Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    getting dropped merckx89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    pasadena ca
    My Bikes
    cannondale super six, KHS 100 fixed, P3
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Getting Lost Sucks.

    So I started out today thinking I would get in about 70-80 miles or so. A good ride, but nothing crazy. Didn't bother to mapquest it or even look at a map really as I knew where to make the turns. Started out in Pasadena - honolulu - La Tuna - Glenoaks - Foothill - Sierra Highway - soledad canyon - something or other to make it out to acton / lancaster area - pearblossom highway - angeles forest - angeles crest. Was at 60 miles at Acton (further than I thought it would be as last time I did it I forgot I started in glendald instead of pasadena), a little more than I planned, but I figured the rest would be downhill as I would come down the crest, makes sense right. Well I had never been that far up the crest and found out it's uphill for quite a ways. Uphill and into a headwind for quite a ways as it turned out. I was already tired from doing a century yesterday and was struggling to go 5mph up a slight incline because the wind was blowing at what must have been 35mph gusts. Then made a wrong turn on Big T instead of just continuing down the angeles forest and ended up a little higher than mount wilson with an extra 15-20 miles or so, during which time I had no idea where I was, just following the road.

    One of the slowest rides I think I've ever done and most painful. ~7000 feet of climbing. Add that to the heat and it was a brutal ride, epic but brutal. Finished 8 water bottles I think ( many thanks to the coffee shop who filled them up half way) and ran out of food at mile 80 or 90, thankfully I was almost to the downhill section by then. Never underestimate how big of a difference having the last 15 miles of a ride being downhill. The scary thing was, when I was up in the crest I had no cell service and I was thinking about if I made a wrong turn and went 10 miles or so and hit a dead end and had to climb back out then I would be essentially screwed. Out of food, out of water, out of legs, and stuck in the middle of nowhere. Lesson learned, Plan out the route before you leave. Can't move my legs right now and every time I try to stand up they cramp up.
    Cat 1 o-meter: cowering in fear

  2. #2
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bummer man.....that seriously sucks
    Mistakes are just fine. Just don't make excuses....

  3. #3
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What doesn't kill you...

  4. #4
    Whateverthehell Chucklehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.S.A.
    My Bikes
    '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.
    Posts
    7,433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should do a ride just like that on friday, april 25th
    "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo daVinci

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a new script for a movie! "into the wild 2" ;-))


    Quote Originally Posted by merckx89 View Post
    So I started out today thinking I would get in about 70-80 miles or so. A good ride, but nothing crazy. Didn't bother to mapquest it or even look at a map really as I knew where to make the turns. Started out in Pasadena - honolulu - La Tuna - Glenoaks - Foothill - Sierra Highway - soledad canyon - something or other to make it out to acton / lancaster area - pearblossom highway - angeles forest - angeles crest. Was at 60 miles at Acton (further than I thought it would be as last time I did it I forgot I started in glendald instead of pasadena), a little more than I planned, but I figured the rest would be downhill as I would come down the crest, makes sense right. Well I had never been that far up the crest and found out it's uphill for quite a ways. Uphill and into a headwind for quite a ways as it turned out. I was already tired from doing a century yesterday and was struggling to go 5mph up a slight incline because the wind was blowing at what must have been 35mph gusts. Then made a wrong turn on Big T instead of just continuing down the angeles forest and ended up a little higher than mount wilson with an extra 15-20 miles or so, during which time I had no idea where I was, just following the road.

    One of the slowest rides I think I've ever done and most painful. ~7000 feet of climbing. Add that to the heat and it was a brutal ride, epic but brutal. Finished 8 water bottles I think ( many thanks to the coffee shop who filled them up half way) and ran out of food at mile 80 or 90, thankfully I was almost to the downhill section by then. Never underestimate how big of a difference having the last 15 miles of a ride being downhill. The scary thing was, when I was up in the crest I had no cell service and I was thinking about if I made a wrong turn and went 10 miles or so and hit a dead end and had to climb back out then I would be essentially screwed. Out of food, out of water, out of legs, and stuck in the middle of nowhere. Lesson learned, Plan out the route before you leave. Can't move my legs right now and every time I try to stand up they cramp up.

  6. #6
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to keep harping on SPOT, etc. but seriously...
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

  7. #7
    getting dropped merckx89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    pasadena ca
    My Bikes
    cannondale super six, KHS 100 fixed, P3
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot?
    Cat 1 o-meter: cowering in fear

  8. #8
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cal Worthington's SPOT?
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  9. #9
    getting dropped merckx89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    pasadena ca
    My Bikes
    cannondale super six, KHS 100 fixed, P3
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucklehead View Post
    you should do a ride just like that on friday, april 25th
    As long as you come with me, and I'm sitting on your wheel.
    Cat 1 o-meter: cowering in fear

  10. #10
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats SPOT?
    Mistakes are just fine. Just don't make excuses....

  11. #11
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootcore View Post
    whats SPOT?


    Spot
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX
    Posts
    2,698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, he needs a Garmin 705...

  13. #13
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yay! another gadget!!!
    Mistakes are just fine. Just don't make excuses....

  14. #14
    getting dropped merckx89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    pasadena ca
    My Bikes
    cannondale super six, KHS 100 fixed, P3
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSANYYZ View Post
    Actually, he needs a Garmin 705...
    Can I use this as an excuse to get more bike stuff? If so then Yippee, I can now tell myself that I need a garmin. The spot thing sounds like a great idea, if I did rides like this more often, then I would definitely consider one.
    Cat 1 o-meter: cowering in fear

  15. #15
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually he needs something that has not been invented yet...something like a combination of a Garmin 705 AND Spot...

    We are close to the technology needed for having something like that...for people who have serious problems out of cell phone range...
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

  16. #16
    Embracing the fredness herbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank
    My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh..I get it....OnStar for the bike...
    Could have used that this weekend...
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a $10 compass and a map? We started losing our ability to do simple math when the calculator was first marketed. Now we're going to loose our ability to figure out where we are without a specific, satellite connected gadget?! Anyone besides me see this as ludicrous?

    Note: "our" means us as a society, people as a group. Don't believe we're dumbing down? Just look at recent school test scores...

  18. #18
    It is fantastic. voltman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The OC
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro
    Posts
    7,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    How about a $10 compass and a map? We started losing our ability to do simple math when the calculator was first marketed. Now we're going to loose our ability to figure out where we are without a specific, satellite connected gadget?! Anyone besides me see this as ludicrous?

    Note: "our" means us as a society, people as a group. Don't believe we're dumbing down? Just look at recent school test scores...
    What about our ability to determine when to use lose/loose?

  19. #19
    getting dropped merckx89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    pasadena ca
    My Bikes
    cannondale super six, KHS 100 fixed, P3
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    How about a $10 compass and a map? We started losing our ability to do simple math when the calculator was first marketed. Now we're going to loose our ability to figure out where we are without a specific, satellite connected gadget?! Anyone besides me see this as ludicrous?

    Note: "our" means us as a society, people as a group. Don't believe we're dumbing down? Just look at recent school test scores...
    yea I would have been fine with a map, one problem, I had not envisioned going out that far to begin with. A map would have also gotten soaked with sweat about 3 hours into the ride and been unusable. Yea sure if your hiking and have a backpack with you then great. Besides gadgets are fun. (FWIW I do know how to read a map and have gone backpacking for days with just that and a compass, so I'm not entirely stupid)
    Cat 1 o-meter: cowering in fear

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX
    Posts
    2,698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess sometimes when you're pressed for time (daylight running out), or just too tired/out of food, a nice set of turn-by-turn instructions will be nice... especially if the magical device can tell you the fastest way to a Starbucks!

  21. #21
    Senior Member Terror_in_pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Custom Holland Ti road bike, Custom track bike I traded a painting for.
    Posts
    2,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you know what else sucks? streets without signs!
    Ode to the after work nap ( ride your bike instead)

    Ode to the nap
    The evil, evil nap
    It lures
    you succumb
    But only with good intent
    Shortly I will rise
    But you do not.
    Do not succumb
    To the evil, evil nap

  22. #22
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and clowns.....clowns suck too!!!! especially if yer lost....


    just sayin'
    Mistakes are just fine. Just don't make excuses....

  23. #23
    getting dropped merckx89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    pasadena ca
    My Bikes
    cannondale super six, KHS 100 fixed, P3
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have a hilarious story about scary clowns, but will save it for another time.
    Cat 1 o-meter: cowering in fear

  24. #24
    I'm Just Sayin'..... Scootcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
    My Bikes
    A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all clowns are scary......but mostly in a sad way.....another story for another time though, eh? cant wait.
    Mistakes are just fine. Just don't make excuses....

  25. #25
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx89 View Post
    I actually have a hilarious story about scary clowns, but will save it for another time.
    I wanna hear!!

    Do You like Clowns?
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •