What's the best route for Burbank to Santa Barbara?
First, what's the best way to ride to Ventura from Burbank? I'm considering:
1. Up into Santa Clarita via The Old Road, then out the 126 (it looks sketchy where San Fernando Rd turns into The Old Road under the 5/14 freeway interchange).
2. Over the Santa Susana Pass into Simi Valley, then out the 118 (I've ridden Santa Susana Pass, and it's fine. I've driven the 118, looks "ok" but high speed and narrow).
3. Over the Santa Susana Pass into Simi Valley, then out Santa Rosa road to Camarillo, Ventura.
Ok, once in Ventura, what's the best way up to Santa Barbara? I'm considering:
1. up the coast, PCH (how's the section near Rincon Beach Park on the 101?)
2. through Ojai / Lake Casitas
Santa Rosa Rd is good. If you can figure out how to get to Calabasas, you can then take Agoura Rd to Potrero Rd, which is also nice and hassle-free for the most part. Though I have not been east of Calabasas and I'm unsure if there's a good route there. Ventura Blvd looks nasty for cyclists.
Also, how about simply taking PCH?
'08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
From Ventura to Santa Barbara, up the coast is great. Even with the construction it is doable. Ojai/Casitas adds climbing, distance and winding, narrow roads to the mix if that is what you are looking for.