Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 255
  1. #1
    labeled rude by nOObs Vireo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon, Cervelo Soloist SL, Cervelo R3 SL, Felt F2 w/Di2
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Breathless Agony Preview March 25th

    I know it is a little ways out but let's get the buzz going on this one.

    Sunday March 25, 2007 we will preview the Breathless Agony Century course. It is 112 miles and 12,000 feet of climbing. The tough part is you climb 11,000 feet in the first 75 miles. Yes there is 1,000 feet of gain in the last 40 miles. Once you hit Onyx Summit at 8443 feet "it's all downhill from there". The first pass is on a dirt road, Jack Rabbit Trail, then the second pass is Oak Glen. There is a descent after the first two climbs. But then next two passes, Angelus Oaks and Onyx Summit really hurt because they go up and up-- no downhill in between the climbs. The climb up to Onyx Summit from Rest Stop #2 is almost 30 miles of continous climbing.

    2006 Results

    Ok so who wants to do some serious climbing? Want to see the elevation graph?

    SAGgers

    Mandy

    Riders

    Vireo
    Brandy
    jschen
    Tak962
    Pico
    Blue nose
    Madmike

    Maybers

    Grumpy Pig
    Last edited by Vireo; 01-11-07 at 01:52 AM.

  2. #2
    Whateverthehell Chucklehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.S.A.
    My Bikes
    '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.
    Posts
    7,433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm going to have to start prepping for a short season with a goal of a top ten or so at san luis rey, so i'll probably be up for some good climbing in the next couple of months. once my cold times out, i'll get on the bike and hopefully eventually start doing the group ride thing with you guys again.
    "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo daVinci

  3. #3
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in!

    I wanted to mention that we will have SAG support for this ride too! Thanks to Mandy for volunteering (or maybe being bribed...lol) to SAG this one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strong maybe. Has the start time been set or discussed?

  5. #5
    oo..O.O.o..OO...o magicant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    Synapse
    Posts
    1,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be up for the challenge, but not 6 days before the Solvang Double.
    If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't you be happy?

  6. #6
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No start time yet...sunrise/sunset on that day is 0546 1804. I want a head start though!

  7. #7
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicant
    I'd be up for the challenge, but not 6 days before the Solvang Double.
    Oh come on Joel, if I can do it you can too. <~~~not entirely sure she can do it at all...but willing to give it a shot.

  8. #8
    riding once again jschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
    Posts
    7,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in.
    If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

  9. #9
    oo..O.O.o..OO...o magicant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    Synapse
    Posts
    1,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    Oh come on Joel, if I can do it you can too. <~~~not entirely sure she can do it at all...but willing to give it a shot.
    You're doing this AND the Solvang Double? I was thinking I'd need a light week before the double. I'll think about it. You know how easily my arm is twisted.
    If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't you be happy?

  10. #10
    [Tak962]
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In!

  11. #11
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicant
    You're doing this AND the Solvang Double? I was thinking I'd need a light week before the double. I'll think about it. You know how easily my arm is twisted.
    Just roll over Joel...you know you want to. Solvang is a definite possibility for me, I haven't finalized my decision on which doubles I'm doing.

  12. #12
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh...and it's Mandy's birthday a few days later, so post-ride meal must include birthday cake!!

  13. #13
    Queen of France Indolent58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Look 565, Trek 2120
    Posts
    3,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    No start time yet...sunrise/sunset on that day is 0546 1804. I want a head start though!
    That's not enough daylight. You are all crackers!

  14. #14
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indolent58
    That's not enough daylight. You are all crackers!
    Maybe we can take the train home.

  15. #15
    Queen of France Indolent58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Look 565, Trek 2120
    Posts
    3,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    Maybe we can take the train home.
    I believe the train is called "Two Pass Option"

  16. #16
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indolent58
    I believe the train is called "Two Pass Option"
    Nope...I'm going for the "Four Pass Option"!!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Colnago C40
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will there be a requirement to bring along lights just in case or are we going to turn around before it get's dark? If we need lights, what kinda lights do we need?

    Ian in SD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vireo
    I know it is a little ways out but let's get the buzz going on this one.

    Sunday March 25, 2007 we will preview the Breathless Agony Century course. It is 112 miles and 12,000 feet of climbing. The tough part is you climb 11,000 feet in the first 75 miles. Yes there is 1,000 feet of gain in the last 40 miles. Once you hit Onyx Summit at 8443 feet "it's all downhill from there". The first pass is on a dirt road, Jack Rabbit Trail, then the second pass is Oak Glen. There is a descent after the first two climbs. But then next two passes, Angelus Oaks and Onyx Summit really hurt because they go up and up-- no downhill in between the climbs. The climb up to Onyx Summit from Rest Stop #2 is almost 30 miles of continous climbing.

    Last year I finished 34th with a time just under 6 hours. By the way, the clock stops at the top of Onyx Summit. I really want top 30 on this one. So I will try to ride this course twice before the scheduled event day of May 5, 2007.

    Ok so who wants to do some serious climbing? Want to see the elevation graph?

    SAG

    Mandy

    Riders

    Vireo
    Brandy

  18. #18
    riding once again jschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
    Posts
    7,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indolent58
    That's not enough daylight. You are all crackers!
    At Breathless Agony, one can start around 6 AM if one chooses. (My start time last year was 5:50 AM. About as early as anyone.) One must reach the summit by 3:30 PM. It doesn't take 2 hours to descend 42 miles with minimal flat ground and climbing thrown in along the way. So if one doesn't hang out at the top, one should get back no later than 5:30 if one's to do the ride at a pace that would qualify one for being an official finisher. There's more than enough daylight.
    If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

  19. #19
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If sunrise is at 0546, then civil twilight is even earlier (damn you Jason, you have me obsessed with looking that up on every ride...lol) and you could technically start then without the need for lights.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Pico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    '08 Specialized Roubaix Pro, '06 Trek Fuelx 6
    Posts
    512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vireo
    Last year I finished 34th with a time just under 6 hours. By the way, the clock stops at the top of Onyx Summit. I really want top 30 on this one. So I will try to ride this course twice before the scheduled event day of May 5, 2007.
    [
    I finished 33rd last year so you'll have to get past me first. This year I want to finish in under 5:45.

  21. #21
    It is fantastic. voltman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The OC
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro
    Posts
    7,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pico
    I finished 33rd last year so you'll have to get past me first. This year I want to finish in under 5:45.


    Is there a gauntlet smiley somewhere?

  22. #22
    Queen of France Indolent58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Look 565, Trek 2120
    Posts
    3,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jschen
    So if one doesn't hang out at the top, one should get back no later than 5:30 if one's to do the ride at a pace that would qualify one for being an official finisher.
    So who said anything about qualifying as an official finisher?

  23. #23
    Out of Commission OC Roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put me down as a "strong maybe". I was upset that I was going to have to miss BA this year, it would be fun to do this with you guys. What kind of pace are you planning (riding against the clock, or chatting it up on the climbs?), and how about rest stops. I'd like to be able to go hard, and not have a bunch of 30 minutes stops.
    If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.

  24. #24
    ... Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    6,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Roadie
    What kind of pace are you planning (riding against the clock, or chatting it up on the climbs?), and how about rest stops. .
    I'm planning to kick all of your asses. Plan to be chasing me down all day.

  25. #25
    Senior Member ronjon10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
    My Bikes
    IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
    Posts
    2,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vireo

    Ok so who wants to do some serious climbing? Want to see the elevation graph?
    Who is this Scott McAfee fellow? Does he breath helium?
    just being

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •