Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-12, 03:20 AM   #1
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Bikes:
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Central Coast Ride Report 7/29

Just got back from a great trip to Templeton with visits to Paso Robles and Atascadero. I'd only ridden the coastal side of the area before (Cambria/San Simeon). I had no idea how hilly this place was. Basically, you're in the hills the whole time, so be prepared for some climbing. The scenery is incredible, so that helps lessen the pain. The main hwy. that slices through the valley is Hwy. 46, a beautiful stretch of rollies mixed with steeper climbs and descents. The bike lane is wide and the car traffic, while fast moving, is not too heavy. There's an epic looking steep 5 mile climb on 46 if you come from Hwy. 1 (part of a longer climb and drop section that is about 9 miles total before it backs off into Templeton). I want to try stretch that next trip. I saw riders going up it and it seems relentless even driving it in a car.

I got in two rides over four days (Strava routes below). With all the climbing, one has to just accept getting lower than usual average speeds. The roads are narrow at times with no bike lanes but traffic is light and I think cars are used to dealing with bikes there. All gave me wide berth as they passed and I got no horn blowing or finger salutes while there. I have to give top billing to Peachy Canyon Road as it's got pristine asphalt (other roads may have typical country wear on them), low car traffic and epic climbs and descent. The scenery along it and just about anywhere there is sweet--sage scrub, huge oaks, walnut orchards or vineyards. I can't wait to get up there again.

Day One
http://app.strava.com/rides/14707251

Day Two
http://app.strava.com/rides/14914151

Need directions? Shadow Canyon


Base Camp


The west end of Peachy Canyon


Walnut trees halfway down Peachy Canyon


Gobble-Gobble! Wild turkeys along Willow Creek Road
bikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 09:54 AM   #2
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker
 
ZippyThePinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Orange County, in Southern California
Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice. Our family usually goes to the central coast each year for a week or so, but not this year. I rode around Morro Bay last year on one such trip. It was very enjoyable. Sorry, no Strava map/data.
ZippyThePinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 09:54 AM   #3
volosong 
Senior Member
 
volosong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a beautiful area. If I were to retire in California, the central coast is where I'd want to be. Problem is that 20,000,000 other retirees want to go there too. Thanks for the report and pix.
__________________
Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 10:52 AM   #4
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Posts: 5,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeme View Post
There's an epic looking steep 5 mile climb on 46 if you come from Hwy. 1 (part of a longer climb and drop section that is about 9 miles total before it backs off into Templeton). I want to try stretch that next trip. I saw riders going up it and it seems relentless even driving it in a car.
That stretch from Highway 1 at Cambria up the hwy 46 is taxing. Go early and bring extra drink and some gels. at templeton there's a Trader Joe's and you can go there to get some fruit and drinks. If you ride back down to Cambria, stop by the Sea Chest Seafood Restaurant

http://www.seachestrestaurant.com/contact.htm
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 11:34 AM   #5
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Bikes:
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
That stretch from Highway 1 at Cambria up the hwy 46 is taxing. Go early and bring extra drink and some gels. at templeton there's a Trader Joe's and you can go there to get some fruit and drinks. If you ride back down to Cambria, stop by the Sea Chest Seafood Restaurant

http://www.seachestrestaurant.com/contact.htm
Thanks for the tips. My friend reco'd Sea Chest too. Have to try it next trip up.
bikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 11:40 AM   #6
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Bikes:
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead View Post
Very nice. Our family usually goes to the central coast each year for a week or so, but not this year. I rode around Morro Bay last year on one such trip. It was very enjoyable. Sorry, no Strava map/data.
Nice MB info, thanks. I did a ride back in 1991 that went from MB up Hwy 1 to Old Creek in Cayucos into the hills and then over to Santa Rosa Canyon and down into the back of Cambria. I returned via Hwy 1. That was a stellar ride, lots of climbing and great scenery.
bikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 03:58 PM   #7
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker
 
ZippyThePinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Orange County, in Southern California
Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There was another rider-- maybe Calamarichris (?)-- who posted regarding some nice climbing rides around Los Osos. I only did a little climbing when I was there, but I really enjoyed myself, just the same.
ZippyThePinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 04:15 PM   #8
calamarichris
Unobtanium-Based Lifeform
 
calamarichris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
Posts: 5,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Adelaide, Vineyard & Peachy Canyon Roads are wonderful, wonderful places to ride. I love Paso Robles!--heh heh, I saw this one guy at a tasting room in Paso wearing a T-shirt that said, "NAPA IS FOR AUTO PARTS."
Last time I did some tasting there, I was bicycling down the winding hill on Peachy Canyon Road with a belly full of wine, and suddenly the road was full of those dang turkeys! I whistled and shouted, but the dumb birds just stood there looking at me. I barely stopped in time, and considered how ridiculous that would look in my obituary: "Cause of death: turkeys".

I also take motorcycle trips up there too. This is just about a half-mile North of the Norman Winery up there.


Thanks for the ride report! That's going to be one of the first places I take my sweetheart after she passes her board.
SLO is also an awesome town to be on two wheels.

Morro Bay:


Prefumo Canyon, just west of SLO. Steep yes, but spectacular



It's a pretty nice change from the coastal deserts of SoCal.
calamarichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 08:57 PM   #9
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Bikes:
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
Adelaide, Vineyard & Peachy Canyon Roads are wonderful, wonderful places to ride. I love Paso Robles!--heh heh, I saw this one guy at a tasting room in Paso wearing a T-shirt that said, "NAPA IS FOR AUTO PARTS."
Last time I did some tasting there, I was bicycling down the winding hill on Peachy Canyon Road with a belly full of wine, and suddenly the road was full of those dang turkeys! I whistled and shouted, but the dumb birds just stood there looking at me. I barely stopped in time, and considered how ridiculous that would look in my obituary: "Cause of death: turkeys".

I also take motorcycle trips up there too. This is just about a half-mile North of the Norman Winery up there.


Thanks for the ride report! That's going to be one of the first places I take my sweetheart after she passes her board.
SLO is also an awesome town to be on two wheels.

Morro Bay:


Prefumo Canyon, just west of SLO. Steep yes, but spectacular



It's a pretty nice change from the coastal deserts of SoCal.
Thanks for chiming in, Chris! Great info. We're headed back up in October--woo-hoo!
bikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 PM.