Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-08, 10:00 AM   #1
julian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Julian Bicycle Festival Sat & Sun May 3rd & 4th

Road rides of 40 and 58 miles on Saturday. There is also a hill climb competition up Sunrise Hwy. This is a 2300 foot 11 mile climb. Both rides feature great scenery.
On Sunday we offer our famous 22 mile MTB ride.
Ride one day or both. On site camping is available at Frank Lane park in Julian.
For complete details please visit us on the web at: http://www.julianactive.com/julian%2...20festival.htm
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 10:14 AM   #2
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds nice. I had to look up Mapquest to find out where the heck Julian, CA is!!!
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 07:15 PM   #3
julian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
Sounds nice. I had to look up Mapquest to find out where the heck Julian, CA is!!!
I have to as well and I live up here!
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 09:04 PM   #4
wagathon
Banned
 
wagathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's definitely some ups and downs between Mt. Laguna and Julian, but I don't understand the map--it must be way off: Laguna is 6,000' not 4,000' whereas Julian actually is at about 4,000' as indicated. Compared to getting to either by bike, e.g., from Pine Valley to Mt. Laguna, or to Julian from the coast, the ride between the two, seems to me to be relatively flat.
wagathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:51 AM   #5
julian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagathon View Post
There's definitely some ups and downs between Mt. Laguna and Julian, but I don't understand the map--it must be way off: Laguna is 6,000' not 4,000' whereas Julian actually is at about 4,000' as indicated. Compared to getting to either by bike, e.g., from Pine Valley to Mt. Laguna, or to Julian from the coast, the ride between the two, seems to me to be relatively flat.
I looked at the maps and they are right. Are you talking about the 58 mile route or the 40 mile route?
Julian is around 4200 feet and Mount Laguna is around 6,000 feet.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 06:17 PM   #6
wagathon
Banned
 
wagathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mistook the 40-mile map for a one-way ride from Mt. Laguna to Julian; I see now that the ride actually is out and back from Julian so ... you're right: the map is right, i.e., from an elevation of 4k to 4k with 6k in the middle.
wagathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 06:49 PM   #7
SD_Joe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
Road rides of 40 and 58 miles on Saturday. There is also a hill climb competition up Sunrise Hwy. This is a 2300 foot 11 mile climb. Both rides feature great scenery.
On Sunday we offer our famous 22 mile MTB ride.
Ride one day or both. On site camping is available at Frank Lane park in Julian.
For complete details please visit us on the web at: http://www.julianactive.com/julian%2...20festival.htm
On a related note, can you clarify when the Palomar hill climbs is? The main page says September but the link takes me to a 2007 page which was in August.
SD_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:18 PM   #8
julian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are shooting for a date of September 27th, 2008. Check our web site in about 2 weeks for a firm date.

For the Julian Bicycle Festival, the 40 Mile road ride on Saturday is an out and back from Julian to the top of Laguana. The 58 Mile ride is a loop that goes through Cuyamaca Park to Pine Valley, climbs Sunrise Hwy to the top of Mt. Laguna and then back to Julian.
Both rides are challenging and very scenic but the 40 mile route gives more options for bailing out since it is mostly uphill on the way out.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:33 PM   #9
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...
 
alicestrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: I've got a bunch...
Posts: 7,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
Sounds nice. I had to look up Mapquest to find out where the heck Julian, CA is!!!


...stop at Dudley's Bakery on the way...
__________________
May you live long, live strong, and live happy!
alicestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:50 PM   #10
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
...stop at Dudley's Bakery on the way...
You should do the next Pie Ride with us. we stop next door.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:22 PM   #11
wagathon
Banned
 
wagathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
We are shooting for a date of September 27th, 2008. Check our web site in about 2 weeks for a firm date.

For the Julian Bicycle Festival, the 40 Mile road ride on Saturday is an out and back from Julian to the top of Laguana. The 58 Mile ride is a loop that goes through Cuyamaca Park to Pine Valley, climbs Sunrise Hwy to the top of Mt. Laguna and then back to Julian.
Both rides are challenging and very scenic but the 40 mile route gives more options for bailing out since it is mostly uphill on the way out.
In a small area that is a bit more than halfway from the Julian-south-to-Mt. Laguna portion of the ride, there's a great desert overlook. It's fun to look forward to the possibility of a no haze, clear sky day, when the views from there are ... forever.
wagathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:32 PM   #12
julian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At that overlook you get to see the desert which is over 5,000 feet below Sunrise Highway.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:51 PM   #13
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...
 
alicestrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: I've got a bunch...
Posts: 7,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Pig View Post
You should do the next Pie Ride with us. we stop next door.



Apple Pie?
__________________
May you live long, live strong, and live happy!
alicestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 10:08 PM   #14
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
Apple Pie?
There's another kind?
http://www.julianpie.com/
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 09:26 AM   #15
julian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pie and ice cream from the Julian Pie Co. is served both days after the ride.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 05:01 PM   #16
Mellowman
never easier, u go faster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there going to be supported stops for water, food?
Mellowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 09:36 PM   #17
julian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes,

Water, heed, fruit, dudley's bread.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 02:38 PM   #18
Ferrino
Englishman in San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will this year's Palomar hill climb take the same route as 2007 (i.e. East Grade rather than South Grade)?
Ferrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 06:06 PM   #19
julian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes it will. We feel the east grade is safer for bicyclists, and it is still a great climb with great views.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 09:38 AM   #20
julian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Weather looks great for this weekends rides. Highs in the mid to upper 60's. Great conditions for the hill climb competition up to the top of Mount Laguna.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 AM.