Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-11, 04:32 PM   #1
cervelo4me
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
budget for shoes about 200.00 any advice

to go with speedplay titanium clickins
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 05:29 PM   #2
knowledgdropper 
Needs the magic spanner
 
knowledgdropper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lovely Long Beach, CA
Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3, Bianchi Cafe Milano
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a pretty good budget. Are these your first set of cycling shoes? For practicality's sake, you should be sure to try on different brands and styles to see what fits best and what fastener system (i.e. buckles, velcro, etc.) works for you. Keep in mind that shoe sizing can vary wildly from one manufacturer to another.

That being said, I can't imagine a more comfortable shoe, for me, than my S-Works road shoes. I found my 2010 model on clearance for under $200. Specialized also makes a very similar "Pro" model (2011) for $200 (regular price).
__________________
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way- turn." - Charles DeMar
knowledgdropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 09:09 PM   #3
cervelo4me
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
first shoes first road bike first carbon first click in first fall too cervelo r3 by the way
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 09:32 PM   #4
JustMe
Gr8 day 4 hill repeats
 
JustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: here > X
Bikes:
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My suggestion would be to forget the expensive titanium, and put the extra money into the best pair of shoes you can afford.
JustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 09:45 PM   #5
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
These are budget shoes.



They go with pedals like these.



$200 shoes are *not* budget.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 10:43 PM   #6
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
$200 shoes are *not* budget.
The title threw me at first as well, but he's stating that his budget for shoes is $200, not that he wants budget shoes.

To the OP, with that budget, go to a store and try them on. Snug but comfortable is more important than just about anything else.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 11:27 PM   #7
Condorita
Grammar Cop
 
Condorita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Papa Smurf's Lair
Bikes: in my sig line
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sneakers and platform pedals work just fine.
Condorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:39 AM   #8
rallison
Senior Member
 
rallison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Belmont Shore (Long Beach), CA
Bikes: Scattante R-560 w/ Velocity Deep V rims
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A $200 budget moves you into Sidi range, one of the most liked brands around (aside from the price, that is).
rallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:24 AM   #9
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallison View Post
A $200 budget moves you into Sidi range, one of the most liked brands around (aside from the price, that is).
But I reiterate, go to at least one store and try multiple brands on. Although Sidi is possibly the #1 choice among hardcore riders, they are not for everyone. They kill my feet in less than 2 hours. Too bad my feet like Shimano shoes, because they look horrible.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 04:06 PM   #10
cervelo4me
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i mean i willing to drop 200.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
These are budget shoes.



They go with pedals like these.



$200 shoes are *not* budget.
lighten up
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 09:42 PM   #11
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I thought that was keeping it light.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 10:30 PM   #12
slipstream8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 1998 Land Shark 853, Ibis Bow-Ti
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like the other guys have said, the best thing you can do is go to a couple of the bigger bike shops in the area and try on as many different brands as you can. Be sure you're wearing cycling socks when you go, or you'll get to use the "special" sock pile.
slipstream8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:40 PM   #13
jabantik00
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oceanside
Bikes:
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have been seeing the shimano custom fit road and mountain shoes on bonktown and chainlove today. i can't say anything about them, but they are supposed to be pretty good. they will probably be back on those sites soon
jabantik00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 07:55 AM   #14
sojourn
Senior Member
 
sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes: Madone 6.2
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shoes are like saddles in that everyone has an opinion on which is the best. Because they are like saddles, you'll have to discover which ones will work for you, it's a personal journey so to speak.
In general terms sole stiffness is important, the stiffer the better for road cycling. Personally I need a wider shoe but length needs to be exact.
The process of finding out what's right for you, from type of bike, to the tires you'll roll on, is an individual journey. I'm not discouraging you from asking for opinions, but remember that's exactly what you'll get, opinions. The facts are that like all the folks giving their opinions are that they had to go through the discovery process as well, just like you are doing now.
The process at times is a pain in the ass.....that being said, it's also very rewarding.
I'll share one more thing I've learned and IMHO, don't go cheap on shoes.
Good luck and ride safe!
__________________
sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 03:09 PM   #15
sdgrannygear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are really on a budget, return your ti pedals and get stainless. the comfort of your foot is logarithmically more important than saving a few grams on your pedal. Knowing what I know now, were I to go back and do it again, this would be my priority in spending my money,
bike fit>shoes>saddle>bib shorts>pedals>frame>wheels

btw, they are "clipless" not clickins, it's counterintuitive, I know.

Last edited by sdgrannygear; 03-23-11 at 03:21 PM.
sdgrannygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:03 PM   #16
cervelo4me
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
200.00 seems very middle of the road from what im seeing not looking forward to falling a few times at the beginning but hey thats part of the deal
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:05 PM   #17
cervelo4me
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
rofl special sock section that returns my foot fungus with a vengence too funny and that is great advice.by the way im such a rookie i didnt even know there was socks for bike shoes
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:06 PM   #18
longbeachgary
Senior Member
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Check out the Sidi Zephyr at performance bike. On sale $119 regular price is $189. Nice shoe
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:12 PM   #19
cervelo4me
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
yep your right i decided early on i was not gonna get crap anything for my new hobbie i bought a cervelo r3 so im gonna due it justice and not be cheap and buy really good everything including shoes your posts are always informative by the way and i do appreciate it.one more thing should i install the speedplays when i get them this weekend or let a bike mechanic do it?it looks real easy
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:14 PM   #20
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Pedals are easy to install. Remember that the left pedal has left hand threads.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 12:06 AM   #21
slipstream8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 1998 Land Shark 853, Ibis Bow-Ti
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgrannygear View Post
If you are really on a budget, return your ti pedals and get stainless. the comfort of your foot is logarithmically more important than saving a few grams on your pedal. Knowing what I know now, were I to go back and do it again, this would be my priority in spending my money,
bike fit>shoes>saddle>bib shorts>pedals>frame>wheels
This is great advice! I just got a preliminary bike fit on my 12-year-old custom frame, that was designed for me, that has already made my riding more enjoyable. (It's preliminary because I had to order a new fork because the steerer had been cut too short.) I'm really looking forward to the full pro fit in a week or so.

It took me three or four tries to get the shoes right. I just found a saddle that is as comfortable as my old Selle Italia Flight but doesn't make my guy parts go numb. And I bought my first pair of bib shorts last month and now know what all the fuss is about with those.

If you feel like you must buy S*play, stick with the steel spindles, and as sdgrannygear says, spend the money you saved on one of the items above.

And one more thing on the socks. You don't necessarily have to buy cycling-specific socks. I'm using RoadRunner "hyper-thin" synthetic running socks that I prefer to my old Smartwool or cotton cycling socks. Dry feet are happy feet.
slipstream8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 10:07 AM   #22
sdgrannygear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trust me cervelo, you are not skimping by buying 180 dollar stainless pedals. I know guys with 10K+ bikes that still use stainless, in fact, I don't know of anyone that uses titanium because the cost benefit ratio is simply not worth it (depending on your point of view). Now if you wanted to buy 50 dollar nashbar pedals... Not that there is anything wrong with that, I can almost assure you, you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference off the bat. In fact, you will probably like them better than speedplays initially since those are much easier to get into than speedplays. Since you've never ridden clipless, the larger surface area would give you more confidence. The tendency when starting out as a newbie is to go light-light-light. I made this mistake early on. Comfort is #1. I cannot emphasize enough how important a proper fit is to your riding.
sdgrannygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 10:19 PM   #23
cervelo4me
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgrannygear View Post
Trust me cervelo, you are not skimping by buying 180 dollar stainless pedals. I know guys with 10K+ bikes that still use stainless, in fact, I don't know of anyone that uses titanium because the cost benefit ratio is simply not worth it (depending on your point of view). Now if you wanted to buy 50 dollar nashbar pedals... Not that there is anything wrong with that, I can almost assure you, you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference off the bat. In fact, you will probably like them better than speedplays initially since those are much easier to get into than speedplays. Since you've never ridden clipless, the larger surface area would give you more confidence. The tendency when starting out as a newbie is to go light-light-light. I made this mistake early on. Comfort is #1. I cannot emphasize enough how important a proper fit is to your riding.
great advice im going speedplay and im off the titanium thing since im not lance armstrong......im going with stainless speedplay zeros and putting the extra cash into shoes ....thanks for your post it was right on
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 PM.