Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-07, 11:40 PM   #1
merider1
no more nellie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whittier Narrows Quickie, Monday, Jan 15

Martin Luther King Day - If you're off from work...

Location: Encanto Park, 751 Encanto Pkwy, Duarte
Meet: 8:45am
Roll: 9:00am
Distance: 50 miles RT
Tempo: Moderate to Fast - if some want to hammer, they can, while others can take it easy, you really can't get lost
Elevation gain: next to zero, nada, one little itty-bitty hill
Lunch after: Green Onion
Route Description: Down SGRT to split, quick pass over road, back on SGRT to Whittier Narrows and then back. Nothing fancy but a quick 50 miles.
I'll have a route slip printed out for you guys ON Monday. Hopefully posted here by Sunday night as well. It's pretty easy route, out and back. No one will get lost, I promise!

Please let me know if you are interested.

Yes, SGRT for me:
merider1
Ronjon10
Tbrown524
Luwin
Bernmart
Magicant (Maybe)
Just me
Mr. Beanz

Last edited by merider1; 01-12-07 at 12:00 PM.
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 11:41 PM   #2
voltman
It is fantastic.
 
voltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The OC
Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro
Posts: 7,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I cannot go.
voltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 11:43 PM   #3
merider1
no more nellie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltman
Yes, I cannot go.
Yes, I'm not surprised.
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 11:45 PM   #4
Drew12
They Exist
 
Drew12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca........ Life is good...
Bikes: Yeti 575, Intense Tracer, Specialized Rubaix Pro
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Monday, got to work.
Maybe next time.
Drew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 11:46 PM   #5
Scootcore
I'm Just Sayin'.....
 
Scootcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
Bikes: A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not sure if im working or not yet...
__________________
Mistakes are just fine. Just don't make excuses....
Scootcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 12:05 AM   #6
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Sorry, I can't make it. I'm working that day...

Last edited by roadfix; 01-04-07 at 10:48 AM.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 12:45 AM   #7
ronjon10
Senior Member
 
ronjon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 2,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm off that day. Count me in, though it's going to ruin my miles to elevation ratio...
__________________
just being
ronjon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 02:01 AM   #8
jpconrad
Racerboy Douchebaggery
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could add in the Rio Hondo so you aren't going down and coming back up the SGRT.

At the base of the dam you take Arrow Hwy a couple miles West to Myrtle/Peck. Make a left on Peck, go a mile or two, and you got the Peck Conservation Area on the right where you catch the Rio Hondo. Take it down to the Narrows, cross over to the SGRT, and continue back.
jpconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 09:32 AM   #9
merider1
no more nellie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconrad
You could add in the Rio Hondo so you aren't going down and coming back up the SGRT.

At the base of the dam you take Arrow Hwy a couple miles West to Myrtle/Peck. Make a left on Peck, go a mile or two, and you got the Peck Conservation Area on the right where you catch the Rio Hondo. Take it down to the Narrows, cross over to the SGRT, and continue back.
I'll map it as I've heard that before and never tried it. You coming, John?
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 10:00 AM   #10
tbrown524
Robbie McEwen Wannabe
 
tbrown524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Bikes: Trek 2200
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Count me in...
tbrown524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 10:02 AM   #11
merider1
no more nellie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown524
Count me in...
To you and Ron. I officially have a ride.
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 11:45 AM   #12
jpconrad
Racerboy Douchebaggery
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merider1
I'll map it as I've heard that before and never tried it. You coming, John?
I'd like to, but it doesn't look good at this point.
jpconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 12:11 PM   #13
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!
 
Mo'Phat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Poway, CA
Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
Posts: 4,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm working

Why does my boss and/or union hate civil rights?
Mo'Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:24 PM   #14
flipflops
Hello, heroes.
 
flipflops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Bikes: '08 madone 5.1 WSD, '05 specialized dolce
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm almost in, considering playing hookie from work. Might even convince my BF to do it-- Ronjon10 I may need your help with that.
__________________
Stay frosty.
flipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:45 PM   #15
ronjon10
Senior Member
 
ronjon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 2,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflops
i'm almost in, considering playing hookie from work. Might even convince my BF to do it-- Ronjon10 I may need your help with that.
I hear you drop him like yesterdays news in the hills. I'll work on him, you work on the hooky.
__________________
just being
ronjon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:45 PM   #16
herbm
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
Posts: 4,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking of plating hookie...actually I will "work from home"
I am also trying to convince Markaj to ride this...but he is resistant to a hammerfest...
herbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:51 PM   #17
merider1
no more nellie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbm
I am thinking of plating hookie...actually I will "work from home"
I am also trying to convince Markaj to ride this...but he is resistant to a hammerfest...

Tell Mark that I'm not hammering any fest that day, okay. The fest will live to see another day and different hammer.
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:54 PM   #18
ronjon10
Senior Member
 
ronjon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 2,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbm
I am thinking of plating hookie...actually I will "work from home"
I am also trying to convince Markaj to ride this...but he is resistant to a hammerfest...
I'm going to be there, therefore, it won't be a hammerfest.

M.E. will be coming off the stagecoach century saturday and a baldy ascent sunday. I'm hoping that'll be enough to knock some of the wind out of her sails(?)
__________________
just being
ronjon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 05:02 PM   #19
merider1
no more nellie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon10
I'm going to be there, therefore, it won't be a hammerfest.

M.E. will be coming off the stagecoach century saturday and a baldy ascent sunday. I'm hoping that'll be enough to knock some of the wind out of her sails(?)
Oh, for cry-eye...that's a little too much like sandbaggin', Ron! And, trust me, you don't want any wind knocked out of me...
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 05:05 PM   #20
herbm
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
Posts: 4,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know...he saw that tempo thing ....and whats funny is..he can hang with the fasties....
We'll see...I have a week to work on him...
herbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 05:14 PM   #21
merider1
no more nellie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbm
I know...he saw that tempo thing ....and whats funny is..he can hang with the fasties....
We'll see...I have a week to work on him...
Well, Herb, not to toot my own horn, but you did notice on last week's ride that I left no one behind? I waited at every regroup stop to ensure all riders were accounted for. I also rode back with the last of the pack (not that they were behind me in pace at all!) to ensure they found their way back. The only person I didn't account for was Grumpypig (my bad) who was with Vireo and Brandy - who were headed to the ski lifts by the time I made it to the village. The point I'm trying to make is, I've set this ride up knowing that some who are not as fast as others may show up. I will again ensure they are not left behind. Besides, the ride is for fun, as most of my BF organized rides will be. The rides I intend to train diehard on are the organized centuries at which we will all regroup at the end anyway, and everyone will have routeslips, SAG, etc. and will be going his/her own pace. But when I organize a ride, I feel responsible to the riders who come out (GP night rides, Griffith Park/Rose Bowl rides and rides like the Bloat ride). Unless I indicate, "Hard, fast pace, drop ride" in the description area of Post #1 - you can expect this etiquette from me. But that's just me and how I do it. Others may do it another way.
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 05:20 PM   #22
herbm
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
Posts: 4,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merider1
Well, Herb, not to toot my own horn, but you did notice on last week's ride that I left no one behind? I waited at every regroup stop to ensure all riders were accounted for. I also rode back with the last of the pack (not that they were behind me in pace at all!) to ensure they found their way back. The only person I didn't account for was Grumpypig (my bad) who was with Vireo and Brandy - who were headed to the ski lifts by the time I made it to the village. The point I'm trying to make is, I've set this ride up knowing that some who are not as fast as others may show up. I will again ensure they are not left behind. Besides, the ride is for fun, as most of my BF organized rides will be. The rides I intend to train diehard on are the organized centuries at which we will all regroup at the end anyway, and everyone will have routeslips, SAG, etc. and will be going his/her own pace. But when I organize a ride, I feel responsible to the riders who come out (GP night rides, Griffith Park/Rose Bowl rides and rides like the Bloat ride). Unless I indicate, "Hard, fast pace, drop ride" in the description area of Post #1 - you can expect this etiquette from me. But that's just me and how I do it. Others may do it another way.

Yes I noticed...since i was the last one you were waiting for usually...

We know this trail...so I would not expect anyone to wait for me anyway...

Are you still planning to do Rio Hondo as part of this? There are a few miles on streets...lots of trucks in that area...
You can ride down SGRT to the narrows...over to rio hondo and take it north till it ends...there is a park and restrooms there...then just head back the same way...I think that is about 50 miles...its nice out and back with minimal street crossings....
herbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 05:26 PM   #23
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if I can hang with you's, but I'll more than likely show up. Gina's gotta work, so it's either waste time on the computer, or ride! Maybe someone will bring a rt slip incase I fall behind. I plan to stay with the goupr though.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 05:32 PM   #24
merider1
no more nellie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbm
Yes I noticed...since i was the last one you were waiting for usually...

We know this trail...so I would not expect anyone to wait for me anyway...

Are you still planning to do Rio Hondo as part of this? There are a few miles on streets...lots of trucks in that area...
You can ride down SGRT to the narrows...over to rio hondo and take it north till it ends...there is a park and restrooms there...then just head back the same way...I think that is about 50 miles...its nice out and back with minimal street crossings....
You know, I think I'm confusing Whittier Narrows with Rio Hondo. Basically, the route I mean is out on SGRT to the split in the trail (if you round the curve and bear left, you head to Seal Beach, if you go straight, you cross a little bridge and then come to a road, cross -first Right, then straight -and then get back on a bike path that pretty much deadends at a park). There is a tiny airport that you pass (private, single engine planes). Out and Back is almost 50 miles exactly (might be 52) and there is only that one cross on the road that you encounter traffic. Do I speak of Rio Hondo?
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 05:36 PM   #25
merider1
no more nellie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I'm not sure if I can hang with you's, but I'll more than likely show up. Gina's gotta work, so it's either waste time on the computer, or ride! Maybe someone will bring a rt slip incase I fall behind. I plan to stay with the goupr though.
I will have a routeslip for this ride. Even though it's out and back on SGRT, if you did turn the wrong way, you could end up in Long beach!
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 PM.