Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: GMR this Sat

  1. #1
    Riding like its 1990 thenomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    IE, SoCal
    Posts
    3,663
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    GMR this Sat

    I've read about it a few times here, and now I'll give it a shot, maybe in the spirit of the tour.
    On the map it seems to be a steady rate of 6%, pretty brutal.

    Anything I should know? I'm hoping to keep the speed on the decents to 35 and under just to be safe.
    My blog about rides, bikes and builds: ridesgoneby.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member RacerX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    1,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not a bad climb at all. the first 1/3 is the steepest and it's just a nice climb with a good view too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TJKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    My Bikes
    2014 Cannondale SuperSix HiMod 2, 2006 Cannondale six13
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start early if you can. Temps will get hot, and there's very little shade on GMR. Also, there's no water on GMR, so bring at least two full bottles, and hydrate before you start your ride.

    Consider doing the "Azusa loop" wherein you go North on 39, then East on East Fork (allowing you to refill your bottles at Camp Williams on East Fork), then hang a U-turn to climb the backside of GMR (a.k.a. Little GMR) and finally descend GMR to get back to your start point (Encanto?)

  4. #4
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,417
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GMR is a great ride, you'll love it! If you start from Boulder Springs, the worst part of the climb is between miles 14 and 17.5. All the rest is fairly easy; ride at your own pace. Don't try to race everyone that goes by you.

    Bring a GU, Hammer Gel or your favorite bar in case you need a boost mid-ride. Eat and drink at the Mt. Baldy Lodge Cafe. Great people, great food!

    Rick / OCRR

  5. #5
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    ride at your own pace. Don't try to race everyone that goes by you.
    Rick / OCRR
    Only the ugly fat slow ones! Happens to me all the time!

    There are only a couple of short straight sections where you might hit anything over 35. The switchbacks make sure of the rest...If it's hot, don't use the brakes too much or it may cause a heat induced blowout. Make sure you have good tires in the heat.

    Not sure but last I heard (around the 4th) the gates were closed. If so, tkae caution on the descent after the shack, 8 miles up from the starting gate. IF gates are closed, you will approach the second one ona a fast descent, about 9 miles into the ride.

  6. #6
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,892
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better to go when it's not 100 degrees.

  7. #7
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    one for everything
    Posts
    7,093
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bring a 3rd bottle to fill at the camp ground, you'll need it!!! Once you empty a bottle, put that one in your back pocket so you don't carry the weight any more.

  8. #8
    Despite all my rage, I am rooftest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    2,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJKnight View Post
    Start early if you can. Temps will get hot, and there's very little shade on GMR. Also, there's no water on GMR, so bring at least two full bottles, and hydrate before you start your ride.

    Consider doing the "Azusa loop" wherein you go North on 39, then East on East Fork (allowing you to refill your bottles at Camp Williams on East Fork), then hang a U-turn to climb the backside of GMR (a.k.a. Little GMR) and finally descend GMR to get back to your start point (Encanto?)
    If you're thinking GMR is a "tough" climb, this will be a little more advanced for you. an up & down GMR is a good way to start slowly. no water up there.

  9. #9
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rooftest View Post
    If you're thinking GMR is a "tough" climb, this will be a little more advanced for you. an up & down GMR is a good way to start slowly. no water up there.

    Hehehe! Well if you guys happen to see a big fat FUGLY slow guy up there in an orange jersey on Saturday, He just may have a support vehicle 'round the corner!

  10. #10
    Senior Member obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    costa mesa, ca
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat, what heat?

    Rick said it's "Beat the Heat" on AC....I'm gonna roll out of Encanto and try the AC/39 loop this Sat.

    If I go solo, I'm thinking of reversing the OCRR route by doing the 39 leg first and then descending down AC. Thinking about water at that spring on side of road up 39 (VB's 'secret spot') and then lunch at Newcombs. Right now I think I'd rather ascend the 39 and descend AC.

    I'd thinking AC instead of GMR 'cause that heat advisory does look like it's sticking around and I'm hoping it does cool off a tad on AC.

  11. #11
    Riding like its 1990 thenomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    IE, SoCal
    Posts
    3,663
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we're starting at San Dimas Park and going up to the Ranger station and back.
    I'll do the camelback and we're starting early to avoid the heat.
    I'm looking forward to it in a "It's going to hurt so bad but feel so good to stop" sort of way.
    I hope a 39-26 gear is good enough, it's all I got!
    My blog about rides, bikes and builds: ridesgoneby.blogspot.com

  12. #12
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    I guess we're starting at San Dimas Park and going up to the Ranger station and back.
    I'll do the camelback and we're starting early to avoid the heat.
    I'm looking forward to it in a "It's going to hurt so bad but feel so good to stop" sort of way.
    I hope a 39-26 gear is good enough, it's all I got!

    What ranger station? On GMR?

  13. #13
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is super hot I will add a couple bottle cages for rides I know do not have water available.. Picked these up a few weeks ago.. Gives you 2 extra cages on the seatpost..

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Profile-Design-A...3%3A1|294%3A50

  14. #14
    Riding like its 1990 thenomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    IE, SoCal
    Posts
    3,663
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno, never been there, just going by what the lead guy is saying (friend of a friend, haven't met him yet)
    My blog about rides, bikes and builds: ridesgoneby.blogspot.com

  15. #15
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    Dunno, never been there, just going by what the lead guy is saying (friend of a friend, haven't met him yet)
    ...........................


    There is a small abandoned (?) building about 8 miles up referrred to as by "the shack". Ithink they use it to store road equipment now and then ,bulldozers and stuff. Many cyclist turnback as a rondezvous point.

    If you are starting at SanDimas Park, it may be a good idea to refill your waterbottles at BoulderSprings (first and only stoplight intersection as you make a right to head up GMR. There is a small horsepark there, and a WATERFOUNTAIN!

    You should be fine with a 39/26. I'm a bigboy (230-245lbs) and do it with a 39/25. Nothing to steep, just constant. After the first 2 miles of serious climbing (after the gate), IMO, the grade eases up a bit.

    If you only go to the shack, should be a breeze!

  16. #16
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
    If it is super hot I will add a couple bottle cages for rides I know do not have water available.. Picked these up a few weeks ago.. Gives you 2 extra cages on the seatpost..

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Profile-Design-A...3%3A1|294%3A50
    I've seen bikes with those before. I like them...maybe I'll get one.
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

  17. #17
    Senior Member obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    costa mesa, ca
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
    If it is super hot I will add a couple bottle cages for rides I know do not have water available.. Picked these up a few weeks ago.. Gives you 2 extra cages on the seatpost..

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Profile-Design-A...3%3A1|294%3A50
    I'm thinking about those but, doesn't that limit the size of your saddle bag?

  18. #18
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    I've seen bikes with those before. I like them...maybe I'll get one.
    Get one! We'll be happy to have you up on GMR with us!

  19. #19
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obie View Post
    I'm thinking about those but, doesn't that limit the size of your saddle bag?
    It seems to angle downward and away from your seatpack unless you have a huge one.. They normally sell for 35.00, so 19.00 w/ free shipping seems like a good deal..

  20. #20
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,892
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obie View Post
    Heat, what heat?

    Rick said it's "Beat the Heat" on AC....I'm gonna roll out of Encanto and try the AC/39 loop this Sat.

    If I go solo, I'm thinking of reversing the OCRR route by doing the 39 leg first and then descending down AC. Thinking about water at that spring on side of road up 39 (VB's 'secret spot') and then lunch at Newcombs. Right now I think I'd rather ascend the 39 and descend AC.

    I'd thinking AC instead of GMR 'cause that heat advisory does look like it's sticking around and I'm hoping it does cool off a tad on AC.
    If you're going up 39 first you will hit the hot part in the hottest part of the day and you will finish in the heat. I have gone the other way, (up AC down 39), when it was 110 at Encanto at the end. Hard day, but it's only deadly hot at the end and most of the climbing is done.

  21. #21
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping Sat is like today. We headed out after 8:30 and it didn't feel warm at all. Last year we'd head out at 7 (same course) and Gina would suffer from the heat. Today was sweet! Gina barely broke a sweat.

    If Sat is like today, a 7 am start on GMR will be real nice!

  22. #22
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,417
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7:00 Start from Bolder Springs works for me.

    Okay with you Beanz?

    Okay with you Obie?

    Okay with you Alice?

    Rick / OCRR

    Attach insprational GMR/GRR photo here:


  23. #23
    Gr8 day 4 hill repeats JustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    here > X
    Posts
    976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    If you're going up 39 first you will hit the hot part in the hottest part of the day and you will finish in the heat. . . .
    How's that John?? If you go up 39, and then over Cloudburst before stopping for lunch, it sounds to me like you've beat the heat. The rest of the loop is pretty much down hill with the exception of a few short climes. And once your down to LaCanada, the route back to Encanto is pretty much a gentle descent from 1330 to 600 ft.
    "Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work." - Samuel L. Clemens 1908 letter

  24. #24
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,892
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    How's that John?? If you go up 39, and then over Cloudburst before stopping for lunch, it sounds to me like you've beat the heat. The rest of the loop is pretty much down hill with the exception of a few short climes. And once your down to LaCanada, the route back to Encanto is pretty much a gentle descent from 1330 to 600 ft.
    It will get hot by Newcomb's and you have that (short) climb up to Red Box that is an oven. While the climbing may be mostly done, you still have to ride in the high temps. Going the other way it's only awful at the end. YMMV

  25. #25
    Senior Member embe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    pacific beach, ca
    My Bikes
    giant defy 2
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is GMR the same as azusa canyon?

    pretty pumped, I grew up in baldwin park and moved to SD a few years back, but heading home and gonna bring the bike with me for the azusa canyon ride saturday morning around 7am.

    Hope to see a few of you guys out there, I ride a red giant defy 2 with a green and grey jersey.

    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •