Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-13, 07:23 PM   #1
Genaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Genaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rosena Ranch, Ca.
Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 Lakes ride

I have a map in my office, and I keep staring and contemplating about this ride that would take me around Lake Mathews, Lake Skinner, Lake Elsinore, and Lake Elsinore. Do not know anything about the roads that I would take, but will need to get it out of my system before summer June. Anyone frequent any of these roads ?
Cajalco Road
Ramon Expy
Benton Road
Del Portola Road
Winchester Road
La Sierra Ave
El Sobrante Rd
Hansen
Juniper Flats Just to name a few

Last edited by Genaro; 03-11-13 at 07:31 PM.
Genaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-13, 07:33 PM   #2
indomikey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes: Windsor Fens
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genaro View Post
I have a map in my office, and I keep staring and contemplating about this ride that would take me around Lake Mathews, Lake Skinner, Lake Elsinore, and Lake Elsinore. Do not know anything about the roads that I would take, but will need to get it out of my system before summer June. Anyone frequent any of these roads ?
You said Lake Elsinore twice.

I've done Lake Matthews starting in Corona.

http://app.strava.com/activities/36040293

I wouldn't recommend doing that hill I did near Lake Matthews if you plan on doing a longer ride, its a leg sapper
indomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-13, 07:54 PM   #3
hamster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Escondido, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you mean Mathews, Skinner, Elsinore and Perris? (And it should be 5, since Diamond Valley Lake is in the way and hard to avoid.)

I don't know much, except that I've been at campgrounds on Elsinore and Perris. Lake Elsinore area is sketchy, there are lots of cars and not enough bike lanes. Also, June would be the absolute latest to do this, or it will get really hot.

Don't go on Ramona Expressway, it's basically a freeway. Cajalco does not look too good either. In fact, I'd swing north of the lakes and try to make my way to Gilman Springs Road on smaller streets.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-13, 11:37 PM   #4
robertkat
#5639
 
robertkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
De Portola is a wonderful road, but there are a couple jogs to get around some unfinished dirt sections that are not worth it unless you're on a full squish 29er downhill rig. Riding around Lake Elsinore is just awful. I do it a couple times a year because of brevets. Heading south to Murrieta on the west side of the lake is interesting. No shoulder, sub-standard lane width, and the road is always dirty. Bonus hard man points if you do it at night by yourself. I swear you can hear banjos playing in the background.
robertkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 07:58 AM   #5
Genaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Genaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rosena Ranch, Ca.
Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkat View Post
De Portola is a wonderful road, but there are a couple jogs to get around some unfinished dirt sections that are not worth it unless you're on a full squish 29er downhill rig. Riding around Lake Elsinore is just awful. I do it a couple times a year because of brevets. Heading south to Murrieta on the west side of the lake is interesting. No shoulder, sub-standard lane width, and the road is always dirty. Bonus hard man points if you do it at night by yourself. I swear you can hear banjos playing in the background.
Oh yeah, I meant lake perris. Man, the responses are making me lose interest in this ride real fast. Maybe I'll plan something further east soon
Genaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 08:13 AM   #6
TJClay
Senior Member
 
TJClay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca.
Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
check out the Hemet Double and Single century, it covers alot of those areas
TJClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 08:38 AM   #7
Genaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Genaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rosena Ranch, Ca.
Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJClay View Post
check out the Hemet Double and Single century, it covers alot of those areas
Will do. Sounds like a good way to get to know the areas..
Genaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 08:52 AM   #8
Genaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Genaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rosena Ranch, Ca.
Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TJCLAY!!!!! Thanks bro! This is perfect. Its in April and only $45

http://www.inlandempirecycling.com/H...met_header.htm

Will only do the Century and maybe a good 1st double for next year.

Anyone else itnerested in doing it ?
Genaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 08:58 AM   #9
Lesper4
Senior Member
 
Lesper4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: So Cal - Fontana
Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am doing the double this year as long as I make it though Solvang in two weeks.
Lesper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 09:38 AM   #10
Genaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Genaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rosena Ranch, Ca.
Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesper4 View Post
I am doing the double this year as long as I make it though Solvang in two weeks.
Cool, let me know what time you start. And good l uck on Solvang
Genaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 PM.