Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Sandbagging

  1. #1
    Racerboy Douchebaggery jpconrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rosebowl Land
    My Bikes
    2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    3,200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sandbagging

    What speed do you have to average below so that it's not considered sandbagging when you say you're slow?

    I've always felt I was slow (I've got the MB data to prove it), and it seems that some of the riders in this forum are really fast, at least the average speeds they mention are higher than I can achieve consistently ( I think I've spent too much time in the Road Biking forum).

    Wouldn't posting optimistically high average speeds be pretty much the same as reverse Sandbagging?

    Am I rambling? Maybe I should try and get some work done today, I don't think I'm making much sense so I might as well get paid to be incoherent.

  2. #2
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to run Marcel to preschool, but I just wanted to say...

    I'm SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

  3. #3
    oo..O.O.o..OO...o magicant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    Synapse
    Posts
    1,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking I may train with actual sandbags on my touring bike. Build up some leg strength.

    Hard to say whether or not you're slow unless you're riding with a group over the same terrain in the same conditions. Not much basis for comparison, just comparing speeds.
    If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't you be happy?

  4. #4
    Senior Member ronjon10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
    My Bikes
    IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
    Posts
    2,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpconrad
    What speed do you have to average below so that it's not considered sandbagging when you say you're slow?

    I've always felt I was slow (I've got the MB data to prove it), and it seems that some of the riders in this forum are really fast, at least the average speeds they mention are higher than I can achieve consistently ( I think I've spent too much time in the Road Biking forum).

    Wouldn't posting optimistically high average speeds be pretty much the same as reverse Sandbagging?

    Am I rambling? Maybe I should try and get some work done today, I don't think I'm making much sense so I might as well get paid to be incoherent.
    You climb faster than I do (it's a 2x proven fact). Therefore, you'd be sandbagging.
    just being

  5. #5
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a reverse sandbagger.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  6. #6
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer
    I am a reverse sandbagger.
    +1 sometimes. Other times, if I say I'm slow, it usually means I'm tired and don't push me, damnit, just go ahead and I'll meet you at the next stop. Personally, I despise the term sandbagging. Everyone is slow at some point if he/she is a bit behind and bringing up the rear, just as everyone is fast at some point if he/she is leading the pack and there is a gap between she/ she and the rest of the riders. What I want to know is, what are you called if you are consistently right smack in the middle??? You know, not in front ahead, but not behind, lagging?

  7. #7
    Senior Member ronjon10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
    My Bikes
    IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
    Posts
    2,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    What I want to know is, what are you called if you are consistently right smack in the middle??? You know, not in front ahead, but not behind, lagging?
    From my point of view, these people are known as speed demons
    just being

  8. #8
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea I was a sandbagger...because I rarely ride with people.

    Here's the thing though, You can only sandbag once, and you're labeled a sandbagger for life.
    Mo'Phat's Rules to Live By:
    Rule #3 : Never wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.
    Rule #5 : Never argue with an idiot: those watching might not be able to tell the difference.
    Rule #13: Always make sure she has a better time than you do.

  9. #9
    Racerboy Douchebaggery jpconrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rosebowl Land
    My Bikes
    2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    3,200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    +1 sometimes. Other times, if I say I'm slow, it usually means I'm tired and don't push me, damnit, just go ahead and I'll meet you at the next stop. Personally, I despise the term sandbagging. Everyone is slow at some point if he/she is a bit behind and bringing up the rear, just as everyone is fast at some point if he/she is leading the pack and there is a gap between she/ she and the rest of the riders. What I want to know is, what are you called if you are consistently right smack in the middle??? You know, not in front ahead, but not behind, lagging?

    I don't think I really phased it as well as I meant to. Sometimes I feel it's necessary to tell others I'm slow, not to sandbag, but when I see some of the speeds others supposedly do I think to myself "Damn, I'm really slow, I better make sure they know if they ride with me they're gonna be waiting a lot or held back."

    Whether or not it's accurate, I'm not really sure. When I ride by myself, which is most of the time, I look at the numbers I get and feel I'm about as slow as you can get. When I've been on a ride with the BF'ers, I've held my own, but I can't say it's alleviated the feeling that I'm slow.

  10. #10
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpconrad
    Whether or not it's accurate, I'm not really sure. When I ride by myself, which is most of the time, I look at the numbers I get and feel I'm about as slow as you can get. When I've been on a ride with the BF'ers, I've held my own, but I can't say it's alleviated the feeling that I'm slow.

    When I ride by myself, I'm constantly looking at the speedometer. There's not much else to look at (scenery aside). On group rides, you're clipping along, talking, joking, and generally just keeping up nicely. I rarely check the speedo on group rides, but lo and behold, my average speed is from 2 to 3 mph faster when I ride with a group.

    Sure, I'm drafting, but not all the time.
    Mo'Phat's Rules to Live By:
    Rule #3 : Never wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.
    Rule #5 : Never argue with an idiot: those watching might not be able to tell the difference.
    Rule #13: Always make sure she has a better time than you do.

  11. #11
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,033
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a difference in the reading your computer gives you when you glance down at it, and the final average at the end of the ride. I don't think very many people know that cause 9 out of 10 riders I know average 26mph into the wind...with no shows on!

    Lotsa Bull out there!

  12. #12
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
    Lotsa Bull out there!
    Including BF. I swear a lot of folks just never figured out that their little computers are displaying KPH not MPH!
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  13. #13
    Racerboy Douchebaggery jpconrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rosebowl Land
    My Bikes
    2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    3,200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom
    Including BF. I swear a lot of folks just never figured out that their little computers are displaying KPH not MPH!
    That's it, I'm switching to kilometers!

  14. #14
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandbagging is like having insurance. If do don't do too well on the ride, you still save face.
    But a reverse sandbagger like I am can sometimes blow up in your face, and that's happened to me several times....
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  15. #15
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpconrad
    I don't think I really phased it as well as I meant to. Sometimes I feel it's necessary to tell others I'm slow, not to sandbag, but when I see some of the speeds others supposedly do I think to myself "Damn, I'm really slow, I better make sure they know if they ride with me they're gonna be waiting a lot or held back."
    .
    Well, I've ridden with you John and I'd say you are neither slow nor a sandbagger.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, if I think I'm going to be slower than the group, or I figure that out during the ride, what I'll generally say is "If you folks get way out in front of me, feel free to drop me." That gives me enough wiggle room to do as needed without making any big deal out of it.

    The dynamics of a group, competitiveness--drafting--conversation--will often help to pull you to higher speeds that you wouldn't normally achieve so it's hard to make a judgement at the beginning. When I ride alone, I can average 15 or 16 mph, yet New Year's Day riding with a bike club, we blasted along for 3 hours averaging 18+.

    So, sometimes I surprise myself and keep up and others I'll finish alone.

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  17. #17
    Racerboy Douchebaggery jpconrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rosebowl Land
    My Bikes
    2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    3,200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
    When I ride by myself, I'm constantly looking at the speedometer. There's not much else to look at (scenery aside). On group rides, you're clipping along, talking, joking, and generally just keeping up nicely. I rarely check the speedo on group rides, but lo and behold, my average speed is from 2 to 3 mph faster when I ride with a group.
    That's probably a good portion of it. I think I'm also a bit more sore after riding with a group, too, so I probably push a little harder than I do solo.

  18. #18
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,033
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm a slow starter, so I usally feel like a sandbag at the start of a ride! IS that the samething?

  19. #19
    Dagger Boy Extort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    My Bikes
    1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road
    Posts
    3,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpconrad
    Wouldn't posting optimistically high average speeds be pretty much the same as reverse Sandbagging?
    I like to refer to 'reverse sandbagging' as 'confidence in one's ability to stay in front of the pack'.
    and as I said in another thread, Arrogance is merely another word for pretension.
    Women think they're so clever because they can fake an orgasm for the sake of a relationship, but men can fake a whole relationship for the sake of an orgasm.

  20. #20
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    C'daleSupersix, 87' schwinn circuit, Trek Rumblefish 29er, Spesh Rockhopper SS 29er
    Posts
    6,678
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a computer on my roadie, though I should someday.

    Sandbagging= how fast other perceive you to ride, then you come out and blow all expectations out of the water
    ...mad as a box of frogs

  21. #21
    ... Tiffanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Mateo
    Posts
    3,514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    What I want to know is, what are you called if you are consistently right smack in the middle??? You know, not in front ahead, but not behind, lagging?
    A 'tweener?

  22. #22
    oo..O.O.o..OO...o magicant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    Synapse
    Posts
    1,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie
    A 'tweener?
    I call it a "summer rider" -- summer faster, summer slower.

    If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't you be happy?

  23. #23
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicant
    I call it a "summer rider" -- summer faster, summer slower.

    That's good!

  24. #24
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicant
    I call it a "summer rider" -- summer faster, summer slower.

    You funny Fine, I want to be either a tweener or a summer rider - but don't call me a sandbagger!

  25. #25
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...on sandbagging...I like this "Sandbagging is like having insurance. If do don't do too well on the ride, you still save face." As a newer rider, that's what I need! I need insurance!!!! Sandbagging to me has become a huge joke though and it makes me laugh that people get so bent about it, and really, makes me want to do it more. That said...my riding is improving and I want to acknowledge that, without coming off as...I don't know...cocky? I figure it's just easier to sandbag, you all would expect no less from me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •