Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 31 of 31
  1. #26
    Senior Member rapattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    My Bikes
    EziGo zoom
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    That looks like Hollywood, at least that California Chicken Cafe is in Hollywood. My brother lives a few blocks east of there. That area doesn't strike me as being terribly bike friendly but I don't have any experience riding around there. I brought my bike over once when I was pet sitting for him and I was too afraid to ride it around there LOL.
    Yes i think it is west hollywood. In what way wasnt it bike friendly? How are they with riders on a footpath over there. In Australia they mostly tolerate us because i look slow and not dangerous to others he he. The professional cyclists or young ppl get puled up all the time. Especially if the person is not wearing a helmet

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2
    Posts
    2,400
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rapattack View Post
    Yes i think it is west hollywood. In what way wasnt it bike friendly?
    There's just not much in the way of bike lanes. If you ride off in the gutter (which I wouldn't recommend) you'll have to constantly swerve in/out of traffic to dodge parked cars. The main streets are packed with high speed auto traffic. I haven't seen many cyclists in that area. You might have luck on quieter side streets. I would suggest looking at Google Maps bike view (I don't see many bike lanes in the area.) The cycling infrastructure is better as you get closer to the coast.

  3. #28
    Senior Member rapattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    My Bikes
    EziGo zoom
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post
    Ah, that's a different story! People more familiar with the area will be more helpful than me. Enjoy your trip!
    Oh thanks so much

  4. #29
    Senior Member rapattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    My Bikes
    EziGo zoom
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    There's just not much in the way of bike lanes. If you ride off in the gutter (which I wouldn't recommend) you'll have to constantly swerve in/out of traffic to dodge parked cars. The main streets are packed with high speed auto traffic. I haven't seen many cyclists in that area. You might have luck on quieter side streets. I would suggest looking at Google Maps bike view (I don't see many bike lanes in the area.) The cycling infrastructure is better as you get closer to the coast.
    OK cool. Does anyone ride footpaths there? Its illegal in sydney but hardly anyone enforces it...ok will look at the google maps bike view :0) I do mostly cycle in small streets/alleyways as i try to avoid main roads anyway

  5. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2
    Posts
    2,400
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rapattack View Post
    OK cool. Does anyone ride footpaths there?
    We call them sidewalks here. Occasionally you'll see it, but they're generally going pretty slow (less than 10mph.) I'm not convinced it's any safer. You run a much higher risk of having an accident at instersections when you ride on the sidewalk.

    If you can do 25-30mph on your e-bike you might not have a problem on side streets. I've found that if you can do within about 10mph of auto traffic they treat you more like another automobile than a nuisance.

  6. #31
    Senior Member rapattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    My Bikes
    EziGo zoom
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    We call them sidewalks here. Occasionally you'll see it, but they're generally going pretty slow (less than 10mph.) I'm not convinced it's any safer. You run a much higher risk of having an accident at instersections when you ride on the sidewalk.

    If you can do 25-30mph on your e-bike you might not have a problem on side streets. I've found that if you can do within about 10mph of auto traffic they treat you more like another automobile than a nuisance.
    cool thanks i will probably end up getting an ordinary bike as la is so flat compared to sydney at least where i will b cycling. there is one day i was going to cycle to griffith park but might have to hire an ebike just for that day. also cost wise its turning out to be an ordeal. i am super slow believe me. i have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and i remember the heat was quite something in LA last time i was there 20 years back. it is good for me on many other levels, for many other conditions i have tho. the cold kills me. anyway i love to exercise and get out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •