Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 145
  1. #1
    This town needs an enema.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone 400
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hispanic Handlebars

    I see a lot of hispanics on really cool old school road bikes all over So. Cal. One thing puzzles me though and I have to ask. What is with flipping the drop bars 90 degrees?
    ^this may or may not be useful information <--this not so much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member axelfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More comfortable ride.

  3. #3
    Spit out the back tinrobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Silverlake, CA
    Posts
    1,028
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cradduck View Post
    One thing puzzles me though and I have to ask. What is with flipping the drop bars 90 degrees?
    If you flip them 90 degrees, they're no longer drop bars.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sci-Fi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flipping up the drop bars been done since the 60's. Some people just like a more upright riding position without giving up the speed of a road bike. Plus they get the leverage to jump curbs and whatnot...makes it easier to talk to the chicks too and keep your balance at ultra slow speeds...lol...without having to buy or make new handlebars.

    Seen some nice custom or rebent dropbars with the drop bends flared out 30 to 45 for a natural handshake grip instead of the usual straight up and down dropbars. For some traditionalists, they may not like the "flared out" look, but the riders say it's more comfy over long distances if you are in the drops a lot. It doesn't seem to be that much wider when you get up close and look at it.

  5. #5
    cedar street slut ggallin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ojai
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/node/4490
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats racist.

  6. #6
    Does Not Exist
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Voltairia
    Posts
    2,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot shame or police cradduck. He is what he is.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ludeboy_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Gabriel Valley, California
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Letour 1989, Shogun 300 198?
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nothing jumps like the "sledge hammer".

    As for turning the drops 90 degrees, wasn't that done in QuickSilver too?

    It's early and I have movies on the mind.

  8. #8
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so they can hang shopping bags off them. Also, so that when they're bringing their hombres borrachos back from la discoteque o el garaje del otros amigos borrachos, they can sit on the bars and wedge their ass in between los drops.

    Unity in cyclism. I just hold up the mirror, babe.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  10. #10
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I have 14 bikes and two of my handlebars are French, two are Italian, one is English and all the rest are Asian...
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

  11. #11
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,236
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to Home Depot ok...I'm not racist

  12. #12
    . Luwin1026's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    I've been to Home Depot ok...I'm not racist

    I think the bikes are already set up like that when they stole them.

    I'm not racist. I hate everyone.

    On a semi-more serious note, the Home Depot in Temple City/Rosemead off of Lower Azusa has got a good system going on. You know how there is usually a large congregant of Hispanic workers looking for construction work at Home Depot? Well, at this one, they roped off a section of the parking lot, have the EZ-UPs going on with picnic tables underneath, a statue of some holy figure (Virgin Mary?) up for blessing/prayer/etc., a grill to fire up the carne asada, I presume, and porta potties. Figured that if they were going to be there, might as well make it more presentable and offer them a few comfort/necessity items, presumably also to preserve good relations with the store's neighbors.

    Ok, back on topic - I've seen them quite often in this part of town as well -perhaps they set them up because they use the bikes primarily for transportation to and from work/errands/etc., and as that is the primary mode of transportation, comfort/ease of use is of priority over aerodynamics.

  13. #13
    2 Wheel Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luwin1026 View Post
    On a semi-more serious note, the Home Depot in Temple City/Rosemead off of Lower Azusa has got a good system going on. You know how there is usually a large congregant of Hispanic workers looking for construction work at Home Depot? Well, at this one, they roped off a section of the parking lot, have the EZ-UPs going on with picnic tables underneath, a statue of some holy figure (Virgin Mary?) up for blessing/prayer/etc., a grill to fire up the carne asada, I presume, and porta potties.
    Woah, that's pretty fancy.

  14. #14
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dammit! Why didn't anyone tell me all the Hispanics are doing it? I better turn my bars before my homies diss me!

  15. #15
    pmc
    pmc is offline
    Senior Member pmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Torrance
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know I was Hispanic. Wait till my parents find out.

    It was for comfort. Back in the 70's, I used to have mine turned up but then I only rode it to the beach and back. Before beach crusiers and mountian bikes. WOW am I that old?
    GO KINGS GO

  16. #16
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmc View Post
    I didn't know I was Hispanic. Wait till my parents find out.

    It was for comfort. Back in the 70's, I used to have mine turned up but then I only rode it to the beach and back. Before beach crusiers and mountian bikes. WOW am I that old?

    How was your birthday Felipe?

  17. #17
    This town needs an enema.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone 400
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask a question that has to do with a culturally unique (at least in my area) adaptation to a road bike and you're a racist...are you missing a couple chromosomes or something?
    ^this may or may not be useful information <--this not so much.

  18. #18
    pmc
    pmc is offline
    Senior Member pmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Torrance
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Beanz,

    It was great. The family was over on Sunday. My excuse for missing the GRM ride.They wouldn't have been happy if I missed it or was late for the party. You know how non-riding family members can be.

    The actual day was Monday. I ride a mile per year on my birthday. So, after finishing the ride and looking at my odometer I guess I'm only 36 this year, damn I look old for 36. Every mile seemed to be a struggle. Too many beers the night before I guess. I would have been better off laying on the beach.
    GO KINGS GO

  19. #19
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmc View Post
    Hey Beanz,

    It was great. The family was over on Sunday. My excuse for missing the GRM ride.They wouldn't have been happy if I missed it or was late for the party. You know how non-riding family members can be.

    The actual day was Monday. I ride a mile per year on my birthday. So, after finishing the ride and looking at my odometer I guess I'm only 36 this year, damn I look old for 36. Every mile seemed to be a struggle. Too many beers the night before I guess. I would have been better off laying on the beach.

    Hahahahaha! You just gave me the bright idea to make my self 25 again next year!

  20. #20
    pmc
    pmc is offline
    Senior Member pmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Torrance
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works both ways you know. Last year i went over and was 52. maybe that is why I didn't get as much riding in as the year before.
    GO KINGS GO

  21. #21
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmc View Post
    It works both ways you know. Last year i went over and was 52. maybe that is why I didn't get as much riding in as the year before.

  22. #22
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cradduck View Post
    I see a lot of hispanics on really cool old school road bikes all over So. Cal. One thing puzzles me though and I have to ask. What is with flipping the drop bars 90 degrees?
    A true puzzlement!

    Though not as puzzling to me as the chubby gabachos on the zillion-peso ultra-light road bikes I see huffing up PCH near Malibu. What is with the gordos and their 20-pound gunts, rolling the light bikes?

    Loco.

  23. #23
    It's ALL base... DScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't "gabachos" a perjorative term for white guys? Do you really want to go there?

  24. #24
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest that some of the earlier responses in this thread could be read as pejorative toward "Hispanics" (a term which in itself is viewed by some as being pejorative -- e.g., people with no Spanish bloodlines who are lumped under that category).

    Yes, I'll go there.

    ...off to Del Taco.
    Last edited by Allez Oops; 08-28-07 at 11:11 PM.

  25. #25
    Does Not Exist
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Voltairia
    Posts
    2,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Oops View Post
    But at least I had the discretion to edit out the part about "Lyrca-clad jotos," since I was the one ragging on people bagging on gays elsewhere.
    Except that, from what I remember, nobody was bagging on gays.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •