Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southern California (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/)
-   -   Mammoth Fall Century. (http://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/940017-mammoth-fall-century.html)

Lesper4 03-28-14 09:35 AM

Hey I am a clydesdale and ride doubles. Once your strength is up cycling really comes down to being mental and with that scenery it really lets you forget about your legs, especially when you stop to take a picture ;)

Rick@OCRR 03-28-14 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamestique (Post 16619617)
Says you and Biker395 the double century guys... boys its all relative... the climbs are tough for normal people... you guys are supermen!

Pam, you are correct up to a point, i.e. ease of climbing is a relative thing; won't argue with that.

Now to the point about Victor and myself being supermen . . . ah, no. Not even. Not even close for that matter. We just love to climb :thumb: so maybe that's due to early dementia setting in, I don't know :).

Rick / OCRR

TrojanHorse 03-28-14 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lesper4 (Post 16619729)
cycling really comes down to being mental

:roflmao2:

I agree!

Rick@OCRR 03-28-14 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16619942)
:roflmao2:

I agree! Cycling comes down to being "mental"

I don't think that was the meaning Lesper4 intended. To quote Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I not think it means what you think it means."

Rick / OCRR

Biker395 03-28-14 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 16619887)
Pam, you are correct up to a point, i.e. ease of climbing is a relative thing; won't argue with that.

Now to the point about Victor and myself being supermen . . . ah, no. Not even. Not even close for that matter. We just love to climb :thumb: so maybe that's due to early dementia setting in, I don't know :).

Rick / OCRR


Sometimes, I think I love to climb because when doing so, the people doing so with me are a captive audience and can't escape all the chatterboxing.

TrojanHorse 03-28-14 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 16620145)
I don't think that was the meaning Lesper4 intended. To quote Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I not think it means what you think it means."

Rick / OCRR

I realize what he intended I think it's pretty dual purpose in this circumstance. ;)

Lesper4 03-28-14 02:06 PM

agreed

dalameda 03-29-14 05:47 PM

For me the worst hills were the ones I didn't think were supposed to be there along 120 leading to the 3rd rest stop at Black lake. On the map it looks flat, but those rollers kept getting bigger and steeper as we went along.

Carloswithac 04-03-14 08:38 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions guys and gals! =)

Has anyone ever trained with an elevation mask.

http://www.trainingmask.com/template...0-features.jpg
I know it looks silly, but I'm willing to do it if it helps.

Elevation Training Mask | Simulate High Altitude Training

Lesper4 04-03-14 09:23 AM

I would say part of the enjoyment of cycling is the suffering and then the accomplishment. The time and effort you are feeling at elevation will be worth it and manageable, unless you know you have elevation issues but this really isn't all that high after all.

herbm 04-03-14 12:00 PM

All I can say is the altitude triggered my asthma big time.....when I got to the lunch stop I was screwed...had to beg someone for a ride out....
But I want to go back as this is unfinished business now!!!

Biker395 04-04-14 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dalameda (Post 16623728)
For me the worst hills were the ones I didn't think were supposed to be there along 120 leading to the 3rd rest stop at Black lake. On the map it looks flat, but those rollers kept getting bigger and steeper as we went along.

You mean these? Just the thing when you're pedaling into the typical headwind. FTW!

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=372848

They're a lot more fun in a car than they are on a bike.

Lesper4 04-04-14 02:56 PM

I think I had a tailwind last year there cause I was passing people. Vic you must have pictures from all the rides in all the different parts.

dalameda 04-04-14 04:36 PM

Thanks Vic, those be them. Thankfully your photography makes them look as frustrating as they felt. And Lesper, I'm sure one of the people you were passing was me. Identify yourself beforehand next time so I can stick a twig in your back spokes (or tie on to you with a bungie cord)

Heathpack 04-09-14 09:46 AM

Does this ride typically sell out registration-wise? As in "can I wait until August to register?"

H

Lesper4 04-30-14 04:03 PM

I hope not, I am waiting to register as well.

fastcarbon 04-30-14 06:41 PM

I haven't done that particular ride but I travel to the Sierras several times a year and ride both road and mountain bikes at elevations to 11,000 feet. I do nothing but arrive and ride. I occasionally feel like I am getting a little less oxygen than I need but it just slows you down. Don't let yourself get dehydrated as that is EZ at altitude.

Pamestique 05-01-14 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 16642145)
You mean these? Just the thing when you're pedaling into the typical headwind. FTW!


They're a lot more fun in a car than they are on a bike.

I went up for the week - before the ride I drove the course and ermember thinking "wow these rollies are going to fun on a bike!" Boy was I wrong...

Carloswithac 08-20-14 06:38 AM

Transferred!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 PM.