Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Certifiably crazy! Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Felt Z5, Felt Edict Nine
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    East County San Diego bike rides?

    Hey all, I recently moved to East County San Diego, and would like some suggestions for bike rides/routes. I used to live in Pacific Beach, and usually ventured into North County for my rides.

    I explored Lake Murray this morning, but wasn't sure where to go.

    Any East County shop rides?

    Thanks,
    Carlos
    2011 Felt Z5
    2012 Felt Nine Race, 2013 Felt Edict Nine

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not very familiar with East County, but, generally speaking, you don't have a lot of choice, there are basically no through bike-friendly roads between Alpine and Ramona, and only a few south of the 8. There is a fairly popular clockwise loop via Dehesa Road, Lyons Valley Road and Skyline Truck Trail. The counterclockwise version is less popular, mainly, I think, because it has a couple of long 8-9% stretches. If you want more mileage, you can get from there to highway 79 and onwards to Cuyamaca or Laguna.

  3. #3
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,633
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a club called Major Taylor bike club that rides out of Bonita.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  4. #4
    Float, HAMMER, jog markg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Soloist Team, Cervelo P3C, unnamed Cross Commuter
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek La Mesa has a shop ride. Great Western Loop http://www.themappything.com/club/90-great-western.html is a very popular east county route. I have friends that do their hill repeat workouts on Mt Helix (Alta Dr).

  5. #5
    #5639 robertkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    I'm not very familiar with East County, but, generally speaking, you don't have a lot of choice, there are basically no through bike-friendly roads between Alpine and Ramona, and only a few south of the 8.
    Wrong. There is a massive amount of cycling to be done out east. I large portion of our local brevets happen out there. Old Highway 80 is nice ride to get out there. Lyons Valley, Honey Springs, Otay Lakes. If you go north up to Ramona, then head out east via Old Julian Highway to Santa Ysabel. Hwy 67 out of Ramona is plenty bike friendly with a nice shoulder. Down into Lakeside, it's a quick jog through town to hit Old 80. I could go on. Just depends on what you are looking for. It's true that if you are a city cyclist or prefer something more urban and few miles between services, and perfect roads with bike lanes and big shoulders, east county has none of that. But if you're looking for some of the best cycling in San Diego, it's all out there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robertkat View Post
    Wrong. There is a massive amount of cycling to be done out east. I large portion of our local brevets happen out there. Old Highway 80 is nice ride to get out there. Lyons Valley, Honey Springs, Otay Lakes. If you go north up to Ramona, then head out east via Old Julian Highway to Santa Ysabel. Hwy 67 out of Ramona is plenty bike friendly with a nice shoulder. Down into Lakeside, it's a quick jog through town to hit Old 80. I could go on. Just depends on what you are looking for. It's true that if you are a city cyclist or prefer something more urban and few miles between services, and perfect roads with bike lanes and big shoulders, east county has none of that. But if you're looking for some of the best cycling in San Diego, it's all out there.
    Actually I was just on Old Julian Highway this Saturday. Rode Highland Valley Road -> 67 -> Old Julian Highway to the junction with 78 and back, 60 miles without seeing a single other cyclist. But I don't think of Ramona as East County. I was talking about the areas along the 8 and further south.

  7. #7
    Float, HAMMER, jog markg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Soloist Team, Cervelo P3C, unnamed Cross Commuter
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately Barona Casino ruined one of the best rides in East County - Wildcat Canyon. That used to be THE way to get to Ramona and parts east. However the crazy casino traffic on a narrow 2 lane road have turned it into an "avoid at all costs" road :-(

  8. #8
    lead on macduff!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    south park-san diego, ca
    My Bikes
    2002 Coppi KSC Plane-1986 Masi 3Volumetrica-1985 Pinarello Treviso
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    robertkat is correct...there is a ton of east county cycling south of the riverside/sd county line to the mexican border and nearly all of it is challenging. not that many flat stretches to be had (until you hit anza-borrego state park) and east county gets pretty hot out there this time of year. either go real early or seek out the higher elevations of the laguna, cuyamaca & palomar mtns. biggest difficulty besides the heat (may-oct) and challenging terrain is support. stores out there are pretty spread out so make sure you have all the tools/food/drink you need. all the makings of epic rides are out there!

  9. #9
    Senior Member heresy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santee, CA
    My Bikes
    Orbea Orca SLT, Orbea Mitis, Specialized Allez SE
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Trek La Mesa has a shop ride. Great Western Loop http://www.themappything.com/club/90-great-western.html is a very popular east county route. I have friends that do their hill repeat workouts on Mt Helix (Alta Dr).
    I ride this route, but I stay on Lyons Valley instead of turning on Skyline Truck Trail.
    "Fizzy Yellow Beer is for Wussies"
    -Stone Brewing Co.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •