Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southern California (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/)
-   -   Bicyclist hit and killed by Sheriff in Calabasas (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/925411-bicyclist-hit-killed-sheriff-calabasas.html)

Number400 12-09-13 12:24 PM

I hope it was not distracted driving but Police Officers have so many gadgets in the car. Laptop, radios, personal cell phones, paperwork, etc...

GP 12-09-13 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaleighSport (Post 16314816)
The investigation will be conducted by whom? Is the group in question more allied with covering their butts rather than the truth? Are biases against the victim? More then likely this will end with a slap on the wrist for the deputy and the facts of the case being obfuscated in a smoke screen of at least deceit.. at best untruths.

You've already made your judgement.

RaleighSport 12-09-13 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 16314878)
You've already made your judgement.

More like I've already seen so many of these incidents that I know the common outcome, I will be refreshingly surprised if true dash cam footage comes out and the officer takes personal responsibility for the incident but given my real world experiences and the number of these cases encountered via the news and their outcomes the odds become amazingly low.

I like how you've decided for me though that I've made my judgement.. glad you're not judgemental or human like the rest of us ;) Much easier than answering my questions and doing some critical thinking of your own am I right?

Jamesw2 12-09-13 12:53 PM

More about the victim

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/09/ex-napster-coo-milton-olin-killed-in-bike-vs-cop-car-collision/

furiousferret 12-09-13 01:09 PM

Chances are he was on his computer checking calls or running a plate. Go on a ride along and its crazy how little they watch the road.

I don't think anything will come of this; worst case for the deputy is he will work in a jail the rest of his career.

Nikon Rep 12-09-13 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furiousferret (Post 16314995)

worst case for the deputy is he will work in a jail the rest of his career.

maybe not such a good idea.....

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=9354257

eja_ bottecchia 12-09-13 01:49 PM

Funny that the English papers have better coverage of this accident.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...atrol-car.html

Biker395 12-09-13 03:02 PM

That man was someone like me, doing what I would have been doing, where I would have been doing it (if I wasn't so busy Sunday).

It might well have been me. RIP

phoebeisis 12-09-13 03:28 PM

Where did the bike was in bike lane info come from?
There really isn't any way around the cop being at fault
short of bike rider suddenly swerved in front of him
and the dash cam will make it pretty clear one way or the other.

What is the speed limit on that narrow road???

Nikon Rep 12-09-13 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebeisis (Post 16315452)
Where did the bike was in bike lane info come from?
There really isn't any way around the cop being at fault
short of bike rider suddenly swerved in front of him
and the dash cam will make it pretty clear one way or the other.


LA County sheriff cars don't have dash cam video

RaleighSport 12-09-13 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikon Rep (Post 16315478)
LA County sheriff cars don't have dash cam video

Source?

Nikon Rep 12-09-13 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaleighSport (Post 16315490)
Source?

I have knowledge on these issues for many departments in Los Angeles.

Just to name a few.....

Departments in LA that have dash cam are El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Hawthorne PD

Departments that don't are LAPD, LACSO, Gardena, Torrance

UmneyDurak 12-09-13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CbadRider (Post 16313315)
Same here. I hope the Sheriff's department doesn't just brush it off.

It will. The deputy that killed two cyclists here got re-assigned to desk job. He is still with department. They protect their own.

RaleighSport 12-09-13 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikon Rep (Post 16315731)
I have knowledge on these issues for many departments in Los Angeles.

Just to name a few.....

Departments in LA that have dash cam are El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Hawthorne PD

Departments that don't are LAPD, LACSO, Gardena, Torrance

Not to say that people anonymously on the interwebz state things they may not know about.. but it happens all the time. Can you list a verifiable source for your claim?

phoebeisis 12-09-13 05:11 PM

No dash video-when you cheapskate bike rides have it??
Only one reason to not have dash video-you DON'T WANT STOPS VIDEOED!

Short of suddenly swerving in front of the cop car-
I really don't see how the cops isn't at fault.
And for safety glass to spall like it must have-high impact -this wasn't a 15 vs 25mph speed difference.
That glass specifically designed to not spall.

eja_ bottecchia 12-09-13 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 16315377)
That man was someone like me, doing what I would have been doing, where I would have been doing it (if I wasn't so busy Sunday).

It might well have been me. RIP

Yep.

But for the grace of God there goes one of us...any of us.

If there is any "consolation" in all of this, is that he led a full and fulfilling life. He died much too young, but he appeared to have had a great life.

RIP fellow brother of the wheel.

eja_ bottecchia 12-09-13 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaleighSport (Post 16315755)
Not to say that people anonymously on the interwebz state things they may not know about.. but it happens all the time. Can you list a verifiable source for your claim?

I have connections to LE and his information is correct for LA County.

bhchdh 12-09-13 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebeisis (Post 16315452)
Where did the bike was in bike lane info come from? The OP's link to the story.

What is the speed limit on that narrow road??? 25mph. from a picture in the Daily mail link

..

Jed19 12-09-13 05:35 PM

I hope the LA County Sheriff passes this case on to the CHP to investigate. That they won't investigate one of their own in a case that a conflict of interest is apparent.

And, I hope the deputy involved had his blood tested for narcotics and alcohol.

I won't hold my breath though!

Duane Behrens 12-09-13 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howeeee (Post 16313988)
Victims lawyers should work for free?

No. Victims' lawyers should not be allowed to raid public coffers under the guise of justice. Sue the convicted criminal? Sure. Garnish his wages and seize his property? You betcha. Just don't expect me to get behind a "settlement" that reduces public services as a result, via a direct payoff or increased liability insurance rates. Thanks.

CommuteCommando 12-09-13 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebeisis (Post 16315782)
And for safety glass to spall like it must have-high impact -this wasn't a 15 vs 25mph speed difference.
That glass specifically designed to not spall.

Yeah. When I read that it made me question the whole "speed was not an issue" statement.

Dunbar 12-09-13 09:34 PM

Reading the comments on the CBS video link this appears to have happened on the 22500 block of Mulholland Highway (not the 22000 block that the reporter stated.) If you look at Google street view there's a right hand traffic lane that ends just prior to where the collision took place. The cop most likely was moving over to the left and went through the bike lane and struck the rider.


http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/645/l9it.png


http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3537/yn8x.png


http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1397/m3vk.png

Nikon Rep 12-09-13 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Behrens (Post 16316043)
No. Victims' lawyers should not be allowed to raid public coffers under the guise of justice. Sue the convicted criminal? Sure. Garnish his wages and seize his property? You betcha. Just don't expect me to get behind a "settlement" that reduces public services as a result, via a direct payoff or increased liability insurance rates. Thanks.

Then you will have to eliminate qualified immunity and indemnification for government/public employees.

CommuteCommando 12-10-13 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=354632
I did a Google Earth snap shot of a block wall right at the accedent scene, and measured the slope. Mr. Olin was descending at ~3.6%. He was a seasoned roadie, not a lot older than me, and by the photos of him, in better shape. I would guess he was doing at least 15 mph down that hill. I sure would. The speed limit was 25. I fail to see how a cyclist hitting a windshield at 10 mph (call it fifteen to give the deputy the customary 5 mph leeway) could put that big of a crater in it.

Dunbar 12-10-13 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando (Post 16318858)
The speed limit was 25.

The speed limit on the weekend (with the schools being closed) is 45mph along that stretch of highway. If you look on google maps you can see a 45mph speed limit sign about 2 blocks south of this location. The cyclist would be traveling up the incline when heading north. You can see from the CBS video screenshot pretty clearly that the police car is stopped on a slight incline. A cyclist doing ~15mph being struck from behind by a car doing 45-50mph would be enough to kill someone on impact.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 PM.