Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Big group rides

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    1,754
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Big group rides

    There is apparently a number of semi-regular big group rides in San Diego. There was a "holiday ride" out of Encinitas today that drew a sizable crowd (I see 32 people just in Strava), there is a "belgian waffle ride" (in April?), a "pie ride" (not sure if it's a regular thing or just a route).

    Which others are there, and is there a place that lists all of them?

  2. #2
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,036
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to google groups and join the Swamis group . The Ride holiday ride and BWR are all Ride/Spy/Swamis rides. The pie ride is a route that is done by different groups/clubs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member tony2v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    National City, CA
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SDBC had their Annual Turkey Hunt & Shoot ride today, usually about 100 riders. SDBC has some other annual rides also, Dec 14th Xmas Toy ~300 riders (yes 300), MADD (Mother's Against Drunk Drivers) Labor Day.
    Campagnolo will have their Toy Ride on Dec 7th leaving from their office in Carlsbad.
    1975 Albert Eisentraut - 2006 Moots Compact: Campy Chorus - 2007 KHS Solo-One -2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage - 2013 Alchemy Xanthus: Campy Record

  4. #4
    Senior Member Gallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego CA
    My Bikes
    2008 Wilier Motorolio Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail 1986 Paramount
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BWR is an event with spy caf lost abbey and more. They limit the riders so registration must be done early. link to last years registration below

    https://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/Regi...cJNKYMzEdIVLgJ
    "Are you finished and satisfied with the thread up to this point? If so, if you don't mind, I'm inclined to close it now, the quality posts have dwindled - it's circling the bowl now." BillyD

    I can't climb and do not sprint well so I over compensate with bad form and lack of endurance

    2008 Wilier Mortorolio - 2008 Stumpjumper Hardtail - 1986 Paramount

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    1,754
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
    BWR is an event with spy caf lost abbey and more. They limit the riders so registration must be done early. link to last years registration below

    https://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/Regi...cJNKYMzEdIVLgJ
    I was thinking more along the lines of free rides, which I assumed BWR was. Good to learn otherwise.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Gallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego CA
    My Bikes
    2008 Wilier Motorolio Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail 1986 Paramount
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like you should join a club SDBC has a bunch of different levels

    swamis seems race oriented but a large club idk all the levels with their size I assume they have a B and maybe a C, Ranchos I have seen the fast guys don't know if they have a B and Decenders smaller but fast, I get dropped like a rock off a cliff nice group of guys . Most of the clubs do Sat and Sun rides that are no cost.
    "Are you finished and satisfied with the thread up to this point? If so, if you don't mind, I'm inclined to close it now, the quality posts have dwindled - it's circling the bowl now." BillyD

    I can't climb and do not sprint well so I over compensate with bad form and lack of endurance

    2008 Wilier Mortorolio - 2008 Stumpjumper Hardtail - 1986 Paramount

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    1,754
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
    sounds like you should join a club SDBC has a bunch of different levels

    swamis seems race oriented but a large club idk all the levels with their size I assume they have a B and maybe a C, Ranchos I have seen the fast guys don't know if they have a B and Decenders smaller but fast, I get dropped like a rock off a cliff nice group of guys . Most of the clubs do Sat and Sun rides that are no cost.
    The only one that starts near me is Ranchos, I went with them once and got dropped after about 10 min. There's another that starts a bit further out but they ride on Tuesdays, which is an obvious problem. To ride with all others, I'd have to drive to the start or get up at 6 AM on Saturdays.

    It's mainly that I see/hear about these big rides, sometimes they go through my neighborhood (last year, SPY BWR and New Years passed right by my house), and I always learn about them after the fact.

  8. #8
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,036
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    The only one that starts near me is Ranchos, I went with them once and got dropped after about 10 min. There's another that starts a bit further out but they ride on Tuesdays, which is an obvious problem. To ride with all others, I'd have to drive to the start or get up at 6 AM on Saturdays.

    It's mainly that I see/hear about these big rides, sometimes they go through my neighborhood (last year, SPY BWR and New Years passed right by my house), and I always learn about them after the fact.
    when you join a club you find out about all the unofficial rides. Off the top of my head I can think of a Tuesday, 2 Wednesday and a Thursday ride that start near me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •