Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-06, 09:05 PM   #1
maximan1
Mr. Maximan1
Thread Starter
 
maximan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anaheim and Fullerton (SoCal)
Bikes: Puch Superleicht, Nishiki moutain project, Trek 2300 carbon composite
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good news and Bad news

Good news:
I hit my all time high mph on my commuter!
Bad news:
It was from an adrenelin rush from a cop yelling at me.
So I was riding after school to Carls Jr. and it was just a leisurly ride, in other words, w/o a helmet. I was just turning in to the plaza and suddenly there is this cop right there at the stoplight behind 5 cars and he yells "HEY" at me. I'm all like "O CARP" and I pedal as fast as I can. I think I got around 25 MPH right there. I managed to make it behind Circuit City before he could catch me...PHEW

At least I didn't get a ticket !!!!!!

I wasen't sure my bike could handle that kind of pressure...
__________________
www.olgapetrovart.com
maximan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:06 PM   #2
my58vw
Meow!
 
my58vw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
Posts: 6,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximan1
I wasen't sure my bike could handle that kind of pressure...
- KIDS!
__________________
Just your average club rider... :)
my58vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:07 PM   #3
maximan1
Mr. Maximan1
Thread Starter
 
maximan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anaheim and Fullerton (SoCal)
Bikes: Puch Superleicht, Nishiki moutain project, Trek 2300 carbon composite
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
- YEAH!
__________________
www.olgapetrovart.com
maximan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:13 PM   #4
DaveSANYYZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: 1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX
Posts: 2,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I'm a wimp. If a cop yells at me, I'll probably stop and try to figure out what the problem is. Maybe there's some crime in the neighborhood and now by running I'm an automatic suspect? Rows of cop cars and helicopters chasing after me... err, I've definitely watched too many movies.
DaveSANYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:18 PM   #5
Brandy
...
 
Brandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 6,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSANYYZ
I guess I'm a wimp. If a cop yells at me, I'll probably stop and try to figure out what the problem is. Maybe there's some crime in the neighborhood and now by running I'm an automatic suspect? Rows of cop cars and helicopters chasing after me... err, I've definitely watched too many movies.
You're not a wimp Dave, you're a mature, law abiding citizen.

BTW...wear your helmet Max.
__________________
Brandy

Wheels Rolling
Brandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:21 PM   #6
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, wear a helmet on all rides.
BigSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:22 PM   #7
maximan1
Mr. Maximan1
Thread Starter
 
maximan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anaheim and Fullerton (SoCal)
Bikes: Puch Superleicht, Nishiki moutain project, Trek 2300 carbon composite
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
But but but but but....NO FAIR
__________________
www.olgapetrovart.com
maximan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:23 PM   #8
maximan1
Mr. Maximan1
Thread Starter
 
maximan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anaheim and Fullerton (SoCal)
Bikes: Puch Superleicht, Nishiki moutain project, Trek 2300 carbon composite
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And BTW I usually wear my helmet, just this time I didn't...I don't know why...
__________________
www.olgapetrovart.com
maximan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:24 PM   #9
Tiffanie
...
 
Tiffanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo
Posts: 3,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy
You're not a wimp Dave, you're a mature, law abiding citizen.

BTW...wear your helmet Max.
__________________
Tiffanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:24 PM   #10
maximan1
Mr. Maximan1
Thread Starter
 
maximan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anaheim and Fullerton (SoCal)
Bikes: Puch Superleicht, Nishiki moutain project, Trek 2300 carbon composite
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...I get your drift...
__________________
www.olgapetrovart.com
maximan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:30 PM   #11
Brandy
...
 
Brandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 6,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximan1
But but but but but....NO FAIR
Quit your crying and wear a helmet. It's the law.

Youth Bicycle Helmets: Minors


21212. (a) A person under 18 years of age shall not operate a bicycle, a nonmotorized scooter, or a skateboard, nor shall they wear in-line or roller skates, nor ride upon a bicycle, a nonmotorized scooter, or a skateboard as a passenger, upon a street, bikeway, as defined in Section 890.4 of the Streets and Highways Code, or any other public bicycle path or trail unless that person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards of either the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), or standards subsequently established by those entities. This requirement also applies to a person who rides upon a bicycle while in a restraining seat that is attached to the bicycle or in a trailer towed by the bicycle.

(b) Any helmet sold or offered for sale for use by operators and passengers of bicycles, nonmotorized scooters, skateboards, or in-line or roller skates shall be conspicuously labeled in accordance with the standard described in subdivision (a) which shall constitute the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable safety standards.

(c) No person shall sell, or offer for sale, for use by an operator or passenger of a bicycle, nonmotorized scooter, skateboard, or in-line or roller skates any safety helmet which is not of a type meeting requirements established by this section.

(d) Any charge under this subdivision shall be dismissed when the person charged alleges in court, under oath, that the charge against the person is the first charge against that person under this subdivision, unless it is otherwise established in court that the charge is not the first charge against the person.

(e) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than twenty-five dollars ($25).

The parent or legal guardian having control or custody of an unemancipated minor whose conduct violates this section shall be jointly and severally liable with the minor for the amount of the fine imposed pursuant to this subdivision.

(f) Notwithstanding Section 1463 of the Penal Code or any other provision of law, the fines collected for a violation of this section shall be allocated as follows:

(1) Seventy-two and one-half percent of the amount collected shall be deposited in a special account of the county health department, to be used for bicycle, nonmotorized scooter, skateboard, and in-line and roller skate safety education and for assisting low-income families in obtaining approved bicycle helmets for children under the age of 18 years, either on a loan or purchase basis. The county may contract for the implementation of this program, which, to the extent practicable, shall be operated in conjunction with the child passenger restraint program pursuant to Section 27360.

(2) Two and one-half percent of the amount collected shall be deposited in the county treasury to be used by the county to administer the program described in paragraph (1).

(3) If the violation occurred within a city, 25 percent of the amount collected shall be transferred to and deposited in the treasury of that city. If the violation occurred in an unincorporated area, this 25 percent shall be deposited and used pursuant to paragraph (1).

Added Ch. 1000, Stats. 1993. Effective January 1, 1994.
Amended Sec. 6, Ch. 674, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 475, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.
__________________
Brandy

Wheels Rolling
Brandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:34 PM   #12
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy
Quit your crying and wear a helmet. It's the law.

Youth Bicycle Helmets: Minors


21212. (a) A person under 18 years of age shall not operate a bicycle, a nonmotorized scooter, or a skateboard, nor shall they wear in-line or roller skates, nor ride upon a bicycle, a nonmotorized scooter, or a skateboard as a passenger, upon a street, bikeway, as defined in Section 890.4 of the Streets and Highways Code, or any other public bicycle path or trail unless that person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards of either the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), or standards subsequently established by those entities. This requirement also applies to a person who rides upon a bicycle while in a restraining seat that is attached to the bicycle or in a trailer towed by the bicycle.

(b) Any helmet sold or offered for sale for use by operators and passengers of bicycles, nonmotorized scooters, skateboards, or in-line or roller skates shall be conspicuously labeled in accordance with the standard described in subdivision (a) which shall constitute the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable safety standards.

(c) No person shall sell, or offer for sale, for use by an operator or passenger of a bicycle, nonmotorized scooter, skateboard, or in-line or roller skates any safety helmet which is not of a type meeting requirements established by this section.

(d) Any charge under this subdivision shall be dismissed when the person charged alleges in court, under oath, that the charge against the person is the first charge against that person under this subdivision, unless it is otherwise established in court that the charge is not the first charge against the person.

(e) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than twenty-five dollars ($25).

The parent or legal guardian having control or custody of an unemancipated minor whose conduct violates this section shall be jointly and severally liable with the minor for the amount of the fine imposed pursuant to this subdivision.

(f) Notwithstanding Section 1463 of the Penal Code or any other provision of law, the fines collected for a violation of this section shall be allocated as follows:

(1) Seventy-two and one-half percent of the amount collected shall be deposited in a special account of the county health department, to be used for bicycle, nonmotorized scooter, skateboard, and in-line and roller skate safety education and for assisting low-income families in obtaining approved bicycle helmets for children under the age of 18 years, either on a loan or purchase basis. The county may contract for the implementation of this program, which, to the extent practicable, shall be operated in conjunction with the child passenger restraint program pursuant to Section 27360.

(2) Two and one-half percent of the amount collected shall be deposited in the county treasury to be used by the county to administer the program described in paragraph (1).

(3) If the violation occurred within a city, 25 percent of the amount collected shall be transferred to and deposited in the treasury of that city. If the violation occurred in an unincorporated area, this 25 percent shall be deposited and used pursuant to paragraph (1).

Added Ch. 1000, Stats. 1993. Effective January 1, 1994.
Amended Sec. 6, Ch. 674, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 475, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.

It should be the law for all riders not just kids, its the only melon you get, protect it.
BigSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 10:28 PM   #13
Cleave
Old Road Racer
 
Cleave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
Posts: 5,248
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hope cyclingtom doesn't read this thread.
__________________
Thanks.
Cleave
"Real men wear pink."
See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/
Cleave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 10:36 PM   #14
my58vw
Meow!
 
my58vw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
Posts: 6,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Move it to safety and advocism...

You know he is just acting like a typical 14 - 17 year old...



I never leave my house on a bike without my helmet...
__________________
Just your average club rider... :)
my58vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 11:03 PM   #15
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by injured
It should be the law for all riders not just kids, its the only melon you get, protect it.
After you become an adjult, the government allows Darwin to take a little bit of control back.
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 01:48 AM   #16
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wont pretend to be your mom like some people but I recommend a helmet.

If you dont want to wear one---It's fine with me, not my life you are risking...
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 02:39 AM   #17
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by injured
It should be the law for all riders not just kids, its the only melon you get, protect it.
I disagree, society shouldnt place restricting rules on people endangering only their own life.
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 09:57 AM   #18
Extort
Dagger Boy
 
Extort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern California
Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road
Posts: 3,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg
I disagree, society shouldnt place restricting rules on people endangering only their own life.
I agree... simply because stupid people would end up killing themselves and our society would become increasingly more mature. However, somewhere along the line the stupid people got put in charge and therefore we have stupid laws to protect stupid people from doing stupid things.

Until we get rid of the stupid people in charge the system cannot be changed and Max will be required to wear a helmet.

Also, Max... running from the cops only makes them mad because they end up spilling their coffee and dropping their donuts. So don't run from them. Most of the time they are just going to talk to you and give you a warning, not throw you in jail.
__________________
Women think they're so clever because they can fake an orgasm for the sake of a relationship, but men can fake a whole relationship for the sake of an orgasm.
Extort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:05 AM   #19
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
maximan 1.......don't tell me this was you!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:08 AM   #20
Hoshnasi
Senior Member
 
Hoshnasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cerritos, Ca.
Bikes:
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dude Darwin Awards? Seriously though, was the 25mph on your new bike I saw a picture of? Thats you right?
Hoshnasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:11 AM   #21
fore0121
Riding, always Riding
 
fore0121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes: Cervelo r3
Posts: 802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fixer
maximan 1.......don't tell me this was you!
Is that for real? Where was that?

f
fore0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:15 AM   #22
thomson
Senior Member
 
thomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fore0121
Is that for real? Where was that?

The lead 'cop' car was actually the perpetrator car with a little editing (given a white top, flashing light) and the bicycle was added. It cracks me up though, very funny video.
thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:17 AM   #23
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fore0121
Is that for real? Where was that?

f

no way fake...That guy looked like he was going 40+mph!
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:20 AM   #24
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanknight
After you become an adjult, the government allows Darwin to take a little bit of control back.

Not really, a motorcycle requires a helmet, its the law, atleast in California.
BigSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:29 AM   #25
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: East Baldwin, ME
Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2013 PedalForce RS3-ISP, 2015 Trek 520 Disc
Posts: 6,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleave
I hope cyclingtom doesn't read this thread.
LOL
GuitarWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.