Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southern California (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/)
-   -   What Happened To............... (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/914631-what-happened.html)

TJClay 09-24-13 07:39 AM

What Happened To...............
 
Mr Beanz?

I've been out of town for a while and noticed there's no ride reports from him in the last month. Then I research a little and find a permanent ban. I miss the reports and wonder what he could have done.:banned:

Rick@OCRR 09-24-13 07:57 AM

Good question. I can't imagine Beanz doing anything that would have gotten him banned. That's just not like him. He was always so positive and never slammed anyone (unless he was kidding, which he would always point out). So I have no clue . . .

Rick / OCRR

JerrySTL 09-24-13 08:04 AM

At the risk of me getting banned myself:

http://forums.bicycling.com/topic/54635607119938124

Pamestique 09-24-13 09:12 AM

If you are interested he is now occasionally posting at socaltrailriders.org under the Roadie forum... and Rick - Mr. Beanz could sometimes be abrasive. He got into it with me and others on several occasions which is why I have never felt comfortable participating in a so cal forum ride...

TrojanHorse 09-24-13 10:50 AM

There was a thread on this subforum about nor-cal / so-cal and most of the thing ended up getting deleted, so I didn't see all of the posts in question, but reputedly he got into it hard.

Life's too short to get that winged up about cycling. Football - yes, cycling no. :)

Pam - you're safe now! :lol:

Pamestique 09-24-13 11:35 AM

Yes... a sigh of relief now... =whew=! :thumb:

Lesper4 09-24-13 11:51 AM

People tend to get into it more on the internet then in person but when you ride with the guy he is genuinely nice.

iTrek 09-24-13 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lesper4 (Post 16099432)
People tend to get into it more on the internet then in person but when you ride with the guy he is genuinely nice.


Agreed!

eja_ bottecchia 09-24-13 01:27 PM

I was going to post that I was sorry to see the guy go. But after reading his post explaining why he was banned I am certainly glad that he was. To go off on Tom, like he did, is not excusable.

While I appreciate the fact that Beanz got many riders to ride the GMR to Mt. Baldy, myself included, no one is THAT important that they can go around flaunting the rules of the Forum.

I was once given a temporary ban and I pled my case to Tom. He explained to me what I had done wrong and ever since then I have done my best to play within the lines. It is really that simple.

I really like BF, if it means that I have to obey the rules to stay here, then I will do it.

I am sure that Tom and the rest of the mods had good reason for their action.

hamster 09-24-13 01:45 PM

The whole story reads pretty ridiculous, especially the part about blowing up at Tom. Someone had too much to drink?

eja_ bottecchia 09-24-13 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamster (Post 16099742)
The whole story reads pretty ridiculous, especially the part about blowing up at Tom. Someone had too much to drink?

Agreed, especially in Tom's current condition. :notamused:

Rick@OCRR 09-24-13 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamestique (Post 16098837)
... and Rick - Mr. Beanz could sometimes be abrasive. He got into it with me and others on several occasions . . .

Sorry Pam,

I didn't know that. I've ridden with Beanz on many rides and in my experience he is / was always nice guy, not abrasive in the least. Another case of YMMV :)

Rick / OCRR

rooftest 09-24-13 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySTL (Post 16098586)
At the risk of me getting banned myself:

http://forums.bicycling.com/topic/54635607119938124

Yikes - I think his spelling and/or grammar alone is banworthy.

furiousferret 09-24-13 02:46 PM

Crap Mr Beanz is gone. Haven't been around here much lately but he was one of the reasons I came to the SoCal forum. Met the guy once and he was a cool dude.

I can understand his blow up, the exaggerations on this forum are epic and a huge turn off.

RIRview 09-24-13 03:04 PM

"You know it's bad mojo and not an exactly good thing to bash someone who was at the time of the issue in the hospital due to cardiac issues and can never ride a traditional bike again because of lupus."

If that is true, definitely NOT cool on Beanz's part.

Pamestique 09-24-13 03:17 PM

Tom has been struggling with his health. You can read more about it in P & R. In fact today, he is going in for surgery. I wish Tom well and hope he's back and at it (whatever that may be) soon!

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...all-my-friends

Pamestique 09-24-13 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 16099881)
Sorry Pam,

I didn't know that. I've ridden with Beanz on many rides and in my experience he is / was always nice guy, not abrasive in the least. Another case of YMMV :)

Rick / OCRR

I think probably if you know him personally you see him differently. I knew him only through the forum and was put off on how he treated me and what he did to others. I suppose had I met him, I would have been more forgiving but you really only get a few chances to make an impression and to me, it was bad.

CommuteCommando 09-24-13 03:53 PM

He and I had some testy exchanges in here, but that was mostly over misunderstandings. Some times it's work to keep your cool. We met on a ride and kissed and made up (no tongues)

Jed19 09-24-13 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamestique (Post 16100043)
I think probably if you know him personally you see him differently. I knew him only through the forum and was put off on how he treated me and what he did to others. I suppose had I met him, I would have been more forgiving but you really only get a few chances to make an impression and to me, it was bad.

I know, and have ridden many times with Beanz and his wife,Gina. I can attest that he is really a nice person. It is unfortunate that he rubbed you the wrong way on the forum.

JimmyNH 09-24-13 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySTL (Post 16098586)
At the risk of me getting banned myself:

http://forums.bicycling.com/topic/54635607119938124

Really!!?? Is this what Mr. Beanz got banned for?! I understand Tom has got some health issues and I wish him well, but c'mon - ban the guy just because he "hurt somebody’s feelings" by telling him to post his real time!!?? Is this a bunch of 6-year-old girls around here? :rolleyes:
I've known Mr. Beanz for probably 10 years and I can tell for a fact that he is a very nice, open-minded guy. It's been more than once that he helped people on the road, SAG-ed rides up GMR providing water and sandwiches at his own expense, etc. Can he say something "abrasive"? Of course he can. Anybody can. We all do. Do we always have to talk as if we are getting arrested and everything we say "can and will be held against us"? I'm sick and tired of touchy, whiny people that cry bloody murder every time you say something they don't like.

Pamestique 09-24-13 04:41 PM

Jimmy - I assume you read Beanz's post on Bicycling.com... gives you some idea how he treated others on the forum... part of the ban was due to a build up of infractions...

I think you need to give the mods on this website a lot of credit they put up with alot and give alot of latitude. To earn a permanent ban someone has to do something particularly ornerous. I assume you did not see the exchange that has been deleted. Its hard for you to make a judgment of the mods without seeing it. I can personally attest to the fact he could be cruel and nasty (although I never reported him - I just avoided him).

Anyway you can still "play" with him on the other forums he frequents and I am sure you will see him riding. This is just an internet forum, its not like he was beheaded by the Queen.

hamster 09-24-13 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamestique (Post 16100032)
Tom has been struggling with his health. You can read more about it in P & R. In fact today, he is going in for surgery. I wish Tom well and hope he's back and at it (whatever that may be) soon!

I have not been following this, but Mr Beanz's post on that other forum is dated August 15 and Tom's first mention of being in the hospital with cardiac issues is dated August 16. Still does not excuse the language though.

tunavic 09-24-13 05:50 PM

I'm still here, so you have me to deal with now :innocent:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamestique (Post 16099365)
Yes... a sigh of relief now... =whew=! :thumb:


tunavic 09-24-13 06:05 PM

On a more serious note: I had several exchanges via PM with Mr Beanz (I never met him in person). He freely gave advice and encouraged me to just "go do it" (meaning ride and don't worry about trivial things - e.g.-how slow you'll be compared to others, how poorly you might climb GMR, etc).

When I run into him on SART or GMR I'll be sure to buy a round......maybe two or three :)

CbadRider 09-24-13 07:29 PM

Threads discussing banned users are not allowed, since they're not available to post in them.

All I can do is point you to the Banned User thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post15965186

Closed.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.