Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Idiot felt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Corona, ca
    My Bikes
    Kirklee(custom), GT GTR Ultra, Salsa Mamasita
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    '08 goals and resolutions?

    We are approaching the end of the first quarter and my questions are. Have your goals found the back burner? Or are you well on your way? My goals were and are 3,500 miles, 5:00 organized century, and 165#'s. Lets see how I am doing. My weight hasn't budged, still 185. 2,000 miles into my 3,500, I should have that done by June or July, looks like I sold myself short. As far as centuries go I completed Palm Springs in 5:20 so I guess Cool Breeze is my only shot, anyone that has road with me knows it isn't happening at BA.

  2. #2
    How much does it weigh? prendrefeu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Weight Weenie on a budget.
    My Bikes
    Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004
    Posts
    3,427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goals aren't on the back burner - I think about them daily, and it only fuels me. Some goals have been more successful in accomplishing than others, but one is a little behind schedule:

    "Put more miles on my bikes than on my car." The car is winning by 50 miles It's easily beatable at this rate... but still the fact that every moment would pass where the car is ahead in the game gets to me.

    Intense!
    Weight weenies keep it light.

    Director of the Midnight Express Ride; Board of Directors, Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ronjon10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
    My Bikes
    IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm behind on miles, but I've got a lot of centuries coming up that'll get me back on track with the mileage.
    just being

  4. #4
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only goal this year is ride my bike (i.e. have fun). So far, I'm about 70% at reaching and maintaining that goal.

  5. #5
    Game on! Gretzky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL
    Posts
    1,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Mary!
    Last year I was all about hitting my goal of 7K miles, of which I missed by only a couple hundred.. This year I'm all about enjoying my time on the bike, and riding with good people
    Red Spoke

  6. #6
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gretzky View Post
    I'm with Mary!
    Last year I was all about hitting my goal of 7K miles, of which I missed by only a couple hundred.. This year I'm all about enjoying my time on the bike, and riding with good people
    You know, Jim and I both rode without computers yesterday. I had no clue what my speed was or what our overall mileage was, but I had the best time and actually, I didn't miss my POS Garmin!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to get healthy again.



    EDIT: I also want to be 5-foot-7 by the end of the year.
    Last edited by Happytime; 03-17-08 at 09:42 AM.

  8. #8
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happytime View Post
    I just want to get healthy again.
    You are healthy, just injured at present. You'll come back strong, Happy, of that I'm sure.

  9. #9
    fart knocker Oleanshoebox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    laying back in the cut
    My Bikes
    Red silver blue, doodie caca poo.
    Posts
    1,818
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm keeping mine realistic-

    Finish the Mt Sac Fat Tire Classic.

  10. #10
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gave up on mine since I missed the BA reg. Having too much fun riding with Gina and friends anyways. Pumping iron with my daughter 4 days a week is nice too. Her smile is much more rewarding than most anything in life. And the arms are coming back!

    I can ride fast if I like. I can ride far. I can climb if I need to, I can fly down. What else is there?

    Pretty much my goals can only be set if Gina choses to no longer ride. I can't deny her the fun and the time we enjoy together. Today she just suggested that we increase the mileage on our rides. I feel a century coming on!
    Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 03-16-08 at 08:18 PM.

  11. #11
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post

    Pretty much my goals can only be set if Gina choses to no longer ride. I can't deny her the fun and the time we enjoy together. Today she just suggested that we increase the mileage on our rides. I feel a century coming on!
    I think you are one of the most considerate, romantic (to your wife only!) men I've ever met. You truly love Gina and, boy, does it show. So impressive, Fred, truly. Gina is very lucky to have you and you her, and you two are a living manual of how to keep the love alive. Here's to many miles together for both of you!

  12. #12
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first big goal is the Mulholland Double, and I'm feeling okay (if not wonderful) working towards that. Okay Butterfield was way easy. That was good.

    Spring Solvang shouldn't be too tough either. But this weekend David Wu, and his friends Tony and Jose took me on a "tour" of some of the (but certainly not all) tough climbs on the Muholland Double. 72 miles and I don't know how many thousand feet of climbing . . . maybe 9,000.

    And I was a hurting puppy! I kept an okay pace, but the thought of 130 more miles of climbs like that (and worse) is truely intimidating. Tony (who has done it before) said I'm climbing well enough that I won't have a problem finishing under the time limit . . . but I'm not so sure.

    I'm climbing a lot, trying to rest and recover, then climbing some more. Hope it works out! If it does (big IF) then I may try Terrible Two and Devil Mountain. But those are both goals beyond my first goal, i.e. Mulholland Double.

    Rick / OCRR

  13. #13
    Senior Member VanceMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    4,171
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    My first big goal is the Mulholland Double
    Rick, the most important accessory for anyone considering the MD:



  14. #14
    Climbing better scvroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    But this weekend David Wu, and his friends Tony and Jose took me on a "tour" of some of the (but certainly not all) tough climbs on the Muholland Double. 72 miles and I don't know how many thousand feet of climbing . . . maybe 9,000......
    Hey Rick,

    Saw you on Mulholland yesterday, you looked like you were doing great. I yelled out at you, I don't know if you heard me.

  15. #15
    getting dropped merckx89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    pasadena ca
    My Bikes
    cannondale super six, KHS 100 fixed, P3
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goals were 1, to put more miles on my bike than on my car, which is no longer possible as I'm now going to school somewhere else and don't have time to ride their after work so I have to drive. Up until then I was fine.
    Second was to be a cat 3 by the end of season, which I'm well on my way to doing.
    Third was 5w/kg threshold which is very close also
    fourth was 8000 miles on the bike, and according to the tracking website I use I'm on track for 10,000. So good there too.
    Fifth was century in under 5h which I did at Palm Springs.
    Looks like the only one I won't make is the mileage on the car. Doesn't help driving 200 miles to get to races and back every weekend.
    Cat 1 o-meter: cowering in fear

  16. #16
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not many specific goals except for hitting 3k miles (was a goal last year but didn't meet it, got to about 2.5k miles).

    The only other one is to hopefully do an olympic distance triathlon towards the end of the year (possibly in September or October).

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  17. #17
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scvroadie View Post
    Hey Rick,

    Saw you on Mulholland yesterday, you looked like you were doing great. I yelled out at you, I don't know if you heard me.
    Yes Lee,
    I heard you, and I yelled back, but maybe my reaction time was too slow and/or maybe I didn't yell loud enough . But I did see you, plus someone else (maybe Jon?) in your group said "Hi!" to me.

    Good to hear you think I looked like I was doing great. Guess I fooled you .

    So yeah, Tony was the leader and he worked us good. Decker was particularly painful, but not as painful as it will be with 150 miles on my legs .

    Rick / OCRR

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX
    Posts
    2,698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, the original 2008 goals thread: 2008 Goals.

    Except for registering for the KOM rides, I haven't attempted at any of my 2008 goals.

  19. #19
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    smashed Supersix
    Posts
    6,844
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot about my goals, I'm just trying to stay on my bike right now. The time changes help alot though!!!

  20. #20
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMac View Post
    Rick, the most important accessory for anyone considering the MD:
    Okay, seriously Vance,

    You've ridden the Mulholland Double (I think?) or was it the Mulholland Challenge? In either case, what's your advice for keeping a decent pace up and down the Santa Monica mountains?

    Rick / OCRR

  21. #21
    Senior Member VanceMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    4,171
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Okay, seriously Vance,

    You've ridden the Mulholland Double (I think?) or was it the Mulholland Challenge? In either case, what's your advice for keeping a decent pace up and down the Santa Monica mountains?
    I've only done the MC. I don't think I would ever do the MD. Seriously. Everyone has their limit, and for me, after 6-7 hours on the bike, it's just not fun anymore. I may do another double someday, but if I do, it won't be Mulholland! So... sorry... no advice. Except maybe force yourself to take the first 2-3 climbs at a talking pace?

  22. #22
    Live To Ride Another Day! MarkAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride 100 miles a week in any combination I can work out. I am pretty good at this except when the weather stops me (raining or COLD, WET & WINDY).
    Be a better bike mechanic. I am getting there. I am taking on more all the time. Some times it sets me back in time and money but I will get there.
    My weight is holding at 179 butt naked. It is the only way to weigh oneself.
    I always reaffirm my reasons for riding in the first place: To enjoy and encourage others to spend thousands of dollars.
    This year I plan to limit overnight stays for organized rides unless the Spousal Unit wants to go and that is unlikely.
    Find a new energy drink for rides over 60 miles. Like Carbo-Pro.
    Try a new chain lube like Prolink.
    Add more visibility to my night riding. Maybe buy a Firefly belt.
    Keep eating healthy. I eat stuff too, but most of my consumption is good; boneless skinless chicken, white fish, a lot fruit everyday, portion control, red wine and Citrucel.
    I want to ride with Mr. Beanz in his own hood. (Man you can not get a better draft.)
    Keep the Spousal Unit happy (about all my riding) so she starts buying hot dog buns again.
    Find something more practical to carry in the front of my riding shorts instead of an arm warmer. That is okay in the winter but it is not working out in the heat of summer. (Maybe a Power Bar, Shot Blocks and couple of gel packs or just go back to salted nuts.)
    Limit my riding with Thomson. He gets to many flats. He must not know about Conti Gator Skins.
    I'm pushing it "High and Wide".
    -Mark

  23. #23
    Idiot felt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Corona, ca
    My Bikes
    Kirklee(custom), GT GTR Ultra, Salsa Mamasita
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
    Ride 100 miles a week in any combination I can work out. I am pretty good at this except when the weather stops me (raining or COLD, WET & WINDY).
    Be a better bike mechanic. I am getting there. I am taking on more all the time. Some times it sets me back in time and money but I will get there.
    My weight is holding at 179 butt naked. It is the only way to weigh oneself.
    I always reaffirm my reasons for riding in the first place: To enjoy and encourage others to spend thousands of dollars.
    This year I plan to limit overnight stays for organized rides unless the Spousal Unit wants to go and that is unlikely.
    Find a new energy drink for rides over 60 miles. Like Carbo-Pro.
    Try a new chain lube like Prolink.
    Add more visibility to my night riding. Maybe buy a Firefly belt.
    Keep eating healthy. I eat stuff too, but most of my consumption is good; boneless skinless chicken, white fish, a lot fruit everyday, portion control, red wine and Citrucel.
    I want to ride with Mr. Beanz in his own hood. (Man you can not get a better draft.)
    Keep the Spousal Unit happy (about all my riding) so she starts buying hot dog buns again.
    Find something more practical to carry in the front of my riding shorts instead of an arm warmer. That is okay in the winter but it is not working out in the heat of summer. (Maybe a Power Bar, Shot Blocks and couple of gel packs or just go back to salted nuts.)
    Limit my riding with Thomson. He gets to many flats. He must not know about Conti Gator Skins.
    How many times a day does this circulate through your brain? And is it alway in that order?

  24. #24
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no goals really this year...if i can complete a double or three, great. if i can top or match my mileage from last year, great....gonna be harder this time around as im off to a plague addled first quarter with low mileage and tons of work obligations on the horizon......

    time will tell
    Mistakes are just fine. Just don't make excuses....

  25. #25
    Live To Ride Another Day! MarkAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a permanent fracture. I am never without these thoughts.
    I'm pushing it "High and Wide".
    -Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •