Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Do You Ever Get Sick Of Riding?

    I swear, this week I just can't get myself on the bike! Haven't ridden since last Saturday. Probably will do the shop ride tomorrow. Maybe it's the heat....same ole routes....I got up this morning to ride early and blew it off in favor of a couple of waffles!

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  2. #2
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is blasphemy! So it ain't so ... this from a guy who smokes me up the hill
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  3. #3
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, never.

    Actually, only after a long hard ride i'll sometimes feel like i'm sick of it. I'll look at my bicycle and feel absolutely disgusted.

    Then after i'm rested up (give it a day or two) i'll be itching to get out for a ride again.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bernmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog
    I swear, this week I just can't get myself on the bike! Haven't ridden since last Saturday. Probably will do the shop ride tomorrow. Maybe it's the heat....same ole routes....I got up this morning to ride early and blew it off in favor of a couple of waffles!

    Sheldon
    I never get sick of riding (yet!), but I do find myself tiring of the rides I do--mostly club rides, some of them always on the same route, some different, but combining bits and pieces of rides done before. On the 4th I did a ride down by the shore with another club, and the route was actually pretty dull, but I enjoyed it just because the route was so unfamiliar.

    Nothing prevents me from designing my own rides and doing them myself--I do that sometimes. But I miss the cameraderie of group rides, and the encouragement.
    Last edited by bernmart; 07-06-07 at 09:45 AM.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

  5. #5
    blissfullyIgnorant Ziptie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monrovia
    My Bikes
    Mondonico, Ibis Mojo
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog
    I got up this morning to ride early and blew it off in favor of a couple of waffles!

    Maybe you just really like waffles.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziptie
    Maybe you just really like waffles.
    Yummmm......

    Of course, it didn't help anything that at 6 am, my wife walked into our workout room and started up on the treadmill. Geez......Ok....I'm really gonna try to get a ride in after jury duty today....maybe......

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  7. #7
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,583
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where friends will help your motivation. If you have good friends to ride with, you're always ready to go. Sometimes a change to a mountain bike ride will help, too.

  8. #8
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheldon - you get out on that bike right this minute!

    Seriously, I realized yesterday that I ****ed up and I'm not flying back today but tomorrow! Now, my riding and all my chores and work have to be completed on Sunday. I doubt I'll get more than a 25 mile ride in on Sunday morning. I haven't ridden since the Grand Tour! Yes, I rode my dad's bike all of like 10 miles, but I'm not even adding those miles to Bike Journal.

    If I don't ride soon, I'm going to go crazy. So, to answer your question - NO, I never get sick of riding, and, in fact, the opposite - I get sick if I don't ride!

  9. #9
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Sheldon - you get out on that bike right this minute!

    Seriously, I realized yesterday that I ****ed up and I'm not flying back today but tomorrow! Now, my riding and all my chores and work have to be completed on Sunday. I doubt I'll get more than a 25 mile ride in on Sunday morning. I haven't ridden since the Grand Tour! Yes, I rode my dad's bike all of like 10 miles, but I'm not even adding those miles to Bike Journal.

    If I don't ride soon, I'm going to go crazy. So, to answer your question - NO, I never get sick of riding, and, in fact, the opposite - I get sick if I don't ride!
    30 mile SFVBC ride is waiting for you!!
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  10. #10
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herbm
    30 mile SFVBC ride is waiting for you!!
    You are so sweet, Herb. I really DO want to join on one of those, but I suspect I'll just get up at 5 or 6am and ride straight from my front door over to Griffith Park and back (well, up into the canyons for sure!). I'm going to the gym today and plan to ride my dad's bike later, but my fitness level must be shot at present from all the driving and sitting and eating and sitting and talking and sitting and eating and...

  11. #11
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    You are so sweet, Herb. I really DO want to join on one of those, but I suspect I'll just get up at 5 or 6am and ride straight from my front door over to Griffith Park and back (well, up into the canyons for sure!). I'm going to the gym today and plan to ride my dad's bike later, but my fitness level must be shot at present from all the driving and sitting and eating and sitting and talking and sitting and eating and...
    ok...you keep threatening...sleep in till 6:45 then you can ride to CSUN...
    Scootcore might be riding there as well??
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  12. #12
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herbm
    ok...you keep threatening...sleep in till 6:45 then you can ride to CSUN...
    Scootcore might be riding there as well??
    How long do the rides last?

  13. #13
    cedar street slut ggallin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ojai
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/node/4490
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, never.
    my 63cm trek is in the shop. so i had to ride my girlfriends 52cm peugot to work. worst 4 mile commute ever.

  14. #14
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, I sometimes feel like not riding at all. If I don't ride, I feel guilty.....like as if I missed out on a good workout. Instead, I usually go running so that kind of makes up for the guilt trip.
    I can also put myself into 100% tinker mode.....just fiddling with bikes in the garage for hours on end....

  15. #15
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    may or may not go sunday...i have a kids party in simi to go to...may do the csun ride then just keep going out over santa sussanah though.....and ME, the rides are only a couple of hours, youll be done early.
    Mistakes are just fine. Just don't make excuses....

  16. #16
    Senior Member DanteB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, Host of the 2012 ToC ITT
    My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Posts
    1,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    If I don't ride soon, I'm going to go crazy. So, to answer your question - NO, I never get sick of riding, and, in fact, the opposite - I get sick if I don't ride!
    I seem to remember a curtain young lady who was a little burned out after a double she did and it took quit a few days before she got back on the bike.
    Make mine a double!

  17. #17
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may join on CSUN, but I'm kind of anti social right now. I'm all out of sorts and have a head cold (I had a full blown asthma attack this morning - I was in cigarette smoke for a full day at a relative's house and it made me ill for sure). So, I'll see how I feel on Sunday.

    And, Dante, silly - there is a difference between feeling too tired to get on the bike and being sick of riding. I'm never sick of it!

  18. #18
    Senior Member DanteB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, Host of the 2012 ToC ITT
    My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Posts
    1,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    I had a full blown asthma attack this morning - I was in cigarette smoke for a full day at a relative's house and it made me ill for sure). So, I'll see how I feel on Sunday.

    And, Dante, silly - there is a difference between feeling too tired to get on the bike and being sick of riding. I'm never sick of it!
    All kidding aside, is everything OK with your asthma? Did you have the proper meds? Did you have the proper delivery system? If you need any help you can call me, my wife is with me and she can help you through any problems.
    Make mine a double!

  19. #19
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteB
    All kidding aside, is everything OK with your asthma? Did you have the proper meds? Did you have the proper delivery system? If you need any help you can call me, my wife is with me and she can help you through any problems.
    Thanks, Dante. Actually, the airconditioning and cholrine was what set it off and then being around cigarettes (which I'm deathly allergic to) pushed me over the edge. I started wheezing and coughing like crazy this morning. My mom was worried, but I had my inhaler and Foradil. Now, I'm all stuffed up and my chest hurts, but I'm sure once I get back where it is dry, I should be okay.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the same sometimes but to me it's like any other time...I just "ride through it".

    Most of the time it's because I'm tired, I mostly work 6 Days a week, quite often I spend the first 8-9 miles simply spinning, trying to get going, but eventually everything warms up, the Legs stop creaking, the blood starts flowing and I have a blast...

    I have no real excuses, I don't have to sit there thinking "ugh, I have to put the Bike in the Car, drive somewhere..ride, drive home..." because I live 3 mins ride from the Backbay trail...plus I have an awesome light so I can go for a ride 24 hours a Day...

    But yeah, if I don't feel like going I know I have to ride through the doldrums....

    I find also that if you arrange to meet someone at a certain time whether it's a group or just one person, then you HAVE to BE there...this also helps...

    On the other Paw, I start to feel mentaly and physicaly down if I don't ride for 2-3 days....

  21. #21
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar27
    On the other Paw, I start to feel mentaly and physicaly down if I don't ride for 2-3 days....
    +1,000,000. I'm a depressed lump of lard right now because not only haven't I ridden, but I haven't exercised. I'm going to go to the gym this afternoon, but nothing like a long ride to work all things bad out of your system!

  22. #22
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even junk miles would help at this point....

  23. #23
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP is a heretic ..
    ... BURN HIM!!!!!

  24. #24
    Senior Member DanteB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, Host of the 2012 ToC ITT
    My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Posts
    1,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Thanks, Dante. Actually, the airconditioning and cholrine was what set it off and then being around cigarettes (which I'm deathly allergic to) pushed me over the edge. I started wheezing and coughing like crazy this morning. My mom was worried, but I had my inhaler and Foradil. Now, I'm all stuffed up and my chest hurts, but I'm sure once I get back where it is dry, I should be okay.
    Ok, but if you need any help just call. Hope you get to feeling better soon! Dial-up is so slow , anyway Iím logging off now, Iíve got some things to do.
    Make mine a double!

  25. #25
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix
    Even junk miles would help at this point....
    Yeah...NO kidding. I'd be happy to ride around the Rose Bowl for 100 laps if I had my hands on Patsy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •