Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: SoCal PBK Q

  1. #1
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    SoCal PBK Q

    I just ordered a pair of GP4000's from PBK. I try to buy local mainly not liking to order stuff but Jeez! $75 for a GP at local shops?

    I got 2 for $89 at PBK out the door. That's like getting a second tire for $14.

    Never been much of a mail order guy but it's time. Last purchase was also mail order.

    But a question for those that also buy from PBK. I read something about being responsible for customs charges if applied. Hoping it doesn't apply to us in SoCal.

    Any PBK customers ever have to deal with these charges?

  2. #2
    don't try this at home. rm -rf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,735
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any extra charges on my 3 or 4 orders. The first two came in 5 days! They ship tires in a blue plastic bag and they arrive via US Mail. The latest order (not tires) took about 9 or 10 days. I was starting to get worried. But, even though there's no tracking numbers, PBK is supposed to handle lost shipments OK.

    As I remember, my credit card got a 3% currency conversion charge added to the PBK quoted price.

    (I paid $34 each two years ago)
    Last edited by rm -rf; 03-31-12 at 08:05 PM.

  3. #3
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
    I haven't had any extra charges on my 3 or 4 orders. The first two came in 5 days! They ship tires in a blue plastic bag and they arrive via US Mail. The latest order (not tires) took about 9 or 10 days. I was starting to get worried.
    Thanks for the info, now I know to be patient. But I'm in no hurry so it's all good.

  4. #4
    [IMG]http://i4.photobucke jeepseahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff gets checked randomly by customs, crap shoot coming from overseas. If your package gets checked you will be charged.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beanz, I have been buying stuff from PBK for a long time. No import duty on items like bicycle tires. You do get dinged foreign transaction fees by certain credit card companies though. A way to avoid the foreign transaction fees is to pay thru PayPal.
    Regards,

    Jed

  6. #6
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    I just ordered a pair of GP4000's from PBK. I try to buy local mainly not liking to order stuff but Jeez! $75 for a GP at local shops?

    I got 2 for $89 at PBK out the door. That's like getting a second tire for $14.

    Never been much of a mail order guy but it's time. Last purchase was also mail order.

    But a question for those that also buy from PBK. I read something about being responsible for customs charges if applied. Hoping it doesn't apply to us in SoCal.

    Any PBK customers ever have to deal with these charges?

    never been charged duty on anything from PBK..

  7. #7
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
    Beanz, I have been buying stuff from PBK for a long time. No import duty on items like bicycle tires. You do get dinged foreign transaction fees by certain credit card companies though. A way to avoid the foreign transaction fees is to pay thru PayPal.
    Darn, maybe I should have used paypal rather than the pbk selection.

    Thanks, now I know

  8. #8
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
    never been charged duty on anything from PBK..
    Cool, I figure I should be safe after hearing the group's experience.

  9. #9
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepseahawk View Post
    Stuff gets checked randomly by customs, crap shoot coming from overseas. If your package gets checked you will be charged.
    Are you trying to put the whammy on me?

  10. #10
    Gr8 day 4 hill repeats JustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    here > X
    Posts
    976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beanzer, you know I use to run 4000s all the time, and usually bought through PBK because of the great price they typically offered the 4000 for. I stopped buying from PBK about 2 years ago for the following reasons.






    At one point, I contacted the US Conti rep. who suggested that a pair of tires I returned for warranty replacement had been stored for some excessively long period of time out doors exposed to the elements. I think there is a reason PBK makes Conti 4000s available at the price they do, and as an experienced QC person, you can probably guess. BTW, I stopped using Conti tires altogether about a year ago because the side walls abrade so easily, including the 4 Seasons which are promoted as a touring tire.
    "Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work." - Samuel L. Clemens 1908 letter

  11. #11
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Beanzer, you know I use to run 4000s all the time, and usually bought through PBK because of the great price they typically offered the 4000 for. I stopped buying from PBK about 2 years ago for the following reasons.
    Wow, I remember you had quite a few flats as well. . I'll have to keep a close eye on these tires. If it happens to me, I'm outta there.
    Thanks for the tip.

  12. #12
    jmX
    jmX is offline
    Senior Member jmX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Orange, CA
    My Bikes
    Roubaix / Shiv
    Posts
    2,139
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since a PBK order took 6-7 weeks to arrive I've not used them. The 2 previous orders showed up in 10 business days or less.

    Amazon.com often sells the tires for $44 to $50, and they on my door step within 48 hours.

  13. #13
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmX View Post
    Ever since a PBK order took 6-7 weeks to arrive I've not used them. The 2 previous orders showed up in 10 business days or less.

    Amazon.com often sells the tires for $44 to $50, and they on my door step within 48 hours.
    6-7 weeks? .....were they posted as "in stock" when you ordered? I see tires on back order at times. I wouldn't order if this were the case.

  14. #14
    jmX
    jmX is offline
    Senior Member jmX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Orange, CA
    My Bikes
    Roubaix / Shiv
    Posts
    2,139
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    6-7 weeks? .....were they posted as "in stock" when you ordered? I see tires on back order at times. I wouldn't order if this were the case.
    It wasn't PBK's fault, it's customs. Sometimes customs backs up. The tires shipped within a day or two.

    My results weren't extremely common, but during the customs backup a year or so ago there were quite a few people on this board who's PBK/Ribble packages were in limbo for a while.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Speed TR
    Posts
    942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It came through fine... last 2 orders came through in less than a week total. I had 2 orders... one with couple of Michelin pro 4 and some tubes, the other with a saddle. No customs on either.

  16. #16
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmX View Post
    It wasn't PBK's fault, it's customs. Sometimes customs backs up. The tires shipped within a day or two.

    My results weren't extremely common, but during the customs backup a year or so ago there were quite a few people on this board who's PBK/Ribble packages were in limbo for a while.


    Ah I see, thanks!

  17. #17
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bored117 View Post
    It came through fine... last 2 orders came through in less than a week total. I had 2 orders... one with couple of Michelin pro 4 and some tubes, the other with a saddle. No customs on either.

    Cool, I hope my order goes just as well.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been ordering from PBK for 4 years. Never had a problem.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to order from PBK all the time but i find that their prices have been steadily rising across the board. i almost exclusively order from ribble now. much cheaper, and even though you have to pay for shipping, its still pretty cheap and usually cheaper than pbk even with the shipping charges added. plus they ship fast, with tracking. more consistent delivery times IMHO. it goes via usps express... never been hit with a customs charge.

  20. #20
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
    Been ordering from PBK for 4 years. Never had a problem.
    Thanks, given me a little peace of mind for now.

  21. #21
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlife1975 View Post
    i used to order from PBK all the time but i find that their prices have been steadily rising across the board. i almost exclusively order from ribble now. much cheaper, and even though you have to pay for shipping, its still pretty cheap and usually cheaper than pbk even with the shipping charges added. plus they ship fast, with tracking. more consistent delivery times IMHO. it goes via usps express... never been hit with a customs charge.
    Yup, I was thinking about asking for Ribble reviews as well. Saved me the trouble. I thought about using them but haven't seen as many BF reviews on them vs PBK.

  22. #22
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, ordered late on a Fri nite so figuring the order wasn't placed till Monday, only a week and two days to show on my doorstep (Wed).

    Not bad, saved $73 by ordering on line.

    PBK out the door.....$89
    LBS $75 each plus tax.....$162

    I inspected the suckers, look pretty good, nothing old looking. Hopefully they last and ride as well as they look.


    tires by mrbeanz1, on Flickr

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    My Bikes
    Habanero 2009
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your questions were answered.

    I'll just add that I get my tires from PBK and nowhere else. Shipping time is a week to ten days.

  24. #24
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontrane View Post
    I think your questions were answered.

    I'll just add that I get my tires from PBK and nowhere else. Shipping time is a week to ten days.
    Yup! Happy it wasn't long at all. Especially planning ahead.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the 4000's last year at thirty something bucks per tire from PBK. The stock looked fine and I stored them until this week when I finally mounted them on the wheels. I really like these tires and the shipping was no big deal from the UK. Their prices on tires have definately gone up though. My local price is about $52 for the 25mm (includes a Club discount).
    [insert clever quote here]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •