Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    That Felt Great!!

    Just returned from my morning loop around the neighborhood. 40 with a gentle (cool) breeze. What a great way to start the day!!

  2. #2
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    Just returned from my morning loop around the neighborhood. 40 with a gentle (cool) breeze. What a great way to start the day!!
    You're crazy. Completely crazy.

  3. #3
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    You're crazy. Completely crazy.
    +1!

  4. #4
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    You're crazy. Completely crazy.

    yes, I am

    But, it is unbelievable out there. Who'd thunk it?

    I like night riding but early, very early, morning riding has it beat!! Zero cars!! So peaceful, just some joggers and me. I ride a fixed gear so it silently cuts through the streets, I really can't describe it.

    OK, who's with me tomorrow? M.E.? Brandy? Come on, you'll love it!!!


    I forgot to mention, since there are no cars, I am actually going to join the iPod world.

  5. #5
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    OK, who's with me tomorrow? M.E.? Brandy? Come on, you'll love it!!!


    I forgot to mention, since there are no cars, I am actually going to join the iPod world.
    Well it's funny you mention it, I am going to start riding in the mornings, at least until I replace my headlight.

    But as far a the ipod goes, I know a lot of people on here do it, but I think it incredibly dangerous no matter what. I know when I ride my bike, I want to hear everything around me. And if you ride in LA, there are always cars! They can sneak up on you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Well it's funny you mention it, I am going to start riding in the mornings, at least until I replace my headlight.

    But as far a the ipod goes, I know a lot of people on here do it, but I think it incredibly dangerous no matter what. I know when I ride my bike, I want to hear everything around me. And if you ride in LA, there are always cars! They can sneak up on you.
    I totally agree with you on the iPod except, I really do not run into any cars on my morning route. No traffic signals, nothing. It is all hills. So, I am going to try it, one ear to start.

    If I were riding with ANY traffic, I would not, I know my ears have kept me out of a few crashes.

  7. #7
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    OK, who's with me tomorrow? M.E.? Brandy? Come on, you'll love it!!!
    Considering that it took me 20 minutes in a hot shower yesterday to warm back up after my ride (and the temps were in the mid-high 50's) I'm going to say...ummm...thanks for the offer, but NO THANKS!

  8. #8
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thomson: Don't use the stock iPod earbuds...they're crap, and let in a lot of wind noise. I got some plugs that actually go in the ear canal and have a silicone rubber seal. Work great. I'll see if I can find 'em online.
    Mo'Phat's Rules to Live By:
    Rule #3 : Never wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.
    Rule #5 : Never argue with an idiot: those watching might not be able to tell the difference.
    Rule #13: Always make sure she has a better time than you do.

  9. #9
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    Considering that it took me 20 minutes in a hot shower yesterday to warm back up after my ride (and the temps were in the mid-high 50's) I'm going to say...ummm...thanks for the offer, but NO THANKS!
    You need a jacuzzi

  10. #10
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
    Thomson: Don't use the stock iPod earbuds...they're crap, and let in a lot of wind noise. I got some plugs that actually go in the ear canal and have a silicone rubber seal. Work great. I'll see if I can find 'em online.
    Thanks, I was wondering which earphones come with them. I don't need anything fancy, high fidelity is not that important. I just don't want something that falls out.

  11. #11
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get something like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX51L...768052-6520906

    Since you're only going to use 1 ear (which is what I suggest...never two ears with in-ear earphones), you're only going to get 1 side of the stereo spectrum anyway, so fidelity is of little concern.
    Mo'Phat's Rules to Live By:
    Rule #3 : Never wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.
    Rule #5 : Never argue with an idiot: those watching might not be able to tell the difference.
    Rule #13: Always make sure she has a better time than you do.

  12. #12
    Senior Member mkadam68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
    My Bikes
    2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
    Posts
    3,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up front: I probably won't change your opinion NOR do I intend to. And after reading you on BF for awhile, I certainly respect you, your accomplishments, and wish no offense. (Am I getting serious enough?) So this is just my two cents:

    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    I know when I ride my bike, I want to hear everything around me.
    I like to as well, but when I ride (sans-headphones/ipod/whatever) the wind makes hearing everything impossible anyway. I can barely hear other riders talking right next to me (of course, that could just be my grey hair...)

    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    And if you ride in LA, there are always cars!
    I don't use earphones all the time...and at first, I held your position of no earphones at any time. But now, in the early AM (I commute to work from 4:30--6:10am) I use them on bike paths near home and through Griffith Park. It's completely dark: any cars approaching I can see their headlights. I also keep the volume down so I can hear the louder noises (I suppose every little bit helps...)

    On the way home (3:30--5:15pm)...no earphones. Too much traffic then.

    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    They can sneak up on you.
    Is it possible a car could have its lights off? Yep. 'Course stranger things happen during the daytime when I can't see their headlights anyway.

  13. #13
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
    Get something like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX51L...768052-6520906

    Since you're only going to use 1 ear (which is what I suggest...never two ears with in-ear earphones), you're only going to get 1 side of the stereo spectrum anyway, so fidelity is of little concern.
    How well do they stay in the ear? I was considering the "over the head" style and leave one (or both) of the ear pieces just outside the ear.

