Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Still learning oddjob2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North of Canada, Adirondacks, NNJ
    My Bikes
    Too many
    Posts
    5,757
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Accidents Will Happen

    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
    2014 Additions: 1985 Trek 560, 1992 Trek Multitrack 700 (my 2nd), 1994 Trek Carbon 2200, Peugeot PX-10, 1981 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, Miyata 912

  2. #2
    Retro Grouch onespeedbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    2,163
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your talking LA here! When I worked a traffic car in Rosemead, there was a very large first generation Asian population. It turns out as a long as you are in the country legally, you have the right to a driver's license, even if you don't speak English. Since there are no DMV tests in many of the Asian dialects, you are allowed to use a paid translator when talking the tests; pay them a little more and they also give you the answers (this came from a DMV representative). I remember pulling over a middle aged Asian woman driving a station wagon, for running a red light. As I approached her car, she exited her vehicle, got down on her knees in the middle of the street, and stared pleading with me in what was apparently her home language. There I was trying to lift this poor woman off her knees, while looking around hoping someone wasn't watching what was going on; apparently being detained in this woman's country by the police can be a horrific experience. Anyway I got her back in her car, she did have a valid drivers license and proof of Insurance so I wrote her the ticket, but OMG I was thinking, what happened was just nuts!
    Last edited by onespeedbiker; 11-30-14 at 12:02 AM.
    Chiunque tenti di scappare a queste regole dovrÓ mangiare un piatto largo di polenta vecchia di tre settimane e sarÓ schernito per questo, soprattutto se Ŕ straniero

  3. #3
    Senior Member Gary Fountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
    My Bikes
    Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.
    Posts
    2,248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lost count of the number of times I've been hit by cars, busses, trucks and even objects being thrown from these vehicles. It's also amazing just how many offenders just keep on driving - in fact, in my case, I think it's 100% of drivers that have kept on driving - I honestly can't remember one driver that has actually stopped to see if I was alright. Luckily I've only had one very serious accident.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jpaschall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    My Bikes
    1982 Trek 613, 1983 Trek 720, Windsor Clockwork
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This article is another reminder for me to never, ever read the comments section. Disgusting.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, those comments are very, very mild compared to many others I've read in threads on other discussion forums. Honestly, there are people out there who get homicidal when they see bicyclists on the road (I'm not exaggerating).

    As offensive as they are, the comments of these posters reflects their attitudes, their mind set, their paradigm. Get used to it. It's real. It could easily reflect the thinking of the guy driving the car that's along side you right now. A lot of the ill will is caused by cyclists, themselves.

    The attitudes reflect real driving problems caused by cyclists who DO NOT obey the rules of the road - all of them. That means stopping at STOP signs and putting your foot down on the road. It means riding as far to the right as is practicable. It means not riding single file when other vehicular traffic is on the roadway with you. Bicycle scoff-laws cause the cycling community a whole to look bad.

    I am lucky. My area within the Los Angeles Basin has very few hit and runs.
    Last edited by Bad Lag; 11-30-14 at 12:41 AM.

  6. #6
    Abuse Magnet arex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '85 Nishiki Colorado, '89 Raleigh Technium Frenzy
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good article.
    "I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." -- William Blake

  7. #7
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,718
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it is a sad testament to our society.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SS, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  8. #8
    iab
    iab is offline
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,313
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    I think it is a sad testament to our society.
    +1

    I thought we lived in a free country. I guess it is along as there are only cars on the road. But it is good to know if you are inconvenienced for upwards to 30 seconds its OK to maim and kill.

    A&S, here we come.

  9. #9
    Senior Member daf1009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    More than I did a year ago!
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    I think it is a sad testament to our society.
    +1 Particularly the comments section
    58 Raleigh Lenton Reg Harris Grand Prix, 62 Raleigh Lenton Blue Streak, 62 Raleigh Gran Sport, 70 Raleigh International, 72 Raleigh Professional, 72 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 73 Schwinn Super Sport, 80 Raleigh Super Course, 81 Miyata 1000, 85 Bianchi Veloce, 86 Raleigh Competition, 87 Team Miyata, 89 Masi Team 3V, 91 Tommasso SL-56, 92 Bridgestone RB-1, 92 Bridgestone RB-T, 93 Bridgestone XO-1, 05 Pinarello Surprise, 07 Novara Strada, 11 Raleigh Port Townsend, Royal Enfield

  10. #10
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm so glad I don't live in that armpit of a city

  11. #11
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daf1009 View Post
    ...
    OT: that signature of yours sure takes up a lot of real estate on my screen...

  12. #12
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    Your talking LA here! When I worked a traffic car in Rosemead, there was a very large first generation Asian population. It turns out as a long as you are in the country legally, you have the right to a driver's license, even if you don't speak English. Since there are no DMV tests in many of the Asian dialects, you are allowed to use a paid translator when talking the tests; pay them a little more and they also give you the answers (this came from a DMV representative). I remember pulling over a middle aged Asian woman driving a station wagon, for running a red light. As I approached her car, she exited her vehicle, got down on her knees in the middle of the street, and stared pleading with me in what was apparently her home language. There I was trying to lift this poor woman off her knees, while looking around hoping someone wasn't watching what was going on; apparently being detained in this woman's country by the police can be a horrific experience. Anyway I got her back in her car, she did have a valid drivers license and proof of Insurance so I wrote her the ticket, but OMG I was thinking, what happened was just nuts!
    So it's all non English speaking Asians doing all this mess. Got it.

  13. #13
    iab
    iab is offline
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,313
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  14. #14
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because Tampa and St. Pete are two VERY different cities. on a scale of 1-10 on bike friendliness I'd give Tampa a 2 and St. Pete a 7

  15. #15
    iab
    iab is offline
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,313
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
    Because Tampa and St. Pete are two VERY different cities. on a scale of 1-10 on bike friendliness I'd give Tampa a 2 and St. Pete a 7
    You may not know this, but LA is quite a large city. There are areas in LA where bike friendliness is a 7. Other areas, not so much. Pretty much the same wherever you go.

  16. #16
    Fat Guy on a Little Bike KonAaron Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Two wheeled ones
    Posts
    12,644
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why is this a c/v thread? This seems like a/s to me.

    I've never ridden in LA, but I rode in Tampa, Sarasota and st Pete 15-20 years ago. Tampa was outright deadly. St Pete was better, but very small. Sarasota was actually lovely for riding.

  17. #17
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iab View Post
    You may not know this, but LA is quite a large city.
    That's exactly what makes me glad I don't live there. Too many people, too many cars, just not my cup of tea. Both St. Pete and LA are ranked as "bronze medal" bike friendly cities by the League of American Cyclists, so your assessment is likely true. I like the small town feel of St. Pete though. I'm not a big city guy.

  18. #18
    Fat Guy on a Little Bike KonAaron Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Two wheeled ones
    Posts
    12,644
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is Janis landing still there?

  19. #19
    Retro Grouch onespeedbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    2,163
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
    So it's all non English speaking Asians doing all this mess. Got it.
    Oh come on cobrabyte; this is an example of whats wrong on the LA (and many other) streets. The what it "all" is, is that most car drivers don't accept bikes as alternate transportation, rather bicycles in the US are still viewed as children's toys. My example was to show the lack of seriousness that is given to allow people to drive. If one doesn't know the traffic laws and/or understand the language of some traffic signs, especially those that protect bicyclists, how are bicyclists supposed to be safe on the roads? The fact that I was telling relating an event about an Asian was only a reflection of the demographics of the area, not what you seemed to interpret as a racists remark.
    Last edited by onespeedbiker; 11-30-14 at 11:43 AM.
    Chiunque tenti di scappare a queste regole dovrÓ mangiare un piatto largo di polenta vecchia di tre settimane e sarÓ schernito per questo, soprattutto se Ŕ straniero

  20. #20
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
    Is Janis landing still there?
    Indeed it is. It's called Jannus Live now and has been re-vamped but still has the large courtyard concert venue. If you haven't been to St. Pete since the 90's you'd be in for a surprise at how much the downtown area has changed. It's a great mix of art galleries, bars & restaurants and parks. There's a number of great breweries that have opened up in the craft beer boom, too. Downtown was a bit of a dump when I moved here in '95, and the city has since focused on returning it into a nice destination for residents & visitors. There's some debate as to what direction should be focused on. Some want to keep it quiet and preserve the historical charm, while others want to turn it into a yuppie playground a la Miami with high rise condos and high end retail. It's a bit of a mixed bag currently.

  21. #21
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    Oh come on cobrabyte; this is an example of whats wrong on the LA (and many other) streets. The what it "all" is, is that most car drivers don't accept bikes as alternate transportation, rather bicycles in the US are still viewed as children's toys. My example was to show the lack of seriousness that is given to allow people to drive. If one doesn't know the traffic laws and/or understand the language of some traffic signs, especially those that protect bicyclists, how are bicyclists supposed to be safe on the roads.
    That's a valid concern but I'm not gonna lie your last post came off kind of racist.

  22. #22
    Ride Fast and Ride Safe! gioscinelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    85 Gios Torino Professional-95 Cinelli Supercorse-06 Colnago C50-71 Peugeot PX 10-74 Peugeot Mixtie
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two types of vehicles on the road that drivers don't see or ignore from ignorance or resentment. They are motorcyclist and bicyclist. It's a pity, but that's what is the reality of riding a bike on city streets! The best defense is to view all cars as the enemy
    85 Gios Professional - 95 Cinelli SC - 06 Colnago C 50 - Peugeot PX 10 - Peugeot Mixtie

  23. #23
    Fat Guy on a Little Bike KonAaron Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Two wheeled ones
    Posts
    12,644
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
    Indeed it is. It's called Jannus Live now and has been re-vamped but still has the large courtyard concert venue. If you haven't been to St. Pete since the 90's you'd be in for a surprise at how much the downtown area has changed. It's a great mix of art galleries, bars & restaurants and parks. There's a number of great breweries that have opened up in the craft beer boom, too. Downtown was a bit of a dump when I moved here in '95, and the city has since focused on returning it into a nice destination for residents & visitors. There's some debate as to what direction should be focused on. Some want to keep it quiet and preserve the historical charm, while others want to turn it into a yuppie playground a la Miami with high rise condos and high end retail. It's a bit of a mixed bag currently.
    I was in the area in the mid-90s, and the area had seen better years. It was still better than tampa, but that's a low bar. It had an artist community even then.

  24. #24
    OCD Moderator cb400bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    Posts
    8,029
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved from C&V to So Cal.
    Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

    Viscount Aerospace Pro Trek 770 Cannondale Synapse

  25. #25
    Retro Grouch onespeedbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    2,163
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
    That's a valid concern but I'm not gonna lie your last post came off kind of racist.
    Yes it did; my bad.
    Chiunque tenti di scappare a queste regole dovrÓ mangiare un piatto largo di polenta vecchia di tre settimane e sarÓ schernito per questo, soprattutto se Ŕ straniero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •