Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Ojai Century

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ojai Century

    Hello out there... I was wondering if anyone had done the Ojai Century or was planning on riding it this year? It's happening May 31. What's it like? the ride route? organization? sag? does it attract many riders? how does it compare to other centuries? Any information you could provide would be helpful. My riding partner and I are thinking about registering, but we'd like to know a little more about the event.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member mkadam68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
    My Bikes
    2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
    Posts
    3,562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on my schedule as 'tentative'.

    Visit The C-Blog : the blog about cycling.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Raiderdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chino Hills, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR 3 Composite, Trek 4500 Mt Bike
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode this last year. Have not done Solvang so can't compare, but overall feel this would be comparable (from what I've heard about Solvang), and I would compare it to the rides I have done...Cool Breeze, Wildflower and Lighthouse Centuries (although did the CB Double Metric). Have you done these?

    Ojai is a great ride, small # of riders, well organized, good support, etc. If the route is the same (I think it will be), you will climb around Lake Casitas (not real hard), and then have a long/but not real steep climb from Santa Paula back to Ojai (about 18 miles with 2/3 or so being climbing). Again not a steep climb, just a long gradual thing.............it is the LAST part of the ride though so at mile 82 or so, you get this 14+mile climb

    I will be signing up as well.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ronjon10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
    My Bikes
    IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm foolish enough to sign up for the Grand Tour Double century, the double metric here would be a good training ride for that. Tenative.
    just being

  5. #5
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronjon10 View Post
    If I'm foolish enough to sign up for the Grand Tour Double century, the double metric here would be a good training ride for that. Tenative.
    You're foolish enough...

  6. #6
    Senior Member ronjon10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
    My Bikes
    IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1 View Post
    You're foolish enough...
    make that a big IF
    just being

  7. #7
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronjon10 View Post
    make that a big IF
    IF you ride the Ojai Century? Nah...you can still do the GT double without this ride as training.

  8. #8
    cedar street slut ggallin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ojai
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/node/4490
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive ridden it but ive never signed up for it.

  9. #9
    Gr8 day 4 hill repeats JustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    here > X
    Posts
    976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, the route is good, though the out and back up Wheeler Cyn. to make sufficient miles could be done without. SAG stops were so-so a couple years ago, but they had a good post ride meal. Not a lot of riders, but it has been 2 years since riding it, and the ride organization was taken over by a new entity last year. If it looks like it is going to be a hot day, I suggest getting an early start to avoid the heat over Casitas Pass, and take it easy on the return from Santa Paula to Ojai over 150. Kind of a catch 22. There is more shade on hwy 150 the later it gets in the day. Have a good ride.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderdave View Post
    I rode this last year. Have not done Solvang so can't compare, but overall feel this would be comparable (from what I've heard about Solvang), and I would compare it to the rides I have done...Cool Breeze, Wildflower and Lighthouse Centuries (although did the CB Double Metric). Have you done these?

    Ojai is a great ride, small # of riders, well organized, good support, etc. If the route is the same (I think it will be), you will climb around Lake Casitas (not real hard), and then have a long/but not real steep climb from Santa Paula back to Ojai (about 18 miles with 2/3 or so being climbing). Again not a steep climb, just a long gradual thing.............it is the LAST part of the ride though so at mile 82 or so, you get this 14+mile climb

    I will be signing up as well.
    Thanks Raiderdave and everyone else who's responded so far. Yeah, I know it's one of the newer centuries, but wasn't sure about the ride itself. I have heard that it gets really hot during the ride. What was your experience regarding the weather? Thanks again

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to go for a Century a few weeks earlier, there is Cruising the Conejo. Very well supported, tons of riders and many different ride options.

    www.cvcbike.org for information.

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

  12. #12
    cedar street slut ggallin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ojai
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/node/4490
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will be 90+ in may. if not hotter. it was 106 for a few weeks last summer.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Raiderdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chino Hills, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR 3 Composite, Trek 4500 Mt Bike
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballito View Post
    Thanks Raiderdave and everyone else who's responded so far. Yeah, I know it's one of the newer centuries, but wasn't sure about the ride itself. I have heard that it gets really hot during the ride. What was your experience regarding the weather? Thanks again
    Heat was NOT an issue last year at all. Obviuosly this year could be different, but the air is clean, the area is 100% beautiful, and like last year we willl be starting as early as the ride allows so I'm not worried.

    Besides after doing the 2007 Wildflower (about 1 month earlier than Ojai) where the temp hit 110 degrees in April, no heat was going to cause me pause. That was by far the most miserable 50 miles (the last 50) I've ever had. 3 flats all because my tires and brain were melting.

  14. #14
    pmc
    pmc is offline
    Senior Member pmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Torrance
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a web site or a link forthe Ojai Century?

    I googled but couldn't really find anything for it

    Thanks
    GO KINGS GO

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmc View Post
    Is there a web site or a link forthe Ojai Century?

    I googled but couldn't really find anything for it

    Thanks
    http://www.ojaivalleycentury.org/
    [insert clever quote here]

  16. #16
    pmc
    pmc is offline
    Senior Member pmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Torrance
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog View Post

    Thanks. .
    I must have been blind. I get the Western ride Calendar. For some reason I kept looking at May 16.
    GO KINGS GO

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again to all who responded! Just signed up, so we'll see how it goes. Hammer will be down!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •