac - I don't know that there is a metric. The century route starts right off of the track (laguna secca, I think) and then takes you out. Of course, I think these guys are more talking about going and watching the events than the ride (which isn't a race and isn't all that interesting to the MTBers or road racers as they are there to watch the events. I like to watch and did a little in 2005, but I want to ride the 100 more!).

  14. #14
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Trac - I don't know that there is a metric. The century route starts right off of the track (laguna secca, I think) and then takes you out. Of course, I think these guys are more talking about going and watching the events than the ride (which isn't a race and isn't all that interesting to the MTBers or road racers as they are there to watch the events. I like to watch and did a little in 2005, but I want to ride the 100 more!).
    yeah, I figured they either wanted to watch or for some of them, compete... I just figured if I was gonna drive up there, I wanted to ride as well

  15. #15
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    yeah, I figured they either wanted to watch or for some of them, compete... I just figured if I was gonna drive up there, I wanted to ride as well

    I actually prefer to do both. There are events going on non-stop during day light hours. Lots to watch and lots to do. There are group led rides, as well as personal rides you can do. The possibilities are endless. I like to do a ride of my own and tire myself out before I start watching. There is some really fun trails there, not real technical, but yoou can rip em as fast as you are comfortable riding em. I prefer a SS there as it is pretty smoothe stuff. The roads around the base are carless and challenging, not to mention Montery and Carmel. Lots of good food also, and plenty of beer.

  16. #16
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by injured
    I actually prefer to do both.
    Have you ever ridden the Sea Otter classic century, Sean? Just curious since you mention Carmel. That route goes up into the Carmel canyons.

  17. #17
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Have you ever ridden the Sea Otter classic century, Sean? Just curious since you mention Carmel. That route goes up into the Carmel canyons.

    No I have'nt. Im sure its a great ride. Is that where your gonna take me after thanks giving?

  18. #18
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to try and make it next year.

  19. #19
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by injured
    No I have'nt. Im sure its a great ride. Is that where your gonna take me after thanks giving?
    ARe you going to ride with me that weekend???

  20. #20
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    ARe you going to ride with me that weekend???

    Im just counting the days.

  21. #21
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by injured
    Im just counting the days.
    Oh, goodie, goodie! I'm going to work the turkey and pumpkin pie off you. And yeah, let me see if I can map out a route up in Carmel - perhaps coming out of the secca (or near it as I'm not sure I want to end again with that climb up it!). OR, you can introduce me to some fabulous ride you know of. By the way, I'll be in Morgan HIll for part of that weekend, and then into PG. So, Saturday ride?

  22. #22
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Oh, goodie, goodie! I'm going to work the turkey and pumpkin pie off you. And yeah, let me see if I can map out a route up in Carmel - perhaps coming out of the secca (or near it as I'm not sure I want to end again with that climb up it!). OR, you can introduce me to some fabulous ride you know of. By the way, I'll be in Morgan HIll for part of that weekend, and then into PG. So, Saturday ride?

    If your in Morgan Hill, I can take you on one of the rides around here. In the area Im gonna take Tracy, or Mt Hamilton. We will have to see how the weather is and decide the week of. Often times, if its raining here the Sea Otter are in dry.

  23. #23
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Have you ever ridden the Sea Otter classic century, Sean? Just curious since you mention Carmel. That route goes up into the Carmel canyons.

    is that at the same time as the rest of the events?

  24. #24
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Oh, goodie, goodie! I'm going to work the turkey and pumpkin pie off you. And yeah, let me see if I can map out a route up in Carmel - perhaps coming out of the secca (or near it as I'm not sure I want to end again with that climb up it!). OR, you can introduce me to some fabulous ride you know of. By the way, I'll be in Morgan HIll for part of that weekend, and then into PG. So, Saturday ride?

    Hey M.E.... have you been on the TE board? Adventure Girl lives in the area and apparently she has a great 50ish miler that she can probably tell you about

    I'm dragging him out the weekend before but just for a warm up (for injured anyway!)

  25. #25
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    Hey M.E.... have you been on the TE board? Adventure Girl lives in the area and apparently she has a great 50ish miler that she can probably tell you about

    I'm dragging him out the weekend before but just for a warm up (for injured anyway!)
    I just PM'd you and now I realize what route slip you meant. Thank you, Trac! That would be great if she does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •