Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County
    My Bikes
    2012 Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2012 OCTA Bike Festival (Sunday, April 29th - Huntington Beach Pier)

    OCTA (Orange County Transportation Authority) is hosting their 2nd Annual Bike Festival in Huntington Beach this year. (http://www.octa.net/Commuters/Bike/bikemonth.aspx)

    Huntington Beach Pier Plaza, Ride your bike to the festival and spend a day of fun in the sun. Learn about bike safety, receive a free inspection, win great prizes and get your bike ready for national bike month.


    It's no race or ride, but a place to see and meet other riders, advocates, engineers, etc., be counted, and show the prevalence and normalcy of bicycling. I would suggest, if you are so inclined, to go in baggies or casual clothes (not Lycra) to further support the "Real People Ride" campaign. Unless you're not a normal person, but instead a super hero, then by all means wear a cape and night vision goggles. (Does anyone have night vision goggles? How are they on the unlit class 1 bike facilities?

    Anyway -- show up, have fun, be counted!

  2. #2
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eepok View Post
    It's no race or ride, but a place to see and meet other riders, advocates, engineers, etc., be counted, and show the prevalence and normalcy of bicycling. I would suggest, if you are so inclined, to go in baggies or casual clothes (not Lycra) to further support the "Real People Ride" campaign. Unless you're not a normal person, but instead a super hero, then by all means wear a cape and night vision goggles. (Does anyone have night vision goggles? How are they on the unlit class 1 bike facilities?
    You judge whether people are "real people" based on their clothing?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County
    My Bikes
    2012 Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    You judge whether people are "real people" based on their clothing?
    Neither I nor campaign obviously doesn't seek to differentiate between fictional or factual people (to do so would be silly), nor does it seek to suggest that those who wear high-performance clothing to ride a bicycle are untrue to themselves in the philosophical sense. Instead, the "real-ness" refers to the pedestal on which non-athletes place the very common road cyclist. The athletic capabilities and confidence that road cyclists exude seem unreal to many new bike riders and the bike-curious. In fact, as someone who works in advocacy, I know that too many people are hesitant to begin riding a bike more than around the block on an odd weekend on a mild day in spring because they are intimidated by the most visible bicyclists in the area: the ones in Lycra training on the road on expensive bicycles. They think that if they're going to ride more than a couple miles, they need to be super fit and and wear form-fitting clothing.

    This campaign seeks to break the assumption, or even prejudice, that one must be super fit. It wants to show others that real, normal, non-athletes can ride for their health and transportation, save a couple bucks, and maybe do the environment some good.

    Here's Giant of Australia's advertisement within the same vein: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feOMTBxdZDg

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Speed TR
    Posts
    942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhmm... okay? Is the real people idea from OCTA or you? Pffft...

    The crowd that are afraid of riding are not because of the "lycra crad" warriors... (FYI, I see a LOT more commuters on Lycra than "normal clothes" around Irvine, CA which OCTA serves)...
    What's next? People would be afraid of swimming because of those speedo wearing swimmers that are superfit? They won't even go to beach?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County
    My Bikes
    2012 Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bored117 View Post
    Uhmm... okay? Is the real people idea from OCTA or you? Pffft...

    The crowd that are afraid of riding are not because of the "lycra crad" warriors... (FYI, I see a LOT more commuters on Lycra than "normal clothes" around Irvine, CA which OCTA serves)...
    What's next? People would be afraid of swimming because of those speedo wearing swimmers that are superfit? They won't even go to beach?
    It's actually kind of the national movement. Note the plain clothes on the people in the League of American Bicyclists' National Bike Month Guide. And yes, there are plenty of people who don't go to the pool or beach because they don't feel comfortable showing off their larger bodies in swimsuits. But I think you get the wrong impression from the campaign as did the first responder.

    I don't use the term "Lycra-clad warriors" or "weekend warriors" or "MAMIL" or anything of that sort (except in this description) because it implies some sort of issue with the rider... and there is no issue with the performance or sport rider. The hesitation isn't with other bicyclists that would be sharing the road or path, but with the assumed requirements of biking any significant distance. The idea isn't to exclude the performance-focused cyclist. It's to include and bring into the fold those who are less confident and whose bikes are rusting in the garage. It's in advocacy effort to increase the prevalence of bicycling. More bicyclists on the road = better legislative and funding attention = a better bike community for all.

    You understand the intent, right? People wish they could bike like this, but they're afraid they have to bike like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi eepok, thanks for letting us know about the event.

    I don't really post much on bikeforums anymore, but I still lurk and read threads. I went there this morning, stayed for about 30-45 minutes to check out the booths and meet with other bicycle riders before departing (I have other things to do today but wanted to stop by). One of the ladies at the OCTA booth was surprised when she asked me where I pedaled from. Yeah, well Garden Grove's only about 15 miles away. It's a 30 mile round trip for me

    I was surprised at the variety of riders there. I was not expecting to see other guys on touring bikes, for one thing. If anyone's wondering, I was the guy in a red shirt with the tan-colored Surly Long Haul Trucker with 26" wheels and a Brooks saddle.

  7. #7
    Grammar Cop Condorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Papa Smurf's Lair
    My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where in Garden Grove do you live that the ride was that long? I rode from Broadway and Dale in Anaheim, down Dale to GG Blvd, to Newhope to McFadden to Beach to Main, then returned via Main, Beach, and Orange, and only managed a bit over 27.

    That included a stop at the HB Jax store to spend the $10 gift card I won on the spinner thingy. I picked up another 24-oz Polar bottle, since I couldn't find anything else of interest.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, my mistake. I was going off the route that I normally take. Actually, more like 13-ish miles one-way. So 26-ish miles round-trip. Took a different route today than I used to take, so it's a little shorter. I went down Bushard to Brookhurst, crossed PCH and then used the beach bike trail to get to the pier. Then I remembered that I had to go up the stairs to get to the event! D'oh!

    I'm going off of the mileage calculated using Google maps because I don't use a cycling computer. So that might play a part in the mileage estimate? I just do an "out-and-back" instead of a loop for most of my rides, so I calculate my total mileage by doubling the one-way distance.

    Normally I head to Mile Square Park (3 miles from home) and take Warner to get on the Santa Ana River Trail (another 2.3 miles) and head south to the end, then take the beach bike path to the pier. I decided not to go that way today. I don't like riding the SART on weekends because there's too much pedestrian and bike rider traffic mixed in together. When I take the SART route, it's about 14.6 miles one-way. I think I rounded it up to 15 because I included riding into Main Street from there.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_bike_nut View Post
    Oops, my mistake. I was going off the route that I normally take. Actually, more like 13-ish miles one-way. So 26-ish miles round-trip. Took a different route today than I used to take, so it's a little shorter. I went down Bushard to Brookhurst, crossed PCH and then used the beach bike trail to get to the pier. Then I remembered that I had to go up the stairs to get to the event! D'oh!

    I'm going off of the mileage calculated using Google maps because I don't use a cycling computer. So that might play a part in the mileage estimate? I just do an "out-and-back" instead of a loop for most of my rides, so I calculate my total mileage by doubling the one-way distance.

    Normally I head to Mile Square Park (3 miles from home) and take Warner to get on the Santa Ana River Trail (another 2.3 miles) and head south to the end, then take the beach bike path to the pier. I decided not to go that way today. I don't like riding the SART on weekends because there's too much pedestrian and bike rider traffic mixed in together. When I take the SART route, it's about 14.6 miles one-way. I think I rounded it up to 15 because I included riding into Main Street from there.
    I was going to stop by the event also, but I had work this morning so I was unable to attend. I live in Garden Grove, and its about 15 miles from my house to the pier. I usually go from Harbor to Brookhurst then ride down to Westminster and hop on Bushard from there and go straight to PCH. I prefer riding down Bushard becuase I think its quite a nice street, especially when cycling. Im not too fond of the SART, especially on the weekends, like you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
    As hobbies go, you might be better off taking up sitting in a padded room.
    77 Schwinn Le Tour II Pearl Orange
    89 Trek 1200 White w/ Mint Decals
    88 Trek 660 White w/ Red Decals (Build in Progress)
    88 Centurion Ironman Master Marbled Grey (Build in Progress) (Super excited!!!)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County
    My Bikes
    2012 Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_bike_nut View Post
    Hi eepok, thanks for letting us know about the event.

    I don't really post much on bikeforums anymore, but I still lurk and read threads. I went there this morning, stayed for about 30-45 minutes to check out the booths and meet with other bicycle riders before departing (I have other things to do today but wanted to stop by). One of the ladies at the OCTA booth was surprised when she asked me where I pedaled from. Yeah, well Garden Grove's only about 15 miles away. It's a 30 mile round trip for me

    I was surprised at the variety of riders there. I was not expecting to see other guys on touring bikes, for one thing. If anyone's wondering, I was the guy in a red shirt with the tan-colored Surly Long Haul Trucker with 26" wheels and a Brooks saddle.
    You had the great dynamo light setup, right? I was in a high-vis vest on a brown hybrid and red panniers.
    Last edited by eepok; 04-29-12 at 11:27 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, so that was you! Yeah, I remember seeing a brown bike with red panniers and the guy riding it in. You were definitely hard to miss with that bright vest

    My light set-up at the moment is actually kind of crappy, all battery powered. Maybe you noticed one of the two Novara Safari bikes that mine was parked next to. They had great light setups and one of them had a Surly Nice Rack in front.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •