Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,886
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Irvine Spectrum to Verizon Amphitheater under 405?

    I often ride from Irvine civic center to South Orange County. A frequent route is the SD Creek trail to Irvine Spectrum, then Irvine Center Dr over the 405. I was told that there is an alternate route under the 405 that requires a little bushwhacking, but is passable. I checked the satellite image of the area, and see where it should be. I suspect the image is out of date, since the route described is kind of iffy.

    The alternate should start where the route here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2256598 ends, according to the guys description. Has anyone done this?
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right. Where your route ends, make a left and you should see a very rough path. Follow it down and to the left, and it will lead you underneath the 405. Watch for lots of broken glass under the freeway. After passing underneath the freeway, you'll come to a chainlink fence blocking the path. Just walk your bike around it to the right. Then you may proceed towards Irvine Center Drive. As of today, there are unfinished manhole covers so keep your eyes open lest you destroy both wheels rolling over them at speed.


    You may bypass this entire area by using the newly completed Lake Forest Road. It connects CA133 to Laguna Hills. So from Irvine Civic center (assuming you are coming from Alton or Barannca) you would go right on Laguna Canyon (pass over the freeway and traffic circle), then cross CA133 into Laguna Altura. Laguna Altura will lead you to Lake Forest Road where you will make a left. This gets you into Laguna Hills, and will lead you to Moulton, etc.
    Last edited by idoru2005; 03-21-13 at 02:45 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,886
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idoru2005 View Post
    As of today, there are unfinished manhole covers so keep your eyes open lest you destroy both wheels rolling over them at speed.
    Would probably do a number on "the junk" too.

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by idoru2005 View Post
    You may bypass this entire area by using the newly completed Lake Forest Road. It connects CA133 to Laguna Hills. So from Irvine Civic center (assuming you are coming from Alton or Barannca) you would go right on Laguna Canyon (pass over the freeway and traffic circle), then cross CA133 into Laguna Altura. Laguna Altura will lead you to Lake Forest Road where you will make a left. This gets you into Laguna Hills, and will lead you to Moulton, etc.
    In other words, http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2256598 . The Auto-Draw would not recognize Lake Forest, its that new.
    Last edited by CommuteCommando; 03-21-13 at 03:12 PM.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  4. #4
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,886
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found it. Thanks.

    http://app.strava.com/activities/45360600

    Didn't see any open manholes. Musta fixed em since you were through. Considered taking Laguna Cyn, but decided to stick to plan. Will try it later.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    Found it. Thanks.

    http://app.strava.com/activities/45360600

    Didn't see any open manholes. Musta fixed em since you were through. Considered taking Laguna Cyn, but decided to stick to plan. Will try it later.

    Yep, those appear to have been finished yesterday! I just wish they'd open that chainlink fence and sweep the underpass of glass. I finally flatted today after having ridden through that glass for the past two weeks..

  6. #6
    Bicycle Rights MattCycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long has this path under the 405 been open? Is it even open? I tried maybe a year ago to explore the area after the 405 to the Verizon Amphitheater and the gate was there and while passable, was obviously not ideal for a road bike and would qualify as trespassing (not that I am above that). If it is legit does anyone know if Irvine Company/Irvine is going to incorporate it with the new housing developments to the left and right of the creek/wash?

  7. #7
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,886
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCycle View Post
    How long has this path under the 405 been open? Is it even open? I tried maybe a year ago to explore the area after the 405 to the Verizon Amphitheater and the gate was there and while passable, was obviously not ideal for a road bike and would qualify as trespassing (not that I am above that). If it is legit does anyone know if Irvine Company/Irvine is going to incorporate it with the new housing developments to the left and right of the creek/wash?
    There is brand new smooth asphalt MUP from the gate to Research Dr, which crosses Irvine Center. I think that the only reason the gate is still there is that the apartments between the creek and ICD are still under construction (about 75% complete) The path is part of the green strip that is part of that development.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •