Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southern California Southern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-14, 08:02 AM   #1
gmharle
Member
Thread Starter
 
gmharle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Bikes: Pinarello Paris Carbon Giant TCR
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glendale Area Rides

I am in the Glendale area for the month of April on business and am looking for some good routes or groups to ride while I am here. I have looked around on map my ride for routes, but I am not that familiar with the surrounding areas. I am looking to do maybe 30-40 miles on Sat and Sun and would like to get in some decent climbs. Any recommendations from those that know the area? Thanks in advance.
gmharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 04:47 PM   #2
jimxyz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fullerton
Bikes: Baum Corretto - Felt F1
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would suggest a climb up Angeles Crest.
This link is not from one of my rides (it starts in Pasadena) - but it shows the area. Getting to Angeles Crest from Glendale is pretty easy and doesnt add many miles (either take Colorado to Linda Vista up to Foothil to hwy 2 or from downtown Glendal take Glendale Ave to Verdugo, to Foothill to hwy 2).
Pasadena/Angeles Crest in Pasadena, CA | MapMyRide
Griffith Park area has some decent riding areas - Map my Ride lists the varius routes. I have only done it a few times, so hopefully someone else can provide better guidance than I can.
If you can easily drive somewhere and then ride, you may want to consider riding in the Calabassas/Malibu Canyon areas. Not too far from Glendale, but far enough that you will need to drive. Lots of great up and down sections and ocean views
jimxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 06:38 PM   #3
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
Posts: 3,767
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
^ +1

Or, drive over to Encanto Park (near the northern terminus of US605) at 8AM. There are usually clouds of cyclists there and you can join a group for a ride down to the beach and back, up Highway 39 or up Glendora Mountain Road.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
www.photo395.com
Biker395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 09:04 PM   #4
f4rrest 
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo
Posts: 3,182
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmharle View Post
I am in the Glendale area for the month of April on business and am looking for some good routes or groups to ride while I am here. I have looked around on map my ride for routes, but I am not that familiar with the surrounding areas. I am looking to do maybe 30-40 miles on Sat and Sun and would like to get in some decent climbs. Any recommendations from those that know the area? Thanks in advance.
I ride your area regularly. Where are you staying?

Griffith Park and the LA River Trail are good. Super easy to get to from Glendale using Glenoaks Blvd. to Sonora. And/or ride the foothills in Glendale/Burbank by heading north on Brand Blvd to Kenneth and turn left.
Bike Ride Profile | 56 miles near Burbank | Times and Records | Strava

Angeles Crest Highway is best reached via Chevy Chase from Glendale. (Chevy Chase itself is a nice moderate climb.)
Avoid Angeles Crest during rush hours! No cell phone reception once you're in the mountains, best to save the GPX to your garmin and bring a printed map if you go alone.
I'll likely be doing something similar this Sunday with some coworkers at a very easy pace.
Bike Ride Profile | Chevy, ACH, BIg T, Hansen, Burbank loop near Burbank | Times and Records | Strava

Chevy Chase itself is a fun road, which you can take to the Rose Bowl. There is a fast group ride Tue and Thur nights 6pm at the Rose Bowl (10 laps, 30 mi).
Bike Ride Profile | commute + bowl + messenger bag near Burbank | Times and Records | Strava

La Tuna Canyon loop clockwise through Montrose to Glendale. In this one, I've combined Griffith Park and LA River as well. Of course you can split it up.
Avoid La Tuna Canyon during rush hours or late day weekends.
http://app.strava.com/activities/115588571

Last edited by f4rrest; 04-02-14 at 09:20 PM.
f4rrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 10:15 PM   #5
gmharle
Member
Thread Starter
 
gmharle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Bikes: Pinarello Paris Carbon Giant TCR
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
I ride your area regularly. Where are you staying?
Embassy Suites on Central


Quote:
Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
Angeles Crest Highway is best reached via Chevy Chase from Glendale. (Chevy Chase itself is a nice moderate climb.)
Avoid Angeles Crest during rush hours! No cell phone reception once you're in the mountains, best to save the GPX to your garmin and bring a printed map if you go alone.
I'll likely be doing something similar this Sunday with some coworkers at a very easy pace.
Bike Ride Profile | Chevy, ACH, BIg T, Hansen, Burbank loop near Burbank | Times and Records | Strava
Any chance that I could meet up with you somewhere and tag along?
gmharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 10:56 PM   #6
f4rrest 
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo
Posts: 3,182
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmharle View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

Embassy Suites on Central

Any chance that I could meet up with you somewhere and tag along?
Sure. Here's the route (47 miles). I could stop by Embassy Suites on the way around 8am. We'll meet the rest at 8:30 after the 7.5 mi Chevy Chase climb where it intersects Foothill.
http://goo.gl/maps/Uy1oR

I also plan to ride Griffith Park and LA River on Sat afternoon if you're up for that. It would be a good one to be familiar with for your own quick rides after work.
f4rrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 11:18 PM   #7
gmharle
Member
Thread Starter
 
gmharle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Bikes: Pinarello Paris Carbon Giant TCR
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
Sure. Here's the route (47 miles). I could stop by Embassy Suites on the way around 8am. We'll meet the rest at 8:30 after the 7.5 mi Chevy Chase climb where it intersects Foothill.
http://goo.gl/maps/Uy1oR

I also plan to ride Griffith Park and LA River on Sat afternoon if you're up for that. It would be a good one to be familiar with for your own quick rides after work.
Thanks. 8:00 am Sunday would be great. Saturday afternoon would work too. I was going to head over that way myself, but I am sure it would be better with someone that knows the area. What time were you thinking?
gmharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 11:28 PM   #8
f4rrest 
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo
Posts: 3,182
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmharle View Post
Thanks. 8:00 am Sunday would be great. Saturday afternoon would work too. I was going to head over that way myself, but I am sure it would be better with someone that knows the area. What time were you thinking?
Maybe around 1pm, but I'll have a better idea after some family commitments in the morning. Sending PM, so we can coordinate a little easier.
f4rrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 12:02 PM   #9
herbm
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
Posts: 4,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmharle View Post
Embassy Suites on Central

I rode by there on my commute to work....i did see a cyclist making a left off Central to the hotel....was that you?
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 09:55 PM   #10
gmharle
Member
Thread Starter
 
gmharle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Bikes: Pinarello Paris Carbon Giant TCR
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbm View Post
I rode by there on my commute to work....i did see a cyclist making a left off Central to the hotel....was that you?
It could have been. Red helmet and blue jersey? I had a pretty bad mechanical issue on my way out and had to come back. The replacement parts should be here tomorrow and I'll be ready for the weekend.
gmharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 09:37 AM   #11
herbm
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
Posts: 4,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmharle View Post
It could have been. Red helmet and blue jersey? I had a pretty bad mechanical issue on my way out and had to come back. The replacement parts should be here tomorrow and I'll be ready for the weekend.
Yes I think that was you....maybe 6:45 to 7ish...
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 09:39 AM   #12
PhotoJoe
Just Plain Slow
 
PhotoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes: Lynskey R230
Posts: 5,853
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Did my friends come find you? They said they would.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 08:49 PM   #13
gmharle
Member
Thread Starter
 
gmharle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Bikes: Pinarello Paris Carbon Giant TCR
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post
Did my friends come find you? They said they would.
They did! Thank you very much for putting me in touch.
gmharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 09:11 PM   #14
PhotoJoe
Just Plain Slow
 
PhotoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes: Lynskey R230
Posts: 5,853
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
You are welcome. Good group of people and know some really good rides.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-14, 05:00 PM   #15
poonkorama
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Bikes: 2013 Felt Z85, Late 70's Univega Sportour SS, 1999 Kona Muni-Mula HT
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post

Griffith Park and the LA River Trail are good. Super easy to get to from Glendale using Glenoaks Blvd. to Sonora. And/or ride the foothills in Glendale/Burbank by heading north on Brand Blvd to Kenneth and turn left.
Bike Ride Profile | 56 miles near Burbank | Times and Records | Strava

Angeles Crest Highway is best reached via Chevy Chase from Glendale. (Chevy Chase itself is a nice moderate climb.)
Avoid Angeles Crest during rush hours! No cell phone reception once you're in the mountains, best to save the GPX to your garmin and bring a printed map if you go alone.
I'll likely be doing something similar this Sunday with some coworkers at a very easy pace.
Bike Ride Profile | Chevy, ACH, BIg T, Hansen, Burbank loop near Burbank | Times and Records | Strava

Chevy Chase itself is a fun road, which you can take to the Rose Bowl. There is a fast group ride Tue and Thur nights 6pm at the Rose Bowl (10 laps, 30 mi).
Bike Ride Profile | commute + bowl + messenger bag near Burbank | Times and Records | Strava

La Tuna Canyon loop clockwise through Montrose to Glendale. In this one, I've combined Griffith Park and LA River as well. Of course you can split it up.
Avoid La Tuna Canyon during rush hours or late day weekends.
Bike Ride Profile | 53 miles near Burbank | Times and Records | Strava

Thanks for sharing these routes! I live in Northern California, but I grew up in the area, near Cumberland/Cleveland Rd, and my folks still live there. I plan to bring my bike down at some point on a future visit to the fam, so your Strava routes have given me some great ideas for where to ride. Last time I rode in Glendale/Pasadena was probably in the late 80's/early 90's as a teenager Cheers!
poonkorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 PM.