Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southern California (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/)
-   -   tour de palm springs century ride (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/925818-tour-de-palm-springs-century-ride.html)

Lesper4 12-27-13 10:25 AM

The half marathon the next day gives you a better shirt for the same price. Long sleeve tech tee (wicking) and post food.

TrojanHorse 12-27-13 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJClay (Post 16361309)
that's about all you get, no post ride food, lousy course markings yet I do it every year and enjoy it, except the wind............

Course markings last year were spectacular! It's the only century I've every done where I wasn't worried about getting lost. Well, that and you have 11k riders to follow. Ha ha.

I think Cool Breeze is the only century that provides food (that I've done). Solvang lets you pay $20 for BBQ chicken.... um, no. The entry fee for tdps is cheap enough that I'm alright with providing my own post ride food.

A beer garden though... I'd donate a kidney.

CommuteCommando 12-27-13 10:01 PM

Maybe next year for me. I'll be doing Solvang this year. I did check out the TDPS route and was kinda surprised to see how weak the PDF route map and que sheets were. I did a RWGPS route based on the cue sheet, and there were a couple of bad directions given and I am kinda iffy about the section from mile 75-80.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3824962


Quote:

Originally Posted by gandor (Post 16327540)
thx for the heads up...it looks like I'll be wearing the same thing from bike the coast...long sleeve base layer, jersey, light wind/rain jacket and regular bib should be enough. here's me from bike the coast in matching fluorescent green shoes and jacket.

https://d35l3oybk21k7h.cloudfront.ne...jpg?1383844130

I did this one, and being local, I parked about two miles along the route so I could dump layers in my car. (near where you cross under the pedestrian bridge after leaving Pacific street)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16362860)
Course markings last year were spectacular! It's the only century I've every done where I wasn't worried about getting lost. Well, that and you have 11k riders to follow. Ha ha.

I think Cool Breeze is the only century that provides food (that I've done). Solvang lets you pay $20 for BBQ chicken.... um, no. The entry fee for tdps is cheap enough that I'm alright with providing my own post ride food.

A beer garden though... I'd donate a kidney.

The bike the coast had all you can eat 3" Subway Sandwiches at the midpoint SAG for the full century riders. I had one more than I should have.

TrojanHorse 12-27-13 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando (Post 16363136)
The bike the coast had all you can eat 3" Subway Sandwiches at the midpoint SAG for the full century riders. I had one more than I should have.

Hmmph. Tour de cure did too. Holy cats those sammiches were good. I um, enjoyed them.

Here's the solvang route from last year - http://www.strava.com/activities/43801246

I'm sure I could turn it into a rwgps route if it stays the same.

CommuteCommando 12-28-13 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16363184)
Hmmph. Tour de cure did too. Holy cats those sammiches were good. I um, enjoyed them.

Here's the solvang route from last year - http://www.strava.com/activities/43801246

I'm sure I could turn it into a rwgps route if it stays the same.

Yep, it's the same. There is a rwgps route on their website. Thanks to you, I now know where the categorized climbs are too. :thumb: (I edited my earlier comment)

TrojanHorse 12-28-13 05:57 PM

It's a pretty route... it's hard to tell from the elevation graph but there are tons of rollers in there. Going through the AF Base was a train wreck last year. Lots of confusion - you were supposed to stand in line at a particular table based on last name (but it wasn't obvious which table was which) and promise to be good, and then they let you through. I think it eventually turned into "do you have a number? Ok, go" and since there wasn't any signing of paperwork or any sort of identification process, skipping the tables probably would have been for the best.

Willma_Fingerdo 12-30-13 03:03 AM

Solvang last year going thru the base sucked, won't do that again. The wind sucked last year also. PLUS the price is now $110.00 and limited to the first 3000.

TrojanHorse 12-30-13 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willma_Fingerdo (Post 16367207)
Solvang last year going thru the base sucked, won't do that again. The wind sucked last year also. PLUS the price is now $110.00 and limited to the first 3000.

How much was it last year? $100? I forget. $110 is getting into steep territory, especially since they want you to pay for lunch when you're done.

I imagine the participation limit is partly due to the issues they had going through the base... I wouldn't be sad to see them take that off the route. Plus, it's an air force base, that's barely military as it is. I mean... two marines looking serious would be enough to enforce discipline in the "peloton" going through an air force base.

CommuteCommando 12-30-13 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16369309)
How much was it last year? $100? I forget. $110 is getting into steep territory, especially since they want you to pay for lunch when you're done.

I imagine the participation limit is partly due to the issues they had going through the base... I wouldn't be sad to see them take that off the route. Plus, it's an air force base, that's barely military as it is. I mean... two marines looking serious would be enough to enforce discipline in the "peloton" going through an air force base.

Ironically, I routinely ride through a Marine base. Show ID, wear a helmet, and you're good to go, unless they're doing maneuvers. I guess Vandenberg gets more serious due to all the missile and satellite stuff.

TrojanHorse 12-31-13 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando (Post 16369320)
Ironically, I routinely ride through a Marine base. Show ID, wear a helmet, and you're good to go, unless they're doing maneuvers. I guess Vandenberg gets more serious due to all the missile and satellite stuff.

That's because Marines know what they're doing... and of course, they're not being invaded by 5,000 cyclists at once either, so there's that.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 PM.