Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-07, 06:27 PM   #1
vertical bob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Valley Glen Ca.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red Box Saturday 9/1

I'm planning to ride from Red Box again this Saturday, starting at 7am. My plan is to descend A.C.to Clearcreek to Angeles Forest Hwy, on to upper Big Tujunga,back over to Angeles Crest, then on to Newcombs and Dawson Saddle. I did this a couple of weeks ago and an early start helps to get back up to altitude before it gets hot lower. The low point on the ride is about 3000ft. and the high is 7910. It climbs about 9k in 80 miles but there are many places to turn around once the loop to Big T brings you back to A.C. at mile 25. If you haven't been on Upper Big T it's about the nicest road in the San Gabriels but challenging. This is a 3 bottle ride for me as the only water, and beer, is at Newcombs. Those wanting to start at the bottom could ride up to Clearcreek and make the left on Angeles Forest, getting water at Clearcreek. That's the route of the A.C. 100. Or, just start at RB and go where ever you want when ever you want. An Adventure Pass is required to park anywhere in the Forest and can be purchased for $5 at the Shell Station on Foothill or I think Big Five stores sell them.http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/vendors.php here's a link to buy a pass.

Last edited by vertical bob; 08-30-07 at 05:34 PM.
vertical bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 06:33 PM   #2
merider1
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It will be a gorgeous ride, Bob. Enjoy! I can't make it on 9/1 as I have the cable guy coming to install internet/cable service that morning. I hope you get a big group up there.
merider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 06:33 PM   #3
jpconrad
Racerboy Douchebaggery
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be around somewhere, I'll probably start at the bottom, though.
jpconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 09:55 AM   #4
kehrhart
Member
 
kehrhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: La Canada, CA
Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.5 SL
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconrad View Post
I'll be around somewhere, I'll probably start at the bottom, though.
What time do you think you'd leave from the bottom?
kehrhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 10:16 AM   #5
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Posts: 5,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
This ride sounds good, but I have absolutely no knowlege of the area, hence I have a lot of (probably stupid) questions.

1. Where is Red Box? Is it a city/town, a building or . . . just a box?

2. What is the actual address of Red Box so I can do a Mapquest from my house to Red Box?

3. Is there a route sheet in case I get dropped (quite likely), so I won't be totally lost?

4. If so, please advise link!

5. Since I don't have any knowledge of the area, should I just pass on this ride and do GMR/GRR and other areas I know? In other words, would I be better off to wait for the Angeles Crest Century or some other organized ride in the area rather than starting out with this BF ride that seems to have so many options?

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 10:38 AM   #6
VanceMac
Senior Member
 
VanceMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Socal
Bikes:
Posts: 4,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Rick, don't fear the AC! It is almost impossible to get lost up there (there's just one main road). And you'll be with VB's crew, which means you will be well looked after.

Red Box is indeed a red box, but there is also a large parking lot and a small station there. It is where Mt Wilson Rd branches off AC (route 2). Zoom in/out from here.


Don't worry about the options. Just start with Bob.
VanceMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 11:33 AM   #7
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Posts: 5,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Thanks Vance,

So do I need an Adventure Pass to park there, or was that for one of the other options?

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 11:44 AM   #8
jpconrad
Racerboy Douchebaggery
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehrhart View Post
What time do you think you'd leave from the bottom?
I think 6 would be a good time...
jpconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 11:52 AM   #9
kehrhart
Member
 
kehrhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: La Canada, CA
Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.5 SL
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Thanks Vance,

So do I need an Adventure Pass to park there, or was that for one of the other options?

Rick / OCRR
Yes - you need an Adventure Pass to park up there. You can get a day pass for $5 or so from the Shell station at the bottom of Angeles Crest or you can get an annual pass for $30 (I think the annual pass is good for all national forests and parks).
kehrhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 11:53 AM   #10
WhiteCarbonDude
aka. vertical jon
 
WhiteCarbonDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaheim, Home of the Los Angeles? Angels of Anaheim... in Orange County?
Bikes: White Carbon Token, Cannondale Mtn, 1975 Peugeot UO-8 Golden Fixed Conversion
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
So do I need an Adventure Pass to park there, or was that for one of the other options?
Rick / OCRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertical bob View Post
An Adventure Pass is required to park anywhere in the Forest and can be purchased for $5 at the Shell Station on Foothill or I think Big Five stores sell them.http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/vendors.php here's a link to buy a pass.

WhiteCarbonDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 05:32 PM   #11
vertical bob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Valley Glen Ca.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
This ride sounds good, but I have absolutely no knowlege of the area, hence I have a lot of (probably stupid) questions.

1. Where is Red Box? Is it a city/town, a building or . . . just a box?

2. What is the actual address of Red Box so I can do a Mapquest from my house to Red Box?

3. Is there a route sheet in case I get dropped (quite likely), so I won't be totally lost?

4. If so, please advise link!

5. Since I don't have any knowledge of the area, should I just pass on this ride and do GMR/GRR and other areas I know? In other words, would I be better off to wait for the Angeles Crest Century or some other organized ride in the area rather than starting out with this BF ride that seems to have so many options?

Rick / OCRR
Hi Rick, I saw you on Sunday at Baldy Village, you are in no danger of being dropped by me. We always re-group at turns and the top of the climbs. Red Box is 14 miles and about 30 minutes by car from the 210 and Angeles Crest. You could mapquest Foothill and sr2 in La Canada maybe, to get to the botom of A.C. No route sheet but I did put the turns in the original thread ,there aren't many ,and easy to see. Come with us , I'll show you around a little.
vertical bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 06:18 PM   #12
WhiteCarbonDude
aka. vertical jon
 
WhiteCarbonDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaheim, Home of the Los Angeles? Angels of Anaheim... in Orange County?
Bikes: White Carbon Token, Cannondale Mtn, 1975 Peugeot UO-8 Golden Fixed Conversion
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconrad View Post
I think 6 would be a good time...
6am sounds good, I like to start at Glenola Park and the base about a mile north from Foothill Blvd. I'm trying to recruit some more riders from my club.
WhiteCarbonDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 07:48 PM   #13
kehrhart
Member
 
kehrhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: La Canada, CA
Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.5 SL
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertical bob View Post
I did this a couple of weeks ago and an early start helps to get back up to altitude before it gets hot lower.
Bob- just curious what time you returned to RB last time you did this ride? Thanks
kehrhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 07:49 PM   #14
vertical bob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Valley Glen Ca.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCarbonDude View Post
6am sounds good, I like to start at Glenola Park and the base about a mile north from Foothill Blvd. I'm trying to recruit some more riders from my club.
Are you guys turning on Angeles Forest at Clearcreek? If you do you will be way ahead of us coming down from Red Box. eta 7:20 You could wait at Clearcreek and for sure you need to stop there for water.
vertical bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 08:15 PM   #15
jpconrad
Racerboy Douchebaggery
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been a while since I've gone up AC, Bob, how long do you think it'll take us to get to Clearcreek from Glenola Park?
jpconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 08:39 PM   #16
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel
 
spingineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Bikes: Seven
Posts: 7,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always fear Angeles Crest ... I think subconsciously, my mind says not in SoCal this weekend ... coincidentally at the same time there is an AC ride.
__________________
I'm in it to finish it.

My Cycling Blog
spingineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 08:53 PM   #17
VanceMac
Senior Member
 
VanceMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Socal
Bikes:
Posts: 4,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconrad View Post
It's been a while since I've gone up AC, Bob, how long do you think it'll take us to get to Clearcreek from Glenola Park?
It will only take you about 50 minutes, I'd guess, even at warm-up pace.
VanceMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 09:04 PM   #18
jpconrad
Racerboy Douchebaggery
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm, maybe we should leave at 6:15 instead?
jpconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 09:39 PM   #19
WhiteCarbonDude
aka. vertical jon
 
WhiteCarbonDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaheim, Home of the Los Angeles? Angels of Anaheim... in Orange County?
Bikes: White Carbon Token, Cannondale Mtn, 1975 Peugeot UO-8 Golden Fixed Conversion
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceMac View Post
It will only take you about 50 minutes, I'd guess, even at warm-up pace.
Wow Vance you were close, last time we did it, it took us 48 min. On the way back from Red Box it took 17 minutes to get to Clearcreek.
WhiteCarbonDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 10:05 PM   #20
vertical bob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Valley Glen Ca.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehrhart View Post
Bob- just curious what time you returned to RB last time you did this ride? Thanks
I'm not sure, maybe 3pm. We always stop at Newcombs Ranch restaraunt out and back. Sometimes we eat lunch on the way back sometimes just drinks and fries.
vertical bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 08:54 AM   #21
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Posts: 5,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertical bob View Post
Hi Rick, I saw you on Sunday at Baldy Village, you are in no danger of being dropped by me. We always re-group at turns and the top of the climbs. Red Box is 14 miles and about 30 minutes by car from the 210 and Angeles Crest. You could mapquest Foothill and sr2 in La Canada maybe, to get to the botom of A.C. No route sheet but I did put the turns in the original thread ,there aren't many ,and easy to see. Come with us , I'll show you around a little.
Thanks Bob,

I'm going to try to make it! Has the start time been revised to 6:00 AM or was that a revised time for a different starting point?

I have been advised that "Red Box" is not an actual box, but is really a parking lot named after Red Box Canyon which it is in, or is nearby. Also, I will try to find the Shell station to buy my Adventure Pass!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 09:05 AM   #22
VanceMac
Senior Member
 
VanceMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Socal
Bikes:
Posts: 4,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Rick, 6am is for Jon and John starting at the bottom. You are still starting at 7 with Bob at Red Box. And, I assure you, there IS a red box. But you can't miss the parking lots on either side of the intersection of Mt Wilson/Red Box Road. Here is the google maps satellite image: click here.

You can even, just barely, see the red box -- it is just to the right of the word "wilson".

The Shell station is also very hard to miss. On Angeles Crest Hwy (rte 2) just north of where it starts at Foothill Blvd. At the corner of Craig Avenue. Click here.
VanceMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 09:06 AM   #23
jpconrad
Racerboy Douchebaggery
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Thanks Bob,

I'm going to try to make it! Has the start time been revised to 6:00 AM or was that a revised time for a different starting point?

I have been advised that "Red Box" is not an actual box, but is really a parking lot named after Red Box Canyon which it is in, or is nearby. Also, I will try to find the Shell station to buy my Adventure Pass!

Rick / OCRR
No change as far as I know, Rick, the 6 am start time is for the ones starting at the bottom.
jpconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 09:55 AM   #24
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Posts: 5,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceMac View Post
The Shell station is also very hard to miss. On Angeles Crest Hwy (rte 2) just north of where it starts at Foothill Blvd. At the corner of Craig Avenue. Click here.
Hi Vance,

Thanks for the info. When I look at the map, it looks like I'll go South (from the 210 West) to get to the Shell station, then go back North over the 210 for the 20 min. drive to Red Box. Is that correct or am I looking at the map wrong?

Also, Mapquest is telling me 38 min. from my place in Whittier to the 210 / 2 junction, so if I add 20 min. that puts it at a very do-able +/- one hour drive. Which, really . . . is only 15 min. more than my house to GMR. Of course, I will add another 15 min. to purchase the Adventure Pass.

Sorry for all the new-bee (to A/C) questions and thanks for all the good answers from everyone!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 10:00 AM   #25
jpconrad
Racerboy Douchebaggery
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Hi Vance,

Thanks for the info. When I look at the map, it looks like I'll go South (from the 210 West) to get to the Shell station, then go back North over the 210 for the 20 min. drive to Red Box. Is that correct or am I looking at the map wrong?

Also, Mapquest is telling me 38 min. from my place in Whittier to the 210 / 2 junction, so if I add 20 min. that puts it at a very do-able +/- one hour drive. Which, really . . . is only 15 min. more than my house to GMR. Of course, I will add another 15 min. to purchase the Adventure Pass.

Sorry for all the new-bee (to A/C) questions and thanks for all the good answers from everyone!

Rick / OCRR
You're correct on your driving directions and I think your times are reasonable.
jpconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 PM.