Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Certifiably crazy! Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Felt Z5, Edict 9, Nine Race
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Camp Pendleton closed to cyclists now?

    I was coming back through Pendleton from San Onofre and the Marine at the entrance told me they are no longer allowing bicyclists through the base after today. Has anyone heard anything about it? I don't see it on their site. I go through Pendleton once every couple of months, so its no big deal to me. Just passing along information.

    Carlos
    2011 Felt Z5
    2012 Felt Nine Race, 2013 Felt Edict Nine

  2. #2
    Senior Member volosong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, SoCal
    Posts
    2,373
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not good. It will force us onto the freeway.
    Deut 6:5

    ---

    "Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

  3. #3
    Member MoreBlackSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    DT Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale CAAD10 5, 90's Scott Hybrid
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, was doing to head through there next month on a la to sd ride. Any idea if this is just a temporary closure?

  4. #4
    #5639 robertkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. No surprise there. I never go through the base anyhow. I find using I5 to be safer and easier. Just bring an earplug for the noise and you'll be fine.

  5. #5
    so cal com John R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Yorba Linda Calif
    My Bikes
    Trek hybrid commuter, Specialized Tarmac, Cannondale Cad 6, Shwinn Homegrown MB, Specialized FSR MB Cannondale Tandem
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing like a tractor trailer passing you at 70 mph!!!
    Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].

  6. #6
    Unobtanium-Based Lifeform calamarichris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer! I hope not. I don't mind riding South on the 5, but riding North in all that exhaust is for the birds.
    And I disagree that riding on the Interstate is safer--it's faster, but much less pleasant than riding through P'ton.

  7. #7
    Unobtanium-Based Lifeform calamarichris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fewf! I just spoke with the Provost Marshal Desk Sergeant and he said civilian cyclists are indeed still permitted through. Perhaps the Marine gate guard meant that no more cyclists would be allowed for the rest of the day? After dark, they don't let us through, so if it was getting late, perhaps that's what he meant?

    Just a reminder to bring your drivers license or other ID, wear a helmet, ride only on Stuart Mesa Road, and please ride politely on Pendleton. It's not a public road and we're permitted through there at the Post Commanding General's pleasure. If enough of us "take a lane", throw our Gu packets on the side of the road, run stop signs, or engage in rude behavior, we all get the boot, and we're stuck riding on the interstate with the texting, 90+mph luxury SUVs.

  8. #8
    Certifiably crazy! Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Felt Z5, Edict 9, Nine Race
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird. I passed through around 10:30ish A.M. Thanks for the update.

    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    Fewf! I just spoke with the Provost Marshal Desk Sergeant and he said civilian cyclists are indeed still permitted through. Perhaps the Marine gate guard meant that no more cyclists would be allowed for the rest of the day? After dark, they don't let us through, so if it was getting late, perhaps that's what he meant?

    Just a reminder to bring your drivers license or other ID, wear a helmet, ride only on Stuart Mesa Road, and please ride politely on Pendleton. It's not a public road and we're permitted through there at the Post Commanding General's pleasure. If enough of us "take a lane", throw our Gu packets on the side of the road, run stop signs, or engage in rude behavior, we all get the boot, and we're stuck riding on the interstate with the texting, 90+mph luxury SUVs.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2012 Felt Nine Race, 2013 Felt Edict Nine

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does someone have a strava route link handy for a LA - SD ride? I'd like to try it some time.

  10. #10
    Unobtanium-Based Lifeform calamarichris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cptsilver View Post
    Does someone have a strava route link handy for a LA - SD ride? I'd like to try it some time.
    Click the blue words above in my previous post. "Stuart Mesa Road."
    There's very little climbing, and even fewer stoplights, and even less traffic... it's pretty sweet.


    Edit: Where in LA are you coming from? Give us a neighborhood and I'll give you a recommended Gmaps route.
    Last edited by calamarichris; 07-09-13 at 10:40 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,886
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The base is subject to random closure, either the security misspoke, or was misunderstood. This usually occurs when a 70 mph semi tractor on your left becomes a more attractive alternate to a 70 ton tank screaming straight at you.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    Click the blue words above in my previous post. "Stuart Mesa Road."
    There's very little climbing, and even fewer stoplights, and even less traffic... it's pretty sweet.


    Edit: Where in LA are you coming from? Give us a neighborhood and I'll give you a recommended Gmaps route.
    I'd most likely take SGRT to Seal Beach and continue from there. Thanks!

  13. #13
    Unobtanium-Based Lifeform calamarichris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    The base is subject to random closure, either the security misspoke, or was misunderstood. This usually occurs when a 70 mph semi tractor on your left becomes a more attractive alternate to a 70 ton tank screaming straight at you.
    I've ridden through Pendleton more than 100 times over the years and the only time they've ever refused me passage was immediately after 9/11.
    And only seen tanks twice, neither time were they screaming straight at me. (?)

  14. #14
    Senior Member Chaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Encinitas CA
    My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Posts
    827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just rode through Camp Pendleton this morning, going both ways. No problem at all.
    Scott CR1 Team

  15. #15
    Unobtanium-Based Lifeform calamarichris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report Chaco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cptsilver View Post
    I'd most likely take SGRT to Seal Beach and continue from there. Thanks!
    This is the route I'd take, (except I don't mind living dangerously, and I just stay on PCH through Laguna beach, despite the high traffic, parked cars, and lack of bike lane.)
    It's a fun route, and you should have a nice quartering tailwind much of the way. Then you can just take your bike on the train back up.
    I recently took my bike on the train up to Santa Barbara and rode back down, and was very pleased at how bicycle-friendly California as-a-whole has gotten. It's a very pleasant ride.







  16. #16
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,886
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    I've ridden through Pendleton more than 100 times over the years and the only time they've ever refused me passage was immediately after 9/11.
    And only seen tanks twice, neither time were they screaming straight at me. (?)
    That's because they close the base to bikes when they do take tracked vehicles on the old coast highway south of the state park. You may have noticed that near the bridge under I-5 there is a turnoff to another bridge into the interior of the base. Look even more closely, and you will see tank tracks.

    There was a closure about a month ago where they were transporting supplies by semi truck on that route to the helicopter pads for transport to ships offshore (a VertRep exercise).

    The closures are never for more than a day or two, and unless you ride it every freakin day, it is not surprising you have never been turned back. It's simple mathematics (Probability) These closures never amount to more than a few days per year.
    Last edited by CommuteCommando; 07-09-13 at 01:05 PM. Reason: give it a rest or you'll get your nose rubbed in it.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  17. #17
    Unobtanium-Based Lifeform calamarichris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    The closures are never for more than a day or two, and unless you ride it every freakin day, it is not surprising you have never been turned back. It's simple mathematics (Probability) These closures never amount to more than a few days per year.
    Yeah, the Marines probably prefer to train M-F while the rest of us are also working. Almost all of my Pendleton gambols have been on Sat & Sun.

  18. #18
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    2,299
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cptsilver View Post
    Does someone have a strava route link handy for a LA - SD ride? I'd like to try it some time.
    Sorry no strava from me, but here's an idea if you're not in a hurry...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •