Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-14, 10:09 PM   #1
Cacarlton
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First pro bike fitting

I am planning to get my first pro bike fitting. The store, Wheel World in Woodland Hills, where I purchased my Specialized road bike offered $129 for ~ 2hr session. I heard Nate Loyal, the renowned bike fitter, costs $200. Will there be much difference btwn them in result? Thanks!!!
Cacarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 10:39 PM   #2
JTGraphics
Senior Member
 
JTGraphics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used Nate and was and still am very happy with results that was about 2 years ago and since have had no issues from short to century rides.
I did have the custom insoles made at the same time and that was well worth it also.
__________________
It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm
JTGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 10:47 PM   #3
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
got a fit with Nate 5 years ago, it was a bit so-so. Still had issues but I went back and tweaked it with him so all went well.

Had another fit with another dude about 2 years ago, it was decent but my quads would light up when I would do above threshhold.

Got a fit with Nate again about a month back, feel great much better on the bike. Quads feel better too.

Nate isn't even expensive! I would give him a shout, great dude and super knowledgeable.
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 11:17 PM   #4
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 7,668
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
I am new to cycling, having been riding just under a year. About 3 months ago, I got a little more serious about my cycling while training for a century ride. Of all the things I did during that 3-mo training period, I would HANDS DOWN rank getting an excellent fitting as the most important thing I did. I was reluctant to spend the money and lose a training day but numerous people on these boards emphasized the importance of good fit, so I finally broke down & did it. Literally the very next day, I started to see substantial & sustained improvements in my cycling. (Admittedly I was two months into a pretty structured training program, so it could also have been partially that the training was starting to kick in). When I rode my century, I saw all kinds of people in obvious pain- shaking their hands out, standing out of their saddles, rolling their shoulders, etc. I had none of that and calmly pedaled my hundred miles in comfort. The next day, I rode a 30-mi recovery ride with zero soreness anywhere.

So my advice would be: there is almost no $ of money that is too much to pay for a good fitting. I don't know anything about Wheel World, you might do ok there. Nate Loyal has a good reputation and would probably be worth the premium, he was my second choice. In the end, I went to Jim Manton at ERO-Sports at the Velodrome in Carson. He is $325 and worth every penny. If you want to know what I would do, the answer is easy- I'd go to Jim. This is not your average fitting. The guy is a true expert, fitting Olympians and pro riders as well as regular schmoes like you & me. (Not that I'm calling you a schmoe.)

Good luck!

H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 10:52 AM   #5
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
I am new to cycling, having been riding just under a year. About 3 months ago, I got a little more serious about my cycling while training for a century ride. Of all the things I did during that 3-mo training period, I would HANDS DOWN rank getting an excellent fitting as the most important thing I did. I was reluctant to spend the money and lose a training day but numerous people on these boards emphasized the importance of good fit, so I finally broke down & did it. Literally the very next day, I started to see substantial & sustained improvements in my cycling. (Admittedly I was two months into a pretty structured training program, so it could also have been partially that the training was starting to kick in). When I rode my century, I saw all kinds of people in obvious pain- shaking their hands out, standing out of their saddles, rolling their shoulders, etc. I had none of that and calmly pedaled my hundred miles in comfort. The next day, I rode a 30-mi recovery ride with zero soreness anywhere.

So my advice would be: there is almost no $ of money that is too much to pay for a good fitting. I don't know anything about Wheel World, you might do ok there. Nate Loyal has a good reputation and would probably be worth the premium, he was my second choice. In the end, I went to Jim Manton at ERO-Sports at the Velodrome in Carson. He is $325 and worth every penny. If you want to know what I would do, the answer is easy- I'd go to Jim. This is not your average fitting. The guy is a true expert, fitting Olympians and pro riders as well as regular schmoes like you & me. (Not that I'm calling you a schmoe.)

Good luck!

H
No one should be riding everyday anyways.
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:21 AM   #6
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 7,668
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
No one should be riding everyday anyways.
??? Dude, I ride 4 days a week. The only day I could do the fitting happened to be a training day. The fitter is a 1-2 hr drive from my house, the fitting itself 1.5 hours (turned out to be 2.5 hours). Based on the time of day the fitting was available, a training day had to be given up in order to do the fitting. It was worth it.

H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:26 AM   #7
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
??? Dude, I ride 4 days a week. The only day I could do the fitting happened to be a training day. The fitter is a 1-2 hr drive from my house, the fitting itself 1.5 hours (turned out to be 2.5 hours). Based on the time of day the fitting was available, a training day had to be given up in order to do the fitting. It was worth it.

H
you can schedule it during a rest week and not miss any training days.
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:34 AM   #8
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 7,668
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
you can schedule it during a rest week and not miss any training days.
Lol, in this particular instance, I chose not to because I was just coming off a rest week. If I had put it off until my next light training week, it would have been the week before my event and sorry Im not making big changes the week before the event. If I put it off until the next rest period, I would somehow have to be getting the fitting while on my Mexican beach vacation.

But thanks for the excellent insight into the nuances of my personal training schedule.
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:35 AM   #9
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did my fit on Wednesday and raced on Saturday! That's how much faith I have in Nate's work.
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:35 AM   #10
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Lol, in this particular instance, I chose not to because I was just coming off a rest week. If I had put it off until my next light training week, it would have been the week before my event and sorry Im not making big changes the week before the event. If I put it off until the next rest period, I would somehow have to be getting the fitting while on my Mexican beach vacation.

But thanks for the excellent insight into the nuances of my personal training schedule.
no prob bro I'm here to entertain
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:37 AM   #11
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 7,668
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
no prob bro I'm here to entertain
Well done, then. You have indeed amused.

H

PS Not a "bro." I guess I am a "sis"
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:49 AM   #12
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Well done, then. You have indeed amused.

H

PS Not a "bro." I guess I am a "sis"
chica it is!
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 11:19 AM   #13
Focused1
Who said slow isn't fun..
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Valley
Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1, Lemond Buenos Aires, Santa Cruz Superlight
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody have a recommendation for a reasonable fit in or around Long Beach? I have a friend who is new to road biking that needs to get a general fit
Focused1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 07:52 AM   #14
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Posts: 5,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused1 View Post
Anybody have a recommendation for a reasonable fit in or around Long Beach? I have a friend who is new to road biking that needs to get a general fit
No, but next best thing is to ask the bike shop owner for recommendations:

Tri Pacific
5470 east 2ND St
Long Beach, CA 90803
562 433-5801 - See more at: http://tri-pacific.com/?q=bikes#sthash.SHwrTJiu.dpuf
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 AM.