Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Waiting on new bars

    In my continuing quest for comfort, and getting rid of numb fingers, I've ordered an FSA wing bar for my Giant....alloy version not the carbon. My recent fitting didn't quite help out with this issue however I heard good experiences from a fellow rider yesterday during a shop ride. So, I hope to be trying these out at the end of the week.

    First upgrade on the OCR.....these have got to be better than the OEM bars!

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  2. #2
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to check, have you tried going back to all basic stuff (no gel gloves, no fat bar tape, no oversized bars, etc.)? I had trouble with pressure and numbness on my hands when I recently got back into riding. After trying Campy and Shimano brifters, gel gloves, padded tape, and multiple hand positions, going back to a basic glove with a standard bar (3TTT Forgie fwiw) solved the problem.
    "Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
    Just to check, have you tried going back to all basic stuff (no gel gloves, no fat bar tape, no oversized bars, etc.)? I had trouble with pressure and numbness on my hands when I recently got back into riding. After trying Campy and Shimano brifters, gel gloves, padded tape, and multiple hand positions, going back to a basic glove with a standard bar (3TTT Forgie fwiw) solved the problem.
    Did all that and a fitting at Sundance as well. Not much luck.

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  4. #4
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    C'daleSupersix, 87' schwinn circuit, Trek Rumblefish 29er, Spesh Rockhopper SS 29er
    Posts
    6,673
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the new bike I got came with the FSA wing bars, alloy version. I was a lil iffy when I saw them on the bike, but DAMN they are comfy when riding on the tops up hills. I'm sure you'll like them as well
    ...mad as a box of frogs

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    the new bike I got came with the FSA wing bars, alloy version. I was a lil iffy when I saw them on the bike, but DAMN they are comfy when riding on the tops up hills. I'm sure you'll like them as well
    Love to hear that! I worked so darn hard trying to decide between carbon and alloy...reading all these threads. Went with the alloy because the price is so much less plus I was concerned about what happens when you even so much as fall over with a carbon bar (like at a stoplight!).

    So when I got to the LBS today to order them, what do you know, the staff is looking over a set of carbon bars that got mashed into a garage door. So glad I went with the alloy.

    Anyhow, thanks for the vote of confidence...makes me feel better about the purchase!

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  6. #6
    1 Serving Per Container awiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    My Bikes
    2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like flat top ergo bars. I have had an Easton EC-70 and now a Deda Electra flat top bar.

    I feel that the flat tops are far more comfortable however I am not sure if it will solve your problem with numbness or not. Time will tell.

    Alloy vs Carbon .... Some people say carbon bars soak up more road vibration (as with carbon frames, forks, etc.) therefore giving a more comfortable ride. Personally I have found carbon bars to be stiffer due to the lay up. Does this negate the road vibration claim? Who knows... My Easton EC-70 bars met a truck at a combined 30 Mph speed and broke cleanly at a lug joint. I was actually really surprised at how well they did though. The bars took the brunt of the hit and probably saved more of the left side of my body.

    I would suggest having the flat tops wrapped over with bar tape. Some people leave them unwrapped however I have found it to be uncomfortable and even slippery that way. You can always shorten the bar tape if you wish later on.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have the bars fully wrapped, as you suggested. Whether it helps with the hands, who knows. Of course, with the new bars, my position on the bike changes so the fitting I just did is compromised! So, I'll have the shop check me over after everything is put together.

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  8. #8
    1 Serving Per Container awiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    My Bikes
    2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have them measure your current settings before they take the old bar off. Then they can install the new bar and restore those settings....

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awiner View Post
    Have them measure your current settings before they take the old bar off. Then they can install the new bar and restore those settings....
    Makes sense....thanks!

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  10. #10
    1 Serving Per Container awiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    My Bikes
    2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need any help let me know... I have pretty much a full shop set up in my garage...

  11. #11
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    C'daleSupersix, 87' schwinn circuit, Trek Rumblefish 29er, Spesh Rockhopper SS 29er
    Posts
    6,673
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
    Love to hear that! I worked so darn hard trying to decide between carbon and alloy...reading all these threads. Went with the alloy because the price is so much less plus I was concerned about what happens when you even so much as fall over with a carbon bar (like at a stoplight!).

    So when I got to the LBS today to order them, what do you know, the staff is looking over a set of carbon bars that got mashed into a garage door. So glad I went with the alloy.

    Anyhow, thanks for the vote of confidence...makes me feel better about the purchase!

    Sheldon
    yah the carbon ones goes for about the price of some decent 1500gm wheelset that could effect comfort in the same way. Plus having heard SirLance breaking his CF bars on the DH of Baldy, the LAST thing I want to break going at 40+mph is the handlebars. Unless it's a full racebike or something along those lines, some things CF just doesn't make sence and the weight dif is only 50grams or so.
    ...mad as a box of frogs

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding the FSA wings for a couple of years (carbon) and really like them, however, it did take a while to get the flat oriented right at first (they came with the bike)....

    Also, at first I had the LBS leave the flat unwrapped but changed my mind, it's now mostly wrapped fwiw.

    I've often thought about the fact that my bike has Carbon forks, carbon bars...even the steerer and drop-outs are carbon, but 4K miles later everything seems to be intact...

  13. #13
    Euro-Trash Enzo Gucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much are you riding? For me, numbness in my hands was a conditioning issue. It went away with time.
    MySpace
    Don't act like you don't have one.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo Gucci View Post
    How much are you riding? For me, numbness in my hands was a conditioning issue. It went away with time.
    It's really been an on and off issue where I might go several rides without any problems at all and really only showed up in the past few months; hence the fitting. I'm averaging 3000 miles a year so plenty of time on the bike.

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  15. #15
    Euro-Trash Enzo Gucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
    It's really been an on and off issue where I might go several rides without any problems at all and really only showed up in the past few months; hence the fitting. I'm averaging 3000 miles a year so plenty of time on the bike.

    Sheldon
    Almost everyone I know has dealt with it at one time or another. I'm currently riding 600 miles a month, and starting in November I'll be up in the neighborhood of 1,000 miles a month, with December being close to 1,500 miles... Before October, I had a few 25 hour weeks and I had no problems. When I first started riding, my hands would go numb all the time, but that isn't the issue. I did 200 miles this last Saturday (and distance isn't really my bag, either) and by the end had slight numbness in my right wrist, but nothing major.

    So get fitted and try new bars, BUT, don't get discouraged. You may find that the problem disappears as suddenly as it came.
    MySpace
    Don't act like you don't have one.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar27 View Post
    I've been riding the FSA wings for a couple of years (carbon) and really like them, however, it did take a while to get the flat oriented right at first (they came with the bike)....

    Also, at first I had the LBS leave the flat unwrapped but changed my mind, it's now mostly wrapped fwiw.

    I've often thought about the fact that my bike has Carbon forks, carbon bars...even the steerer and drop-outs are carbon, but 4K miles later everything seems to be intact...
    I miss my carbon FSA K-wings. Super comfortable on the climbs and I had the tops unwrapped.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •