In San Diego for a week in July - looking for some good rides from downtown
I'll be in San Diego for a conference in July and am considering renting a bike while down there to get a few hours of training in before the conference starts.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a few hour ride that could potentially include some hills?
I'll have approx. 2-3 hrs each morning before I'd have to be back.
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
There are some good options depending on you pace. you can head south toward Bonita and hit Otay lakes. I think it might be a bit of s stretch for three hours.
You can head north on PCH and then west on Rosecrans and go to Cabrillo Monument or toward OB
For a shorter ride you can head for Balboa park and loop around morley field and the park
Originally Posted by adam
Check the following web sites for ride info. You can find a few North County rides on my site (you can just ride parts) www.radfondo.com. There are quite a few group rides you can join if you want.
Let me know if this helps or if you need more info.
I live downtown and ride almost every day 30 - 70 mile rides. Give me some details about what kind of ride you want to do - or PM me and I'll get back to you. things to consider
- hills (short, steep, long, gradual)
- how much elevation change do you want
- bike path
- do you want to see the ocean / mountains / beach
- do you want to take the excellent trolley system out of town (e.g. it is a 50 minute trolley ride to El Cajon where you can start a fantastic 66 mile loop thru the mountains with about 4000' climbing)
- do you want to take the Coaster (railroad) north to one of the great beach towns and ride back to downtown
- do want to ride really smooth or do you mind some rougher pavement
- do you mind riding thru some interesting but sketching neighborhoods
- do you want to see Balboa Park