Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Air quality Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties

    There is a lot of chatter about the air quality in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. I have stopped smelling the smoke 36 hours ago but some may be more sensitive than I. Also, Danno's report that Santa Maria was smoky somewhat surprised me and leads me to believe that parts of Ventura and Santa Barbara counties may have pockets of smoke. If planning rides in this area, the following links may be helpful. Anybody living in Santa Barbara county, your comments are quite appreciated. Especially if you live on the top of Gibraltar

    Anybody know the air quality north of Ojai on Highway 33?


    Santa Barbara
    http://dasdata1.sbcapcd.org/StationSummary.aspx
    Particulate matter is available at some of their stations and updated hourly. PM2.5 > 40 or PM10 > 150 are considered unhealthy for sensitive people.

    Ventura
    http://www.vcapcd.org/index.htm
    http://www.vcapcd.org/Forecast.aspx
    Only some of the stations report the (combined) particulate matter and anything over 100 is considered unhealthy for sensitive people.
    Last edited by thomson; 10-26-07 at 09:23 AM.

  2. #2
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim....
    Looking good along the Ventura coast....
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  3. #3
    Gravity Is Yer Friend dirtbikedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    "Over the Hill" and going down fast in the 805.
    My Bikes
    Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4
    Posts
    2,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good site that I use to check air quality is this one

    AirNow.gov

    Looks like the quality is getting better so I just might get to check out a new route (to me at least).

    DBD

  4. #4
    Live To Ride Another Day! MarkAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I and another are going to ride Oxnard to Summerland or SB planning on using the Casitas Pass Road 150 to 192 and so forth. Glad to have anyone along if you want to join in. I ride at my own pace (not to fast-not to slow)and I am totally self-supported. I plan to stop for some lunch in Summerland or SB. I am looking at 60-75 miles with about 4,000 feet of climbing. (And I am just guessing here, could be more could be less.) Take off about 8:30-9am.
    Last edited by MarkAJ; 10-26-07 at 11:44 AM.
    I'm pushing it "High and Wide".
    -Mark

  5. #5
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
    Looks like I and another are going to ride Oxnard to Summerland or SB planning on using the Casitas Pass Road 150 to 192 and so forth. Glad to have anyone along if you want to join in. I ride at my own pace (not to fast-not to slow)and I am totally self-supported. I plan to stop for some lunch in Summerland or SB. I am looking at 60-75 miles with about 4,000 feet of climbing. (And I am just guessing here, could be more could be less.) Take off about 8:30-9am.
    I believe we are rolling from here
    Mission Parking Lot at 100 E.Main Street, Ventura
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  6. #6
    Gr8 day 4 hill repeats JustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    here > X
    Posts
    977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "another" I presume you're referring to Herb. Where do you plan on leaving from Mark?
    "Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work." - Samuel L. Clemens 1908 letter

  7. #7
    i got nothing. Crash716's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali Forn NI A (SoCal)
    My Bikes
    13 BH G6 with SRAM Red
    Posts
    5,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    there is some good info in there...my gosh i am over the trainer.
    14 days...

  8. #8
    Live To Ride Another Day! MarkAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Herb is gong to drive so take off will be the Mission Parking Lot. If you live on the way maybe we can pick you up, if you are so inclined.
    I'm pushing it "High and Wide".
    -Mark

  9. #9
    Gr8 day 4 hill repeats JustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    here > X
    Posts
    977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the invite Mark, but I'm far enough out of your way it would'nt be very convenient for you guys. I'll meet you out there though if I can figure out how to get to the start location from the northern route thru Santa Paula. I have room for another as well, so if anyone wants to car pool it, give a shout.
    "Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work." - Samuel L. Clemens 1908 letter

  10. #10
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks for the invite Mark, but I'm far enough out of your way it would'nt be very convenient for you guys. I'll meet you out there though if I can figure out how to get to the start location from the northern route thru Santa Paula. I have room for another as well, so if anyone wants to car pool it, give a shout.
    We usually go 126...but not so sure how things are up there...so might go 101
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  11. #11
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,900
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herbm View Post
    I believe we are rolling from here
    Mission Parking Lot at 100 E.Main Street, Ventura
    Herb, some SFVBC riders are leaving there at 8:15. Not sure if I am going, or not.

  12. #12
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,900
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks for the invite Mark, but I'm far enough out of your way it would'nt be very convenient for you guys. I'll meet you out there though if I can figure out how to get to the start location from the northern route thru Santa Paula. I have room for another as well, so if anyone wants to car pool it, give a shout.
    Gene, if you take the 126, just merge with the 101 and exit California Street, right to Main, then left.

  13. #13
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
    Yes, Herb is gong to drive so take off will be the Mission Parking Lot. If you live on the way maybe we can pick you up, if you are so inclined.

    Guys are 36, 42 and need to ride with smilin Bob? That's not good at all!

  14. #14
    Climbing better scvroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll keep my eyes open for everyone. Irene, Jane and myself are starting from Santa Paula at 8:00, climbing 150 to Ojai and over Casitas, then on to Summerland Cafe and probably back the same way, depending on weather & air quality. I think total mileage and elevation both ways is about 90 miles and 7,000+ ft of climbing. Join in if you want to, we park behind the Carls Jr. in Santa Paula.

  15. #15
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,423
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lee,

    Please advise an address I can Mapquest! Maria and I are thinking about driving out for this ride, but I need to know exactly where we'd be starting. An address / road / city and zip if possible.

    Plus . . . thanks for your help at checkpoints #2 and #5 on the Fall Solvang Double!

    Rick / OCRR

  16. #16
    Live To Ride Another Day! MarkAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Guys are 36, 42 and need to ride with smilin Bob? That's not good at all!
    Hay! Arenít you supposed to be working? Donít you have a day job now?
    BTW: I was 42 some 14 years ago. And you donít want to hear about that time period because that was when every thing started going down hill, i.e. I had to start wearing glasses, things hurt when I woke up in the mornings and BMís moved up to second priority.
    I'm pushing it "High and Wide".
    -Mark

  17. #17
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
    Hay! Aren’t you supposed to be working?




    Off till Monday! ...........We're taking the parents out for lobster tomorrow night. So depending on how much I eat, I just may end up riding with Smiling Bob on Sunday!

  18. #18
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scvroadie View Post
    I'll keep my eyes open for everyone. Irene, Jane and myself are starting from Santa Paula at 8:00, climbing 150 to Ojai and over Casitas, then on to Summerland Cafe and probably back the same way, depending on weather & air quality. I think total mileage and elevation both ways is about 90 miles and 7,000+ ft of climbing. Join in if you want to, we park behind the Carls Jr. in Santa Paula.
    Look for me...Mark and I are starting in Ventura then up Casitas...down to summerland...maybe to SB then back..wave as you pass!!
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  19. #19
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Herb, some SFVBC riders are leaving there at 8:15. Not sure if I am going, or not.
    Oh I thinks thats the group Vance was telling me about...they are probably too fast for me....
    But if you are looking for an easy pace (for you) you are most welcome to join us...
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  20. #20
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Off till Monday! ...........We're taking the parents out for lobster tomorrow night. So depending on how much I eat, I just may end up riding with Smiling Bob on Sunday!


    Oh wait...Mr B's buying lobster...I may have to postpone my ride to chow with him!!!
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  21. #21
    Climbing better scvroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Hi Lee,

    Please advise an address I can Mapquest! Maria and I are thinking about driving out for this ride, but I need to know exactly where we'd be starting. An address / road / city and zip if possible.

    Plus . . . thanks for your help at checkpoints #2 and #5 on the Fall Solvang Double!

    Rick / OCRR
    Rick,

    The address is 230 E Harvard Blvd, Santa Paula. Take the Palm Ave. exit off of 126, then just turn in the first driveway north of the freeway.

  22. #22
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herbm View Post
    Oh wait...Mr B's buying lobster...I may have to postpone my ride to chow with him!!!
    Come on down Herbie! But I guarantee you will feel like heck on Sunday's ride!

  23. #23
    Gr8 day 4 hill repeats JustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    here > X
    Posts
    977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Gene, if you take the 126, just merge with the 101 and exit California Street, right to Main, then left.
    Thank you John.
    "Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work." - Samuel L. Clemens 1908 letter

  24. #24
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,423
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scvroadie View Post
    Rick,

    The address is 230 E Harvard Blvd, Santa Paula. Take the Palm Ave. exit off of 126, then just turn in the first driveway north of the freeway.
    Thanks Lee!

    I will run a Mapquest on it, then consult with Maria!

    Rick / OCRR

  25. #25
    Gr8 day 4 hill repeats JustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    here > X
    Posts
    977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
    . . . . BTW: I was 42 some 14 years ago. And you donít want to hear about that time period because that was when every thing started going down hill, . . . .
    Mark, haven't your heard. . . . . . . . 60 is the new 40. Your not there yet.
    "Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work." - Samuel L. Clemens 1908 letter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •