Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-07, 09:13 PM   #1
SDRider
Cat None
Thread Starter
 
SDRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I let the BikeForums jersey down yesterday...

I went on a little 15 mile ride on my lunch break with a guy I work with and a few local cyclists but I just didn't have the lungs or legs to keep up with them on the climbs...and we had some good but short climbs. We did a few loops near where I work and it's very hilly there. Still, I fell back on every hill. It sucked. I need to work on my climbing big time!!!

Anyway, they were really cool about it and very positive, which I sometimes am not.

Yeah, I was wearing my SoCal BF jersey...sorry everyone.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 09:16 PM   #2
merider1
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider

Yeah, I was wearing my SoCal BF jersey...sorry everyone.
Why are you apologizing, silly! You were out riding and climbing up hills. Just wearing the jersey is great! Who cares if you didn't stay up with them THIS time. You will eventually be right up in the front. Just keep riding.
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 09:36 PM   #3
SDRider
Cat None
Thread Starter
 
SDRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merider1
Why are you apologizing, silly! You were out riding and climbing up hills. Just wearing the jersey is great! Who cares if you didn't stay up with them THIS time. You will eventually be right up in the front. Just keep riding.
Well, the thing is, this was just a little spin ride for these guys. I've ridden with two of them prior and been able to keep up for the most part. These are short rides for them to just get in some miles, although certainly not a long ride for me either, but they spin up the hills at a pace I can barely match at 100% effort and they are carrying on a casual conversation. Then again, one of them competes at the CAT1 level...I don't know about the rest of them but I do know that a couple others race...not sure at what level. Anyway, I'll ride with them again and I intend to improve. Not trying to prove anything to anyone but myself.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 09:39 PM   #4
Oleanshoebox
fart knocker
 
Oleanshoebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: laying back in the cut
Bikes: Red silver blue, doodie caca poo.
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider
I went on a little 15 mile ride on my lunch break with a guy I work with and a few local cyclists but I just didn't have the lungs or legs to keep up with them on the climbs...and we had some good but short climbs. We did a few loops near where I work and it's very hilly there. Still, I fell back on every hill. It sucked. I need to work on my climbing big time!!!

Anyway, they were really cool about it and very positive, which I sometimes am not.

Yeah, I was wearing my SoCal BF jersey...sorry everyone.
for shame....I kid, I kid.

I'm sure you're a lot stronger than you think you are. When I'm feeling weak I just try to keep in mind that everything is relative and compared to most couch creatures in this country I am friggin he-man.

Besides, as long as you're having fun, who cares?
__________________
Oleanshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 09:39 PM   #5
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider
Well, the thing is, this was just a little spin ride for these guys. I've ridden with two of them prior and been able to keep up for the most part. These are short rides for them to just get in some miles, although certainly not a long ride for me either, but they spin up the hills at a pace I can barely match at 100% effort and they are carrying on a casual conversation. Then again, one of them competes at the CAT1 level...I don't know about the rest of them but I do know that a couple others race...not sure at what level. Anyway, I'll ride with them again and I intend to improve. Not trying to prove anything to anyone but myself.

Join a club, join on the group rides and youll be rippin in no time. But cat 1 good luck with that guy.
BigSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 09:59 PM   #6
magicant
oo..O.O.o..OO...o
 
magicant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glendale, CA
Bikes: Synapse
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleanshoebox
When I'm feeling weak I just try to keep in mind that everything is relative and compared to most couch creatures in this country I am friggin he-man.

Besides, as long as you're having fun, who cares?
+1

Getting out there and doing it says a lot about a person. I'm never winning any races, but compared to everyone I work with, I'd wipe the floor with them.
__________________
If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't you be happy?
magicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 10:15 PM   #7
SDRider
Cat None
Thread Starter
 
SDRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSean
Join a club, join on the group rides and youll be rippin in no time. But cat 1 good luck with that guy.
Thing is, he's the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Very encouraging...hell, he keeps trying to get me to join the Swami's group and to compete.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:53 PM   #8
Extort
Dagger Boy
 
Extort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern California
Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road
Posts: 3,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'll get better with that guy!
He knows that you could mop the floor with all your co-workers so he is happy that He-Man decided to ride
__________________
Women think they're so clever because they can fake an orgasm for the sake of a relationship, but men can fake a whole relationship for the sake of an orgasm.
Extort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 01:37 AM   #9
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't worry about it! I know lots of people that can smoke me in 20-30 miles. But after 50 or 60, I just may smoke 'em back!

Depends on type of rider!...I'm the kind that rides in a tye-dye cotton t-shirt. So when I get smoked, Nobody knows what forum I hang with!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 01:50 AM   #10
my58vw
Meow!
 
my58vw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
Posts: 6,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I let down the BF jersey everytime I ride, my slow little self...

Someone told me - Enjoy the ride! - As long as we are enjoying what we are doing, disgrace could never come to the jersey - or ourselves!

Mandy
__________________
Just your average club rider... :)
my58vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 02:18 AM   #11
kb5ql
SWS: Small Wheel Syndrome
 
kb5ql's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Palo Alto
Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/PedalForce RS2/Specialized Rock Hopper Xtracycle/Periscope Hammerhead
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider
Yeah, I was wearing my SoCal BF jersey...sorry everyone.
Wearing the SoCal BikeForums jersey is the equivalent of some tool wearing the TDF Yellow Jersey. The Cat 1 guy took it as a major slight and shot you the look on each ascent I imagine...

kb5ql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 08:31 AM   #12
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Bikes:
Posts: 11,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I always get dropped by my group, they always wait. It's not a problem to them, if it was, they would just keep going. The best riders are usually the coolest ones about it. They know what it took them to get where they are and they understand a recreational rider isn't doing the same thing. Besides, you've got that cool LeMond.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 08:33 AM   #13
merider1
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big john
I always get dropped by my group, they always wait. It's not a problem to them, if it was, they would just keep going. The best riders are usually the coolest ones about it. They know what it took them to get where they are and they understand a recreational rider isn't doing the same thing. Besides, you've got that cool LeMond.
Yeah, John, but are you ever wearing the BF jersey when you're dropped? Because if so... Wait a minute, I've ridden with you several times - you're always dropping (and then waiting) for me!
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 08:59 AM   #14
bigdraft
Senior Member
 
bigdraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pasadena CA
Bikes: Arnold
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was an original member of Swamis back in 87 and can only say they are a good club and have some very good riders. Like with with most things athletic, when you ride with people who are better then you, your skills and fitness will get much better, faster. You should take your friends advice and join their club, or SDBC, or any race focused club. You'll pick up a lot of information that would take you longer to learn being a non-club rider. Don't worry about the racing part as many club members are never seen at the starting line (not just Swamis).

Also, San Deigo has very very few places that are not hilly. It's one reason there are so many good riders down there. The SDBC club ride on Saturdays is good place to get familiar with pack riding and they provide three different rides for the varing levels of riders who show up.

Anyway keep at it, it only gets better.
bigdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 11:05 AM   #15
efficiency
Does Not Exist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Voltairia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What area were you riding in SDRider?
efficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 01:25 PM   #16
tbrown524
Robbie McEwen Wannabe
 
tbrown524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Bikes: Trek 2200
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSean
Join a club, join on the group rides and youll be rippin in no time. But cat 1 good luck with that guy.
You're right about the group rides. I just started riding with a group and even though I was in the back of the pack.. I rode faster and harder than I've ever have in my life..
tbrown524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 05:17 PM   #17
SDRider
Cat None
Thread Starter
 
SDRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by efficiency
What area were you riding in SDRider?
East of Palomar airport area between there and Business Park.

Like I said, there was no pressure at all from the group I was riding with. Good group of guys, it was just a casual ride to get in some miles. I was just a little unhappy with myself is all. This has in no way put me off group rides. I've done them before and I'll do them again.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 AM.