Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My first DNF due to a mechanical.

    The cable to my RD broke a couple of miles into or ride tonight. I'm lucky it broke when it did and not 15 miles out. I'm off to Performance to pick up some more cables.
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  2. #2
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1955
    The cable to my RD broke a couple of miles into or ride tonight. I'm lucky it broke when it did and not 15 miles out. I'm off to Performance to pick up some more cables.



    Ahhhh single speed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSean
    Ahhhh single speed.
    Yeah, but isn't 36x12 a little high?
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  4. #4
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1955
    Yeah, but isn't 36x12 a little high?
    Well, that depends. But my fixie is 42x15, or is it 46x15?

  5. #5
    Senior Member jerrymcdougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my fixie is 42x12 (yeah 12) Its just what was laying around at the moment. ha.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrymcdougal
    I think my fixie is 42x12 (yeah 12) Its just what was laying around at the moment. ha.
    Maybe I should have finished my sentence off a little differently...Yeah, but isn't 36x12 a little high for me!
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  7. #7
    riding once again jschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
    Posts
    7,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the mechanical, Ralph.
    If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

  8. #8
    ThreadKiller Evoracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Disneyland, Ca
    Posts
    229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're only as high as you feel... Oh wait, nevermind.

  9. #9
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fixed.
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  10. #10
    riding once again jschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
    Posts
    7,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay.
    If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

  11. #11
    - actel188's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    My Bikes
    Mercier DracoAL, Giant Trance, Gary Fisher Sugar3
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to see that you had a mechanical issue today. We ended up having a pretty good recovery ride and I also hit my mark in the sprint to Weir Canyon.

  12. #12
    Despite all my rage, I am rooftest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    2,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weir Canyon? Is this a local ride I didn't know about?

  13. #13
    Senior Member jerrymcdougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1955
    Maybe I should have finished my sentence off a little differently...Yeah, but isn't 36x12 a little high for me!
    Yeah, mine is too high for me too. But it was free. Sorry if my last post came off wrong, I didn't mean anything by it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrymcdougal
    Yeah, mine is too high for me too. But it was free. Sorry if my last post came off wrong, I didn't mean anything by it.
    Are you kidding me, there are some VERY strong riders her in Socal. That most people here are way faster than me, was not a shock at all.

    Anyway, you put the "ha" at the end and I thought you might be kidding.

    Now if this was the road forum, I would automatically assume that you were busting my balls.
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  15. #15
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rooftest
    Weir Canyon? Is this a local ride I didn't know about?
    It's just a ride that some guys at one company started and there can be as many as 10 riders or as little as 1. It's nothing organized beyond an email that goes out to a some people. They passed me on a solo ride about 2 years ago and said "hop on" and they still can get rid of me. We meet on Rampart St. just south of the stadium (Big A) at about 5:00 and either ride up to Green River (sometimes shorter) or down to the beach and back.

    PM me if you're interested. Unfortunately (for me) the ride will change after the summer as their company is moving to Irvine adn the route will change.
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  16. #16
    You know you want to. Eatadonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norman, Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do RD cables break? Was there fraying, or any sort of warning? Seems strange.
    Weather today: Hot. Humid. Potholes.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Tortise45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Laguna Hills, CA.
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez E5 SLX Comp
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1955
    It's just a ride that some guys at one company started and there can be as many as 10 riders or as little as 1. It's nothing organized beyond an email that goes out to a some people. They passed me on a solo ride about 2 years ago and said "hop on" and they still can get rid of me. We meet on Rampart St. just south of the stadium (Big A) at about 5:00 and either ride up to Green River (sometimes shorter) or down to the beach and back.

    PM me if you're interested. Unfortunately (for me) the ride will change after the summer as their company is moving to Irvine adn the route will change.
    Ya see what happens? Ralph grabbed on about 2 years ago, and since we have not been able to shake him loose, we decided it'd be best to just move the whole company to Santa Ana

  18. #18
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortise45
    Ya see what happens? Ralph grabbed on about 2 years ago, and since we have not been able to shake him loose, we decided it'd be best to just move the whole company to Santa Ana
    LOL

    That's where I got ya, I live in Santa Ana!!! You're not getting rid of me that fast.
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  19. #19
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eatadonut
    How do RD cables break? Was there fraying, or any sort of warning? Seems strange.
    There was no warning until just before it broke for good. About a half a mile before it snapped there was kind of a feeling that something had slipped when I shifted, but couldn't put my finger on it, and then it was just shifting funny so I pulled over and looked things over and found nothing. So I rode up to me buddies that were waiting just ahead and we were talking about what it might be, and as we were taking off again it snapped and I was done.

    The cable was frayed inside of the brifter and was kind of a pain to get out, but once I was able to get the broken piece out it was very easy to fix, even though I've never replaced a cable before.
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  20. #20
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    one for everything
    Posts
    7,096
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that has happened to me and a friend on our MTBs, never heard of it happening on a roadie though.

  21. #21
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    that has happened to me and a friend on our MTBs, never heard of it happening on a roadie though.
    Being old and weak, I shift a lot.
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  22. #22
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    one for everything
    Posts
    7,096
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on the MTB, we have sticks and stuff that like to grab our bikes.

    That cable must have been pretty old to break though or someone quick release snagged it enough.

  23. #23
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    on the MTB, we have sticks and stuff that like to grab our bikes.

    That cable must have been pretty old to break though or someone quick release snagged it enough.
    The bike has close to 8K miles on it and I'm not shy with shifting it; I'm kind of like a 125 Moto GP bike...a VERY small powerband. The cable was very frayed and hadn't been snagged in any way, but I can imagine that that would be a common problem with a MTB.
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

  24. #24
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    on the MTB, we have sticks and stuff that like to grab our bikes.

    That cable must have been pretty old to break though or someone quick release snagged it enough.
    Actually, since he mentioned that the cable was frayed in the brifter it could have been snagged on something. I had something similar happen to me on a road bike once. Turns out I hadn't gotten the cable seated properly in the brifter and it was rubbing against the internals.
    "Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)

  25. #25
    Senior Member 1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5
    Posts
    3,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanknight
    Actually, since he mentioned that the cable was frayed in the brifter it could have been snagged on something. I had something similar happen to me on a road bike once. Turns out I hadn't gotten the cable seated properly in the brifter and it was rubbing against the internals.
    Then it's been snagging/rubbing for 8,000 miles.
    Ralph (not Ralphie) on a Roubaix in
    Huntington Beach, CA
    & Iron Horse Maverick 5.5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •