Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Opinions - what would you do?

    So I have a quick decision to make.

    From my favorite bike shop I ordered a NEW Santa Cruz Superlight. The bike will be shipped in December. The Superlight has been redesigned. It's not a big change but there has been a change. The bike is gonna cost me around $2,000.

    I just got a call from the bike shop. Santa Cruz shipped them a 2006 bike. It's basically the same bike - same color and component kit but different frame. They are selling this bike for $1,350 (if I come pick it up) or $1500 if shipped. When I add the King headset cost is $1,450.

    What would you do? Wait for the newer allegedly improved frame and pay more (and have to wait) or take the deal being offered now? I would have to drive up to Santa Maria this weekend to pick the bike up. I need to decide shortly!
    Last edited by Pamestique; 11-02-06 at 03:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member bitingduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,929
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally prefer to buy last years model at a big discount-- usually I shop for bikes when I think that's what I'll get. Unless the design change was to fix some potentially serious flaw (e.g. bb inserts design problematic on pre-99 trek OCLV) you pay a big premium to get this years model.
    Track - the other off-road
    http://www.lavelodrome.org

  3. #3
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    C'daleSupersix, 87' schwinn circuit, Trek Rumblefish 29er, Spesh Rockhopper SS 29er
    Posts
    6,673
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the super light is a GREAT bike to begin with, I'm sure the small changes aren't worth 500+ bucks more. $500 can be better spent on a great set of light weight wheels or something or a super nice HID light set for night riding season.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think Id save the money an go with the 06. That $500 could be better spent on me.

  5. #5
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '06


    Time is just a number...It was the absolute state-of-the-art just 1 year ago. It's brand-new, and now you can get it for a steal. No brainer.
    Mo'Phat's Rules to Live By:
    Rule #3 : Never wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.
    Rule #5 : Never argue with an idiot: those watching might not be able to tell the difference.
    Rule #13: Always make sure she has a better time than you do.

  6. #6
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I called the shop and am picking up the New (old) bike on Saturday. I'm loving the fact I'm saving some money especially since I still need to sell the old(new) bike!!!!

    Thanks for the input!!!

    And BigSean... the money can actually be better spent on me! I still need to add the headset and most likely Hope Seat Post clamp and skewers (just because - I need to add some bling). Now, if the new bike would just make me a better rider....

  7. #7
    Resident Misogynist sidepocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand, if you do not get the bike you truly want, it will always be there in the back of your mind.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam
    Thanks - I called the shop and am picking up the New (old) bike on Saturday. I'm loving the fact I'm saving some money especially since I still need to sell the old(new) bike!!!!

    Thanks for the input!!!

    And BigSean... the money can actually be better spent on me! I still need to add the headset and most likely Hope Seat Post clamp and skewers (just because - I need to add some bling). Now, if the new bike would just make me a better rider....

    Oh well, it was worth a try. Id buy yourself something nice since you saved all the bucks. Thats what good deals are all about.

  9. #9
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come down here for a ride sometime and I'll buy you lunch with some of my savings!

  10. #10
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam
    Come down here for a ride sometime and I'll buy you lunch with some of my savings!

    I am going to do that at some point, but I have a feeling you will spend the saving before I can get there.

  11. #11
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidepocket
    On the other hand, if you do not get the bike you truly want, it will always be there in the back of your mind.
    Having the $500 makes that a much easier pill to swallow. I find I only have buyers' remorse when there's two similar products at about the same price, and I opted for one over the other.
    Mo'Phat's Rules to Live By:
    Rule #3 : Never wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.
    Rule #5 : Never argue with an idiot: those watching might not be able to tell the difference.
    Rule #13: Always make sure she has a better time than you do.

  12. #12
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually went into the shop asking for the older model in hopes there would be a discount so I'm not unhappy. This works out great for me. Having bought two new fullies in 2006 I really didn't need to spend any more money!!!!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam
    I actually went into the shop asking for the older model in hopes there would be a discount so I'm not unhappy. This works out great for me. Having bought two new fullies in 2006 I really didn't need to spend any more money!!!!!


    You got through bikes like I do. I buy just because I want a new one. Then I bought a Yeti, and its been love ever since.

  14. #14
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah it's not like that at all at least for me. My buddy Richard yes he buys bikes like they are groceries... usually a new one each month (I'm not kidding). I've had the same road bike for 5 years (and before that the same for 20). I had an old hardtail for years and years and it blew up. I bought another hardtail (which I love and still ride) but was offered a used fully which I rode for a couple of years but then needed to move up and I bought the Spec on a whim. Probably should have researched it first. It's a tad too much bike for me. I really wanted the Superlight and passed cause it was more expensive and now realized should just have gone with that bike in the first place. SO... I get cancer, beat cancer and now reward myself with the bike I wanted in the first place. I'm hoping this one last a long time and who knows, if my skills improve I alway have the Spec.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam
    Nah it's not like that at all at least for me. My buddy Richard yes he buys bikes like they are groceries... usually a new one each month (I'm not kidding). I've had the same road bike for 5 years (and before that the same for 20). I had an old hardtail for years and years and it blew up. I bought another hardtail (which I love and still ride) but was offered a used fully which I rode for a couple of years but then needed to move up and I bought the Spec on a whim. Probably should have researched it first. It's a tad too much bike for me. I really wanted the Superlight and passed cause it was more expensive and now realized should just have gone with that bike in the first place. SO... I get cancer, beat cancer and now reward myself with the bike I wanted in the first place. I'm hoping this one last a long time and who knows, if my skills improve I alway have the Spec.

    Yeah, that Specialized is a nice bike, I have a friend that loves his. Im more into the less popular stuff. I am gonna have to start thinking about my next purchase, maybe a Ti hardtail or a custom steel hardtail.

  16. #16
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sean if you are serious about the Custom Ti or steel hardtail - look up Jim Kish, in Santa Maria. He built 5 bikes for my buddy Richard. The hardtail he built last year (all Ti baby) is a beauty is well worth the money (and RIchard and Scott at Main Street put on some really nice components - custom wheels and all). Main Street Cycles is an authorized Kish dealer but I'm sure there are others in your area. My dream is to =someday when my ship/prince/inheritance comes in= to have Kish build me a custom Ti road bike and then have it painted by Spectrum Powerworks.

  17. #17
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam
    Sean if you are serious about the Custom Ti or steel hardtail - look up Jim Kish, in Santa Maria. He built 5 bikes for my buddy Richard. The hardtail he built last year (all Ti baby) is a beauty is well worth the money (and RIchard and Scott at Main Street put on some really nice components - custom wheels and all). Main Street Cycles is an authorized Kish dealer but I'm sure there are others in your area. My dream is to =someday when my ship/prince/inheritance comes in= to have Kish build me a custom Ti road bike and then have it painted by Spectrum Powerworks.

    I prefer to build my own bikes, I just want a frame. Its fun to build bikes, specially one Im gonna be riding.

  18. #18
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    C'daleSupersix, 87' schwinn circuit, Trek Rumblefish 29er, Spesh Rockhopper SS 29er
    Posts
    6,673
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw an ad in my mtb mag for Ti mtb frames for $400. I'll try and get a link for you tonight after bowling.

  19. #19
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again check out Jim Kish - he is a frame builder. Mu buddy usually buys the frames and builds the bikes up himself as well. Sometimes he has Kish build a frame just because he has extra components sitting around and he wants to dump them on something. Wish I had that kind of money!

  20. #20
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam
    Again check out Jim Kish - he is a frame builder. Mu buddy usually buys the frames and builds the bikes up himself as well. Sometimes he has Kish build a frame just because he has extra components sitting around and he wants to dump them on something. Wish I had that kind of money!

    Yeah I need custom. Basic sizes wont work for my next bike. I want something special.

  21. #21
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want my Steamroller frame duplicated in titanium.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •