Queen of France
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: Look 565, Trek 2120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For $200 you can get a decent quality steel road bike from the 80s-early 90s. It will have friction shifters on the downtube.
1. Go to a bike shop to test ride a few entry level road bikes to find out what size you need.
2. Do not buy a bike that does not fit.
3. Look on craigslist, which about the only place you will find anything.
4. Look for brands like Trek, Nishiki, Raleigh, Miyata, Bianchi. Avoid Huffy, Ross, Roadmaster.
5. Look for bikes with CroMoly steel frames (vs. Hi-ten steel)
6. Do not buy a bike that does not fit.