  14. #14
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I have that model...I think I have Sonys, but they may be JVC. Some come with different size ear pieces so you can custom-fit them to your ear.

    I think the only time I had one pull out was when I turned my head and there wasn't enough slack in the cord. Now I give the cord a few turns around my chin strap and it's never fallen out.

    You could always get one that has a rubber hook that goes over the ear. I tried one, but it made my glasses uncomfortable. I think the over-the-head style would annoy me, having one of the ear pieces up against the side of my head.
    Mo'Phat's Rules to Live By:
    Rule #3 : Never wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.
    Rule #5 : Never argue with an idiot: those watching might not be able to tell the difference.
    Rule #13: Always make sure she has a better time than you do.

  15. #15
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
    I don't know if I have that model...I think I have Sonys, but they may be JVC. Some come with different size ear pieces so you can custom-fit them to your ear.

    I think the only time I had one pull out was when I turned my head and there wasn't enough slack in the cord. Now I give the cord a few turns around my chin strap and it's never fallen out.

    You could always get one that has a rubber hook that goes over the ear. I tried one, but it made my glasses uncomfortable. I think the over-the-head style would annoy me, having one of the ear pieces up against the side of my head.
    Good info. I will check out the various options. Thanks.

  16. #16
    Dagger Boy Extort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    My Bikes
    1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road
    Posts
    3,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are what I use...


    Sony
    Women think they're so clever because they can fake an orgasm for the sake of a relationship, but men can fake a whole relationship for the sake of an orgasm.

  17. #17
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extort
    There are what I use...


    Sony
    That looks secure.

    btw, at the risk of further pissing off M.E., on these morning rides, I do not wear glasses or a helmet. So, no interference there.

  18. #18
    Dagger Boy Extort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    My Bikes
    1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road
    Posts
    3,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    That looks secure.

    btw, at the risk of further pissing off M.E., on these morning rides, I do not wear glasses or a helmet. So, no interference there.
    The helmet strap behind my ear actually holds the headphones in place, and the forward facing speaker does not hinder your hearing as much as true ear plugs. I also used a pair during the entire Solvang Spring Double and they did not short out (it rained a little bit that day...).
    Women think they're so clever because they can fake an orgasm for the sake of a relationship, but men can fake a whole relationship for the sake of an orgasm.

  19. #19
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extort
    The helmet strap behind my ear actually holds the headphones in place, and the forward facing speaker does not hinder your hearing as much as true ear plugs. I also used a pair during the entire Solvang Spring Double and they did not short out (it rained a little bit that day...).
    a LITTLE?? I rode that double as well and I remember it being a bit more than a drizzle. A friend that I was riding with ruined his Brooks that day. Mine came through with no issues.
    I also caught the Butterflood (2005) ride. I do have a knack for pickin' them.

  20. #20
    riding once again jschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
    Posts
    7,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the original point, yes, it was really nice riding out early this morning. There were surprisingly many roadies out despite the cold. And it really wasn't too bad after a few minutes to let my legs warm up. A few miles in, I found myself at the bottom of a short hill with a group of comparable speed climbers. We hit the hill hard, and another guy and I took off at a speed I've never climbed that hill at. And then near the top, as I was fading, he turned it up another notch and blew right by me. I definitely didn't feel cold after that little excursion.
    If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

  21. #21
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jschen
    Back to the original point, yes, it was really nice riding out early this morning. There were surprisingly many roadies out despite the cold. And it really wasn't too bad after a few minutes to let my legs warm up. A few miles in, I found myself at the bottom of a short hill with a group of comparable speed climbers. We hit the hill hard, and another guy and I took off at a speed I've never climbed that hill at. And then near the top, as I was fading, he turned it up another notch and blew right by me. I definitely didn't feel cold after that little excursion.
    My loop is all short hills, no flat areas at all. So I am either working to go up the hills or trying to keep the fixed slow enough going down. I don't experience the windchill factor. All I am wearing is jeans and a sweatshirt. If i was out on the open road, it certainly would be colder.

    The gentle breeze I experienced this morning has turned into some pretty strong winds. Glad I got the ride out of the way.

  22. #22
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    smashed Supersix
    Posts
    6,777
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too early and toooooo cold, I was warm in bed til 8:30

  23. #23
    Member of Team Wheaties! octico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fullerton
    My Bikes
    06 Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    1,105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    too early and toooooo cold, I was warm in bed til 8:30
    Agreed I have to wait at least until 9am to start riding. The traffic has slowed down, and it's not so cold.
    "Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb."
    Sir Winston Churchill

  24. #24
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    smashed Supersix
    Posts
    6,777
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    might be colder tomorrow with all the winds we're going to get.....BURRRRRR

  25. #25
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    might be colder tomorrow with all the winds we're going to get.....BURRRRRR
    I will let you know. I should be done about 5:00am. Care to join me? Brandy is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •