Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-12, 09:32 AM   #1
Jan Feetz
de oranje
Thread Starter
 
Jan Feetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Almelo
Bikes: ItalVega Casati Coppi
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bicyclist killed again....

http://www.ocregister.com/news/bicyc...rt-struck.html
Jan Feetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 09:55 AM   #2
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,237
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Those MUPS are especially dangerous where they cross streets. Tragic. I ride near there plenty on Bastunchary (typically on the other side of Harbor).

I'm glad they're so interested in determining whether he was wearing a helmet - he could have worn 42 helmets and it wouldn't have protected him from a hit that hard.
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 10:13 AM   #3
Jan Feetz
de oranje
Thread Starter
 
Jan Feetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Almelo
Bikes: ItalVega Casati Coppi
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What boggles my mind are the reader comments. People in general seem so anti bike.
Jan Feetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 10:52 AM   #4
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
The article said he was crossing north at Morelia. I wonder if he came out of this trail, against the light? If the cars were approaching the light just as it turned green, I can see how the cyclist thought he could beat the cross traffic and thought wrong. It looks like someone coming out of the trail couldn't see the traffic lights.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 12:41 PM   #5
HBxRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jesus...all these recent cyclists deaths are happening in areas that I ride in. I feel like every time I return home safe from a ride, that I cheated death.

Yeah, any comments on the internet on cyclist death news story are consistently ignorant and hateful. This comment is just classic:

"
Car vs Bike = splat! This isn't an issue of speed people. When a biker rides with traffic he knows the risk. I'm with James I ride on bike trails and sidewalks only. I don't wear the fairy gay clothes and have a multi thousand dollar bike. Then again, I'm smarter than most and wouldn't waste my money on such things."
HBxRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 12:49 PM   #6
cdp8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has been a deadly seven days in SoCal. Seven riders have died, including three hit and runs. One died after a tire blew out on a fast descent.

http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/

Be careful out there...

Last edited by cdp8; 07-12-12 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
cdp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 12:50 PM   #7
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
very sad. anytime you travel perpendicular to traffic it becomes much more dangerous.
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 12:57 PM   #8
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,237
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
The comments are indeed shocking and ignorant...

They live among us.
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:21 PM   #9
Surfer34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think its time for federal hate crime laws to include cyclists.
Surfer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:28 PM   #10
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
That would make the A&S crowd howl with protest.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:30 PM   #11
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
why? we are targeted victims. maybe not in this case but lot's of us get buzzed or worse
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:58 PM   #12
cdp8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer34 View Post
I think its time for federal hate crime laws to include cyclists.
I'd settle for Brown's signature on a 3ft rule. Then I'd volunteer with the local PD to put go pros front and rear and ride in a sting operation. With depleted city coffers everywhere, I bet few departments would take me up on the offer.
cdp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 02:12 PM   #13
zenout
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBxRider View Post
Jesus...all these recent cyclists deaths are happening in areas that I ride in. I feel like every time I return home safe from a ride, that I cheated death.

Yeah, any comments on the internet on cyclist death news story are consistently ignorant and hateful. This comment is just classic:

"
Car vs Bike = splat! This isn't an issue of speed people. When a biker rides with traffic he knows the risk. I'm with James I ride on bike trails and sidewalks only. I don't wear the fairy gay clothes and have a multi thousand dollar bike. Then again, I'm smarter than most and wouldn't waste my money on such things."
I wear the fairy clothes, i have the expensive bike and i like it that way!As far as wasting money?You only live once so treat yourself like a king every second of every day!Money does not run me i run money.Im simply not cheap.Every dime i make goes to take care of the wife and kids and dogs and some charity,so the bike thing is the only indulgence for me.
zenout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 02:26 PM   #14
calamarichris
Horse Categorie
 
calamarichris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), 94 Greg Lemond, 99 GT Pulse Kinesis for Track
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
The comments are indeed shocking and ignorant...

They live among us.
Not really. These internet personas would never say such things in front of other people.

Why read these comments?! It's like reading the A&S forum, only the opposite (but equally insane) side of the spectrum.
calamarichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 02:30 PM   #15
Surfer34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp8 View Post
I'd settle for Brown's signature on a 3ft rule. Then I'd volunteer with the local PD to put go pros front and rear and ride in a sting operation. With depleted city coffers everywhere, I bet few departments would take me up on the offer.
A police sting isnt a bad idea. If a CA police agency smells revenue then they'll do it.
Surfer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 02:32 PM   #16
Surfer34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
Not really. These internet personas would never say such things in front of other people.
I was at a party last year and I mentioned that I had a bike race in the morning. Two people started talking about how they hated cyclists so much that when the drove on the street they would brush them on purpose.

These were 30-40 yr old college graduate lawyers and other good job people.
Surfer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 02:37 PM   #17
cdp8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer34 View Post
I was at a party last year and I mentioned that I had a bike race in the morning. Two people started talking about how they hated cyclists so much that when the drove on the street they would brush them on purpose.

These were 30-40 yr old college graduate lawyers and other good job people.
I wonder if they hate all other motorists, because on occasion, they see another motorist run a red light? I hope you brushed by them later on at the party and caused them to spill their white zinfandel all over themselves.
cdp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 02:52 PM   #18
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp8 View Post
I wonder if they hate all other motorists, because on occasion, they see another motorist run a red light? I hope you brushed by them later on at the party and caused them to spill their white zinfandel all over themselves.
Oh hell no. Cabernet stains better.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 03:16 PM   #19
jmX
Senior Member
 
jmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer34 View Post
I was at a party last year and I mentioned that I had a bike race in the morning. Two people started talking about how they hated cyclists so much that when the drove on the street they would brush them on purpose.

These were 30-40 yr old college graduate lawyers and other good job people.
First, those people suck.

Second, tons of cyclists ride like ******bags, and collectively our group has earned some of the hatred. Fixing this might go a long way towards having the general public back on our side rather than being disinterested or even happy when a cyclist is taken down. Of course, this is impossible, and my guess is the publics perception will not change any time soon.
jmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 03:40 PM   #20
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
why? we are targeted victims. maybe not in this case but lot's of us get buzzed or worse
Yeah, but the VCers would object to bikes being treated any different than any other vehicle.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 04:02 PM   #21
Surfer34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmX View Post
First, those people suck.

Second, tons of cyclists ride like ******bags, and collectively our group has earned some of the hatred. .
I disagree with that logic. Thats like saying "some black people are criminals therefore the whole race has earned the reputation of being criminals"
Surfer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 06:16 PM   #22
jmX
Senior Member
 
jmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer34 View Post
I disagree with that logic. Thats like saying "some black people are criminals therefore the whole race has earned the reputation of being criminals"
Uh, so are you saying there is no truth to that? If you are, I'm not sure we live in the same country.
jmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 06:25 PM   #23
calamarichris
Horse Categorie
 
calamarichris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), 94 Greg Lemond, 99 GT Pulse Kinesis for Track
Posts: 5,863
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer34 View Post
I disagree with that logic. Thats like saying "some black people are criminals therefore the whole race has earned the reputation of being criminals"
And I disagree with your logic. That's like saying, "If you disagree with me, then you must be a racist because I've stretched this analogy to compare us to a race."

Face it, there are really inconsiderate, lazy, recklessly self-righteous, and combative cyclists out there who give us all a bad name. Motorists are frequently shocked at my actually stopping at stop signs and obeying the law.
calamarichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 07:51 PM   #24
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,237
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
A Motorists are frequently shocked at my actually stopping at stop signs and obeying the law.
Stop shocking motorists - you're giving all of us a bad name.
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 AM.