Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    LBS Professional Fitting

    I'm living in LA and will be purchasing a new (to me) road bike soon, most likely on craigslist or ebay. Where can I take it to get a fitting done?

    I've called around a little bit and so far Rolling Cowboys and I Martin Bicycles seem to offer it for ~$100. Can anyone recommend a good service to price ratio?

  2. #2
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,633
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nate Loyal in Santa Monica is the gold standard, look him up. I believe he operates out of one of the Helen's Cyclery shops. (burbank?)

  3. #3
    Spit out the back tinrobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Silverlake, CA
    Posts
    1,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Nate Loyal in Santa Monica is the gold standard, look him up. I believe he operates out of one of the Helen's Cyclery shops. (burbank?)
    Helen's in Santa Monica.

    He's a very good fitter, but I didn't think he was so much better to be worth the premium he charges (I think I paid around $150 for a fitting a few years ago...) You could spend $75-100 and get the same fit elsewhere.

  4. #4
    Despite all my rage, I am rooftest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    2,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Nate Loyal
    I'll second Nate.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    My Bikes
    2012 BMC SLR01, 2012 Yeti ASR5, 2013 Trek Crockett
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently fit by Jim Manton at ero sports. He works out of the velodrome at the home depot center. He does retul fits, so they are a little more expensive than the standard fit you get at most bike shops, but well worth the money.

    Ive previously had a specialized BG fit, and thought it was good, but I liked my retul fit even more.

  6. #6
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,633
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xjustice09x View Post
    Ive previously had a specialized BG fit, and thought it was good, but I liked my retul fit even more.
    Can you expand on what you liked more about it, or what you didn't like about the BG fit? Did you do the power analysis BG fit or just the regular one?

    I'm always curious - thanks.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    My Bikes
    2012 BMC SLR01, 2012 Yeti ASR5, 2013 Trek Crockett
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Can you expand on what you liked more about it, or what you didn't like about the BG fit? Did you do the power analysis BG fit or just the regular one?

    I'm always curious - thanks.
    Both my BG fit and retul fit had power analysis using a computrainer. The power analysis isnt that important to me though. With my retul fit I didn't need to see the power numbers to know I was in a better position. It just felt easier to pedal, and my cadence would increase. I didnt change gears, and the resistance from the trainer stayed the same.

    I think the retul sensors are more accurate than the video capture from the BG fit. For the BG fit I could tell from the video that my knee was tracking straighter than before the fitting, but with the retul fit it actually tracked the whole path my knee moved. It drew a picture of the path and would measure how many degrees away from center my knee moved. As changes are made to my position I had quantifiable data to look at and see how things changed. As an engineer I like data. The retul fit gave me more data.

    The BG fit did address some of the issues I did have. I learned my left leg is slightly longer than my right. So I now have a shim under my right cleat to even things out. I left with 2 varus wedges under my insole. It turns out that was too much, and caused some toe numbness in my right foot. When I went in for my retul fitting I learned that my specialized s works shoes already have some varus built into the sole, and I didnt need the wedges. Without the varus wedges I no longer have toe numbness. I do use a varus wedge in my mountain bike shoes though since they are more neutral.

    The retul system also gave me more accurate measurements of my bike after changes were made.

    I think my BG fit was worth the money, and put me in a better position than in was before I had it. Personally I had a better experience with my retul fit from Jim. He was very knowledgeable, and explained why we were making certain changes, and why certain things worked for me. I learned alot from the fitting session. It also doesnt hurt that it was slightly cheaper than my BG fit was.

    The BG fitting system and retul are just tools for a fitter to use to put someone in the position that is right for them. Either of them can be used to get great results. I think the more important thing is the fitter doing the fitting.
    Last edited by xjustice09x; 04-01-13 at 11:43 PM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    626 baldwin park
    My Bikes
    2002 trek usps
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xjustice09x View Post
    Both my BG fit and retul fit had power analysis using a computrainer. The power analysis isnt that important to me though. With my retul fit I didn't need to see the power numbers to know I was in a better position. It just felt easier to pedal, and my cadence would increase. I didnt change gears, and the resistance from the trainer stayed the same.

    I think the retul sensors are more accurate than the video capture from the BG fit. For the BG fit I could tell from the video that my knee was tracking straighter than before the fitting, but with the retul fit it actually tracked the whole path my knee moved. It drew a picture of the path and would measure how many degrees away from center my knee moved. As changes are made to my position I had quantifiable data to look at and see how things changed. As an engineer I like data. The retul fit gave me more data.

    The BG fit did address some of the issues I did have. I learned my left leg is slightly longer than my right. So I now have a shim under my right cleat to even things out. I left with 2 varus wedges under my insole. It turns out that was too much, and caused some toe numbness in my right foot. When I went in for my retul fitting I learned that my specialized s works shoes already have some varus built into the sole, and I didnt need the wedges. Without the varus wedges I no longer have toe numbness. I do use a varus wedge in my mountain bike shoes though since they are more neutral.

    The retul system also gave me more accurate measurements of my bike after changes were made.

    I think my BG fit was worth the money, and put me in a better position than in was before I had it. Personally I had a better experience with my retul fit from Jim. He was very knowledgeable, and explained why we were making certain changes, and why certain things worked for me. I learned alot from the fitting session. It also doesnt hurt that it was slightly cheaper than my BG fit was.

    The BG fitting system and retul are just tools for a fitter to use to put someone in the position that is right for them. Either of them can be used to get great results. I think the more important thing is the fitter doing the fitting.
    very interesting information where did you get your fit done justice? im also in the hunt for a bike fit i think i narrow it down to either nate, just because of reviews. also found aram i believe hes name is at predator cycling, but not sure because i havent seen many reviews from predators bike fit. now im interested in the RETUL fitting tho! any other information will help a ton and continue this thread for future searches

    does nate or aram use this retul system or another?

    justice at what cost if you dont mind me asking you get your fit at ero sports? seems youll go back to jim at ero sports again for any other fitting huh?


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    My Bikes
    2012 BMC SLR01, 2012 Yeti ASR5, 2013 Trek Crockett
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lbnurface View Post


    very interesting information where did you get your fit done justice? im also in the hunt for a bike fit i think i narrow it down to either nate, just because of reviews. also found aram i believe hes name is at predator cycling, but not sure because i havent seen many reviews from predators bike fit. now im interested in the RETUL fitting tho! any other information will help a ton and continue this thread for future searches

    does nate or aram use this retul system or another?

    justice at what cost if you dont mind me asking you get your fit at ero sports? seems youll go back to jim at ero sports again for any other fitting huh?


    I got my retul fit done at ERO sports. Jim used to charge 275 for a fit. It looks like they recently changed their policy since Jim is so busy it costs 325 to be fit by Jim, and 275 by one of the other fitters. I would still go back to Jim at $325 I think it is worth it. I havent worked with the other fitters at ERO so I cant comment on them. Jim is very fair, my first fitting didnt take very long so he didnt charge me full price (I dont feel comfortable disclosing that number but it was more than fair and I was willing to pay full price). Since I got my road fitting I went back for a mountain bike fitting fully prepared to pay full price since it was a different type of bike, but he gave me a discount on that fit as well.

    I dont think Nate or predator cycling use retul, but I dont know for sure. Ive heard nothing but good things about Nate.

    Retul is only a tool. Working with an experienced fitter is the most important part.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    626 baldwin park
    My Bikes
    2002 trek usps
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks a lot justice very helpful, Jim at ERO is on my top pick list now

    anyone else have useful information to share with???

  11. #11
    Senior Member Gallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego CA
    My Bikes
    2008 Wilier Motorolio Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail 1986 Paramount
    Posts
    442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in San Diego and went to John Howard. I was very pleased with the results. John brings his personal experience and performs a through fitting. He tested me on a roller with a watt output and a computer simulation software before the fit and after the fit to gauge improvement. He he went the extra mile and pointed out that my right knee was in the wrong position and then adjusted and shimmed my shoe. He explained why I have been rubbing on my crank for many years and how it sapped some power. He suggested that my shoes and pedal were not what he would of recommended and that when they are worn to consider some options. He marked everything in case I was not pleased so I could adjust to my original set up. He asked questions he answered questions. Nothing was forced from a sales perspective and my impression was he might be as good a fitter as he was a rider. Overall I could not be more than pleased

    http://www.johnhowardsports.com/?page_id=153
    "Are you finished and satisfied with the thread up to this point? If so, if you don't mind, I'm inclined to close it now, the quality posts have dwindled - it's circling the bowl now." BillyD

    I can't climb and do not sprint well so I over compensate with bad form and lack of endurance

    2008 Wilier Mortorolio - 2008 Stumpjumper Hardtail - 1986 Paramount

  12. #12
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,235
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    II got my fitting done with Nate Loyal about 4-5 years ago, I have mixed feelings about the fit. I was still having some issues post fit, which might be because I already injured a certain area and needed time to recover(no fit would solve that).

    I got my latest 2 fits done with Jim Baldesaur(JB) in Ohio. Hands down the best fit ever. I attribute at least a 5% increase in overall power due to being way more comfortable and extending the legs out. It could be placebo but I seriously felt like he knew what he was doing. It was stupid hard to get a hold of him though...
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •