Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southern California (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/)
-   -   Share your ride in Socal via Garmin Connect (or other program)... (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/700844-share-your-ride-socal-via-garmin-connect-other-program.html)

dblackwood72 06-23-11 01:11 PM

My ride from a couple days ago... 40 mile

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93981894

dblackwood72 06-23-11 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volosong (Post 12659274)
Those of you who have put up a lot of your rides, I noticed that you maintain a heartrate of around 160 bpm. Pretty impressive! On the one ride I posted, climbing the hill, I had a heartrate of about 150, but on the long, slightly downhill run, my heartrate was around 210-220, mas o menos.

Does that just mean that I'm out of shape, (which I know that I am)? Why would my heartrate on a climb be significantly less than on the downslope run? Am I "pushing it" too much? (I'll turn 60 later this summer, and am currently about 20 lbs. heavier than my ideal weight.)

After school lets out in the next few weeks, I'll have the opportunity to ride a lot more in the evenings. Hopefully, I can get my heart to pump a little slower when I'm on the bike. Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.

do you use any type of conductive jelly between your skin and the HRM electrodes? I use a little KY which works great, I've never had any problems with my HR readings.

dblackwood72 06-23-11 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volosong (Post 12672783)
Went on a new loop ride today. Started from Marie Kerr Park, so that out-of-towners can have a good place to park and start/finish. Loop too way longer than I expected. But, the wind changed from calm to blustery about half of the way in. Post-ride analysis shows that the one hill on the route, Johnson Road is classified as a Cat 2 climb. For some reason, I thought it was a Cat 3. Don't feel so band now.

Garmin Connect version of Johnson Road loop
Map My Ride version of Johnson Road loop

Hey I just realized we are from the same area. I ride Johnson Rd all the time. Strava.com classifies it as a Cat 3. I like to climb Johnson Rd, turn onto San Fransiciquito which is short but steep 8 - 9% for ~0.7 miles. After which you are rewarded with a fun 2 mile descent. I then turn onto Spunky Canyon for a fairly easy climb ~1.7 miles, then onto Bouquet Canyon for another Cat 3 climb ~3.2 miles, not as difficult as Johnson Rd. A short descent down Bouquet back onto Elizabeth Lake, then the south side of Godde Rd ~0.9 miles.

All in all, my route is just shy of 40 miles, 5 climbs (two Cat 3, 3 Cat 4's) for a total ascent of 2930ft. Its a fun route, let me know if you would like to meet up one morning and ride someday. I like to go early in the morning before the winds pick up. Anyway here is a link of my ride on Strava.

http://app.strava.com/rides/782640

mtrider05 06-23-11 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblackwood72 (Post 12830890)
Hey I just realized we are from the same area. I ride Johnson Rd all the time. Strava.com classifies it as a Cat 3. I like to climb Johnson Rd, turn onto San Fransiciquito which is short but steep 8 - 9% for ~0.7 miles. After which you are rewarded with a fun 2 mile descent. I then turn onto Spunky Canyon for a fairly easy climb ~1.7 miles, then onto Bouquet Canyon for another Cat 3 climb ~3.2 miles, not as difficult as Johnson Rd. A short descent down Bouquet back onto Elizabeth Lake, then the south side of Godde Rd ~0.9 miles.

All in all, my route is just shy of 40 miles, 5 climbs (two Cat 3, 3 Cat 4's) for a total ascent of 2930ft. Its a fun route, let me know if you would like to meet up one morning and ride someday. I like to go early in the morning before the winds pick up. Anyway here is a link of my ride on Strava.

http://app.strava.com/rides/782640

That makes 3 of us, the ride you posted is fun. I usually do one of these every day:
http://app.strava.com/rides/793489
http://app.strava.com/rides/793488

or putter around doing this if I don't wanna suck wind that day, I make all sorts of weird laps.
http://app.strava.com/rides/793491

dblackwood72 06-23-11 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtrider05 (Post 12832683)
That makes 3 of us, the ride you posted is fun. I usually do one of these every day:
http://app.strava.com/rides/793489
http://app.strava.com/rides/793488

or putter around doing this if I don't wanna suck wind that day, I make all sorts of weird laps.
http://app.strava.com/rides/793491

How is Munz Ranch compared to Johnson Rd? Looks like you're out in the evening time mostly, I usually go early in the morning before the wind/heat/traffic increase. Do you ride with a group or solo? I'm usually solo, but am looking for a group to ride with.

mtrider05 06-23-11 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblackwood72 (Post 12832824)
How is Munz Ranch compared to Johnson Rd? Looks like you're out in the evening time mostly, I usually go early in the morning before the wind/heat/traffic increase. Do you ride with a group or solo? I'm usually solo, but am looking for a group to ride with.

I like it better than Johnson, it starts off with uphill rollers then starts climbing for real right before the aquaduct. I've only actually climbed Johnson once, last year I used to climb Munz and descend Johnson, this year I have favored the routes I linked above. I ride alone pretty much always, but I always like riding with people.

I think I'm riding in the area Saturday, Sunday and most likely the rest of next week. Not sure of the routes yet for the weekend, depends on the big climbing day I have planned for tomorrow.

volosong 06-23-11 11:02 PM

You guys are giving me some good ideas of where to ride. Just tonight, my lady took me out Elizabeth Lake Road because she wanted to show me Lake Elizabeth, with the idea of a nice place to kayak. Looks nice. We'll need to get a forest pass first. I did notice Munz Ranch Road and wondered if it went over the hill to the AV. Your map shows that it does.

I've only ridden Johnson Road once, several weeks ago. Up to then, I was concentrating on my little 15 mile loop over Godde Hill. Been trying off and on for a year or so to ride that loop in under an hour. It really depends on the wind on any given attempt. With the West wind, getting up and over Godde is difficult, but the run in on ELR is sweet. I can make up time on that road that was lost going over Godde into the wind. I finally decided that I either needed to get up over Godde faster, or hit the signals just right. I always come within two or three minutes of an hour, but just can't quite get there.

Then, with the new bike, and on a relatively windless day, I finally made it in under an hour. I haven't ridden it since and have been looking for new personal challenges ... hence trying Johnson Road. I have to admit that I had a little trouble getting over Johnson. Avenue I is really not the best road to ride, due to the prison traffic. Once you get past the prison, then it is a lightly traveled road, but a bit rougher. If found 110th West to be a good road, but with my 53/39 and 11-27, found that my gearing was just a tad too high. I have a compact on order and it should arrive sometime early next week. And, if that isn't low enough, I can take the Trek, which has a triple and an 11-28. Certainly that is low enough, but it will just take me a little longer than you guys.

I too usually ride alone, except for when I ride with my lady friend. We were introduced a couple years ago with the goal of being "cycling buddies". It has grown to a lot more and today, we are each other's best friends. She doesn't like to ride with me because she thinks she is holding me back. I have a difficult time convincing her that just being together, riding, is enough and when I want to get a really good, aerobic cycling workout ... I'll just go ride by myself.

I question my abilities if I were to ride with other people, such as you guys. I'm on the larger end of the spectrum, height wise, of the serious cycling people, which means that it takes me a little longer getting over hills. I don't want to hold you guys back. I could stand to lose about 20 pounds too. That is my goal, but I eat too damn much. I am going to go ahead and ride one of those loops you guys posted, and compare to see if indeed I can keep up, or I'd hold you back too much.

Isn't there a cycling club in the area? The High Desert Cyclists? Or, something like that? They have rides frequently, I think.

As to when I ride, I have a day-time mortgage paying job over the hill which means I have to leave pretty early and don't get back to Palmdale until right around 6 or so. The past week or so, I've tried to get in a few miles several times a week. (Tuesday, I rode out on Sierra Highway between Rosamond and Lancaster. Sierra Highway is really a pretty good ride once you get out past Lancaster. Nice wide lane out of traffic to ride in. Not many signals either, so you can get into a good rhythm for some miles.)

We have every other Friday off work, and I usually that the other Friday off as a vacation day. I try to get in 40-50 miles or so on Friday. Then, at least one other day over the weekend for another 30-40 miles. This weekend isn't looking so good. I need to take the car in tomorrow morning for some service in Tarzana and I have a noon-time tennis match in Woodland Hills on Sunday, (USTA league match). We're going to try and go to the Hollywood Bowl tomorrow night too, so the only opportunity I'll have to ride this weekend would be on Saturday. I just might try that Johnson Road, Spunky Canyon, Bouquet Canyon, Godde Hill loop Saturday morning to see just how good ... or how "bad" I really am compared to you guys. I'll park at AVC so that I can approximate your mileage/route.

Ride safe.

mtrider05 06-23-11 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volosong (Post 12833286)
You guys are giving me some good ideas of where to ride. Just tonight, my lady took me out Elizabeth Lake Road because she wanted to show me Lake Elizabeth, with the idea of a nice place to kayak. Looks nice. We'll need to get a forest pass first. I did notice Munz Ranch Road and wondered if it went over the hill to the AV. Your map shows that it does.

I've only ridden Johnson Road once, several weeks ago. Up to then, I was concentrating on my little 15 mile loop over Godde Hill. Been trying off and on for a year or so to ride that loop in under an hour. It really depends on the wind on any given attempt. With the West wind, getting up and over Godde is difficult, but the run in on ELR is sweet. I can make up time on that road that was lost going over Godde into the wind. I finally decided that I either needed to get up over Godde faster, or hit the signals just right. I always come within two or three minutes of an hour, but just can't quite get there.

Then, with the new bike, and on a relatively windless day, I finally made it in under an hour. I haven't ridden it since and have been looking for new personal challenges ... hence trying Johnson Road. I have to admit that I had a little trouble getting over Johnson. Avenue I is really not the best road to ride, due to the prison traffic. Once you get past the prison, then it is a lightly traveled road, but a bit rougher. If found 110th West to be a good road, but with my 53/39 and 11-27, found that my gearing was just a tad too high. I have a compact on order and it should arrive sometime early next week. And, if that isn't low enough, I can take the Trek, which has a triple and an 11-28. Certainly that is low enough, but it will just take me a little longer than you guys.

I too usually ride alone, except for when I ride with my lady friend. We were introduced a couple years ago with the goal of being "cycling buddies". It has grown to a lot more and today, we are each other's best friends. She doesn't like to ride with me because she thinks she is holding me back. I have a difficult time convincing her that just being together, riding, is enough and when I want to get a really good, aerobic cycling workout ... I'll just go ride by myself.

I question my abilities if I were to ride with other people, such as you guys. I'm on the larger end of the spectrum, height wise, of the serious cycling people, which means that it takes me a little longer getting over hills. I don't want to hold you guys back. I could stand to lose about 20 pounds too. That is my goal, but I eat too damn much. I am going to go ahead and ride one of those loops you guys posted, and compare to see if indeed I can keep up, or I'd hold you back too much.

Isn't there a cycling club in the area? The High Desert Cyclists? Or, something like that? They have rides frequently, I think.

As to when I ride, I have a day-time mortgage paying job over the hill which means I have to leave pretty early and don't get back to Palmdale until right around 6 or so. The past week or so, I've tried to get in a few miles several times a week. (Tuesday, I rode out on Sierra Highway between Rosamond and Lancaster. Sierra Highway is really a pretty good ride once you get out past Lancaster. Nice wide lane out of traffic to ride in. Not many signals either, so you can get into a good rhythm for some miles.)

We have every other Friday off work, and I usually that the other Friday off as a vacation day. I try to get in 40-50 miles or so on Friday. Then, at least one other day over the weekend for another 30-40 miles. This weekend isn't looking so good. I need to take the car in tomorrow morning for some service in Tarzana and I have a noon-time tennis match in Woodland Hills on Sunday, (USTA league match). We're going to try and go to the Hollywood Bowl tomorrow night too, so the only opportunity I'll have to ride this weekend would be on Saturday. I just might try that Spunky Canyon, Bouquet Canyon, Godde Hill loop Saturday morning to see just how good ... or how "bad" I really am compared to you guys.

Ride safe.

The way I take to get out to Munz/Johnson is, in my opinion, the least trafficked way to get out there. I've tried essentially every street and they are all pretty bad until you get out past 60th. There is a club in the area, they have group rides Saturdays at 7am, never attended. If you'd like a chatting partner on the ride I can go out with you on Saturday, that ride is really nice especially in Spunky Canyon. I'm not worried about speed at all, if you're interested drop me a PM.

volosong 06-23-11 11:16 PM

Another ride I'm contemplating riding is a century from Palmdale to Techachapi and back. It would be self-supported, but Techachapi is a nice half-way point where there are some nice eating places to re-fuel before the run back. I was planning on doing that in July one Saturday. Any one is welcome to ride along. I was thinking of leaving pretty early so I could get up the hill before the winds pickup. Only fear is intense cross winds on the way back, between Rosamond and Lancaster. (Maybe I was just too unprepared that one day when I rode half way up the hill, only to turn around because I bonked. The cross winds coming back were brutal on my psyche. I need to remind myself to drink and eat more while riding. I did make it a metric-century that day, so at least I have something to show for my efforts.)

volosong 06-23-11 11:35 PM

Yeah, I should get off my duff and just do it. We can ask dblackwood72 also. Safety in numbers, and all that. We'll go PM from here on out, so we don't clutter the forum.

dblackwood72 06-24-11 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volosong (Post 12833351)
Yeah, I should get off my duff and just do it. We can ask dblackwood72 also. Safety in numbers, and all that. We'll go PM from here on out, so we don't clutter the forum.

Hey,

I received your PM,but apparently I cannot respond until I have at least 50 posts... anyway if I can make it tomorrow, I'll be there at 8:45, if not don't wait for me... have fun!

volosong 06-24-11 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblackwood72 (Post 12837657)
Hey,

I received your PM,but apparently I cannot respond until I have at least 50 posts... anyway if I can make it tomorrow, I'll be there at 8:45, if not don't wait for me... have fun!

Hope you can make it. We're meeting just north of the beige can/bottle recycle "box" in the west end of the Albertson's parking lot at "N" and 50th West. A 2-3 hour ride is what I was told to expect.

stugi79 06-25-11 01:29 PM

31 miles this morning http://app.strava.com/rides/807260

volosong 06-25-11 04:54 PM

Godde Hill, north San Fransquito and Spunky Canyons
 
Went on a nice little ride with mtrider05 this morning. Rode a figure-8 38.2 mile ride. Mtrider05 was very kind to wait at the top of every climb until I was able to haul my fat, out of shape, carcass up to the top, then he made sure I was ready to go before we set off again. Have been afraid to tackle Spunky Canyon, but it turned out to be pretty easy. On San Fransquito, I even rode past a mountain biker, (with his lower gearing), on the way up who was hoofing it. That one was easier also. (I think mtrider05 took me the easy way up the climbs.)

It was a beautiful day for a ride; not too windy, not too hot, not too many automobiles. Just about perfect! If you ever get an opportunity to ride with mtrider05, do so. He is strong, fit, and the perfect gentleman. He even suggested an add-on extra few miles because he knew I'm trying to reach 300 miles for the month.

Garmin Connect version
Strava Ride version

(Note: mtrider05's stats are going to be a lot different than mine. He will have a whole lot more "resting" time and his average/moving speeds will be a lot higher.) Thanks for the companionship, mtrider05.

p.s. It was good to see so many people out cycling this morning. (All coming the other way), one fellow passed us riding solo; on a climb, four people came down as we were going up; the solo guy on a mtb; two riders later on. Usually, I don't see anyone, and maybe one out of five, I'll see one or two. The more we are out there, the more aware of us cagers will become.

dblackwood72 06-25-11 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volosong (Post 12839942)
Went on a nice little ride with mtrider05 this morning. Rode a figure-8 38.2 mile ride. Mtrider05 was very kind to wait at the top of every climb until I was able to haul my fat, out of shape, carcass up to the top, then he made sure I was ready to go before we set off again. Have been afraid to tackle Spunky Canyon, but it turned out to be pretty easy. On San Fransquito, I even rode past a mountain biker, (with his lower gearing), on the way up who was hoofing it. That one was easier also. (I think mtrider05 took me the easy way up the climbs.)

It was a beautiful day for a ride; not too windy, not too hot, not too many automobiles. Just about perfect! If you ever get an opportunity to ride with mtrider05, do so. He is strong, fit, and the perfect gentleman. He even suggested an add-on extra few miles because he knew I'm trying to reach 300 miles for the month.

Garmin Connect version
Strava Ride version

(Note: mtrider05's stats are going to be a lot different than mine. He will have a whole lot more "resting" time and his average/moving speeds will be a lot higher.) Thanks for the companionship, mtrider05.

p.s. It was good to see so many people out cycling this morning. (All coming the other way), one fellow passed us riding solo; on a climb, four people came down as we were going up; the solo guy on a mtb; two riders later on. Usually, I don't see anyone, and maybe one out of five, I'll see one or two. The more we are out there, the more aware of us cagers will become.

Hey, sorry I couldn't make it... Looks like you had a great time and you pushed yourself further than you have before, great job! Maybe I can catch up with you guys next time.

mtrider05 06-25-11 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volosong (Post 12839942)
Went on a nice little ride with mtrider05 this morning. Rode a figure-8 38.2 mile ride. Mtrider05 was very kind to wait at the top of every climb until I was able to haul my fat, out of shape, carcass up to the top, then he made sure I was ready to go before we set off again. Have been afraid to tackle Spunky Canyon, but it turned out to be pretty easy. On San Fransquito, I even rode past a mountain biker, (with his lower gearing), on the way up who was hoofing it. That one was easier also. (I think mtrider05 took me the easy way up the climbs.)

It was a beautiful day for a ride; not too windy, not too hot, not too many automobiles. Just about perfect! If you ever get an opportunity to ride with mtrider05, do so. He is strong, fit, and the perfect gentleman. He even suggested an add-on extra few miles because he knew I'm trying to reach 300 miles for the month.

Garmin Connect version
Strava Ride version

(Note: mtrider05's stats are going to be a lot different than mine. He will have a whole lot more "resting" time and his average/moving speeds will be a lot higher.) Thanks for the companionship, mtrider05.

p.s. It was good to see so many people out cycling this morning. (All coming the other way), one fellow passed us riding solo; on a climb, four people came down as we were going up; the solo guy on a mtb; two riders later on. Usually, I don't see anyone, and maybe one out of five, I'll see one or two. The more we are out there, the more aware of us cagers will become.

You're far too kind, there are many more people who are much stonger/faster than I am. Good ride today though, I think I'm going to ride a century tomorrow, not sure why, haha.

Ben FR 06-25-11 10:24 PM

Climb to Kaiser 2011
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/94846117

Genaro 07-19-11 08:14 AM

First ride since I busted up my ribs. Exactly one month off!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/100209586

motrheadsroadie 07-30-11 09:21 PM

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102879554
i rode from ojai to bates beach and back. i wanted to go all the way to santa barbara, but i was sick of fighting the headwind. oh well, 56 miles isnt that bad.

mtrider05 07-31-11 10:23 PM

PR'd everything today, quite happy.
http://app.strava.com/rides/1054338

Ben FR 08-01-11 07:06 PM

Saturday, 07-30-11: http://app.strava.com/rides/1044865
Sunday, 07-31-11: http://app.strava.com/rides/1050587

stugi79 08-02-11 09:09 PM

Today - http://app.strava.com/rides/1069902

Hot out!

mtrider05 08-06-11 06:11 PM

http://app.strava.com/rides/1135023/

Genaro 08-09-11 08:18 PM

On Sunday, I rode from my job to Aliso beachea via Miliken / Hamner to SART to PCH. First time riding on PCH. I was tired and the rollers were getting to me. Meeting up with the family at the beach made it worth it. It was a great day at the beach. Battery died in Laguna beach so cut off about 15 miles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105303725

Genaro 08-15-11 07:20 AM

Lytle Creek Sunday
It was hot at around 1:30 PM, turned around about 3 miles before the end of the road.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/106654429


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.