Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Borrowing or renting a tandem in Bellingham, WA

    Hello!

    Wife and I want to do the tandem rally up in Bellingham, WA this July. Unfortunately our tandem doesn't have couplers so we can't take it with us on the plane.

    Is anyone aware of a place that might rent a nicer tandem (with gears, maybe drop bars, etc) to us up there? Or maybe a couple who'd let us borrow one with a suitable security deposit, etc? We tried contacting the tandem club up there, but no luck quite yet.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
    Posts
    10,762
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do NOT need couples to have your tandem fly with you on a plane . . .
    Put it in a tandem size box (or 2 single bike boxes spliced together) and pay the fee.
    Been there, done that.

  3. #3
    Clipless in Coeur d'Alene twocicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Tandem, Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, other misc Road & MTB singles
    Posts
    1,540
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tegnamo,

    Unless your only choice is to fly on a small regional prop plane, most every other jet will accommodate an uncoupled tandem.

    For example, here is the United Airlines policy: Traveling with Sports Equipment | United Airlines

    As I recall, UAL's bike box limits are the size of the smallest BikePro tandem case, or in the order of 72" x 34" x 10". UAL also limits bike box weight to under 100lbs. Other carriers will have their own limits and fee schedules. Zona's point... anything from a cardboard box and up (in cost) should do fine.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great to hear. In the future we might do that. Unfortunately the other caveat is that we are flying to the east coast after Bellingham. And from the east coast we fly straight home to California.

    We only need the tandem in Bellingham ultimately. As such, just being able to temporarily have access to one would seemingly be ideal unless there's something we haven't considered yet. I mean, we could technically ship it back to California after the rally, before we go to the east coast, but that might be pricey.

  5. #5
    rlp
    rlp is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Thousand Oaks
    My Bikes
    Franco Kanan, Santana Arriva and Beyond Tandems
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The NWTR web site list Tandem Diversity as a source for rentals. The other option could be to fly your bike up and then ship it home to your local LBS and they would more than likely store it until you get home from the east coast. There are shipping vendors listed on the NWTR web site. You can also find some good general information about flying with tandems on the Santana web site.

    BTW, We'll see you up there!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke with Mark at Tandem Diversity today, actually. Nice guy and tried very hard to see if his remaining bikes might fit us, but no dice

  7. #7
    I'd rather be riding DKMcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    My Bikes
    Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Klein Palamino, Trek 510
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the pricing at Bikeflights.com. We are planning to ship our coupled tandem from NC to the rally instead of taking on the flight. It's a little more than the bag check fees and a lot less hassle.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Surprised to see it's only $68 each way. Definitely on par with renting for a few days. So...it's not UPS or FedEx, but rather some sort of courier or whatever? Does the package get handled a lot? I'd like to pack it myself if possible...

  9. #9
    I'd rather be riding DKMcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    My Bikes
    Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Klein Palamino, Trek 510
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Bikeflights.com twice and both times it was Fedex ground. I packed it myself and took it to local Fedex store.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Korea
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac Pro, Canonndale RT1000, Burley Samba, BikeFriday Two'sDay
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is Spinlister.com. It's kind of like airbnb if you are familiar with it. If you are flying into Seattle there are a couple of tandems listed there that you can rent. I haven't used the site and we're not renting our bikes but figured someone maybe interested in trying it out.

  11. #11
    Senior Member swc7916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Machias, WA
    My Bikes
    Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size do you need? We have a spare tandem we're not using.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swc7916 View Post
    What size do you need? We have a spare tandem we're not using.
    Thank you for offering. We basically need a small or medium, depending on actual manufacturer sizing. I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'. Ideally <30" standover for the captain (me). Reach is usually my biggest issue, since I think I have short arms/torso/etc. What make, model and size is your spare tandem?

  13. #13
    Senior Member swc7916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Machias, WA
    My Bikes
    Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tegnamo View Post
    Thank you for offering. We basically need a small or medium, depending on actual manufacturer sizing. I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'. Ideally <30" standover for the captain (me). Reach is usually my biggest issue, since I think I have short arms/torso/etc. What make, model and size is your spare tandem?
    It's a Rodriguez small frame with 26" wheels, with 170mm cranks in front and 165mm cranks in back (my wife has short legs). I'm sure that it would fit great; you'd have to figure out if the reach works for yourself. We're about 65 miles south of Bellingham and we're not going to the rally (even if we were, we don't have the means to carry two tandems) - how would you plan to transport it?
    2011 Rodriguez Rohloff tandem
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Lite sport/touring

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the distance thing is an issue. We weren't intending to rent a car at all, and even if we did it would have to be a minivan or something to fit your tandem. We do appreciate the offer nonetheless!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roseville/Folsom
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1, Trek 7300, Electra Townie 21D
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tegnamo View Post
    Hello!

    Wife and I want to do the tandem rally up in Bellingham, WA this July. Unfortunately our tandem doesn't have couplers so we can't take it with us on the plane.

    Is anyone aware of a place that might rent a nicer tandem (with gears, maybe drop bars, etc) to us up there? Or maybe a couple who'd let us borrow one with a suitable security deposit, etc? We tried contacting the tandem club up there, but no luck quite yet.

    Thanks!
    Tegnamo,

    Where are you located?
    Maybe your bike could hitch a ride...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrooom3440 View Post
    Tegnamo,

    Where are you located?
    Maybe your bike could hitch a ride...
    We're pretty far away, down in San Diego, California! Flying up to Seattle and then hopping a small plane over to Bellingham it looks like. So even if we got the tandem on the big plane, I fear the small plane wouldn't take it...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roseville/Folsom
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1, Trek 7300, Electra Townie 21D
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tegnamo View Post
    We're pretty far away, down in San Diego, California! Flying up to Seattle and then hopping a small plane over to Bellingham it looks like. So even if we got the tandem on the big plane, I fear the small plane wouldn't take it...
    San Diego... well you managed to max out the south scale for California

    Here is what I was thinking: I am in the Sacramento area and am thinking of driving up and making a bit bigger vacation of it. And once driving... well the truck really does not care how many bikes are on it.

    Dunno if there is anybody else down your way crazy enough to drive who might haul an extra bike or not?

    <edit:>
    Shoot once you fly to Seattle you are only a short drive away... if it was merely the small plane factor I would just grab a car and drive the rest of the way. I prefer to be on my own gear that much But you had said you were heading a different direction after instead of back home so...
    Last edited by vrooom3440; 05-27-15 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added info...

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrooom3440 View Post
    <edit:>
    Shoot once you fly to Seattle you are only a short drive away... if it was merely the small plane factor I would just grab a car and drive the rest of the way. I prefer to be on my own gear that much But you had said you were heading a different direction after instead of back home so...
    Yeah, that's the big thing. I mean, we could fly up with it and ship it back, but I figure why not just have it shipped both ways in that case. Thanks for offering some help nonetheless.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Louis Park MN
    My Bikes
    Mead Ranger '24 Colson tandem '38-'39 Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we may be able to help you. *We are attending the rally & we have a Bike Friday tandem that we could bring along. *We are 5'8" & 5'4" & the Bike Friday is very adjustable so if you do not mind riding a 20" wheel it should work for you. *At first it feels a little odd but after riding a few blocks it feels close to normal. *If you are interested, send us a private message. *We will be gone from June 8 to June 11. *

  20. #20
    Senior Member engineerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Land of Eternal Winter
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlp View Post
    The NWTR web site list Tandem Diversity as a source for rentals. The other option could be to fly your bike up and then ship it home to your local LBS and they would more than likely store it until you get home from the east coast. There are shipping vendors listed on the NWTR web site. You can also find some good general information about flying with tandems on the Santana web site.

    BTW, We'll see you up there!
    We'll be there, too.

    Look for the Burley Duet with safety-yellow panniers.

    Bob

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Louis Park MN
    My Bikes
    Mead Ranger '24 Colson tandem '38-'39 Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Tegnamo, I do not have enough posts to send you a private message. *I'm afraid that your plans & ours are in conflict. *We will not be able to provide you with our Bike Friday tandem.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeadMan2 View Post
    Sorry Tegnamo, I do not have enough posts to send you a private message. *I'm afraid that your plans & ours are in conflict. *We will not be able to provide you with our Bike Friday tandem.
    Hey, no worries! I really appreciate the offer!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We wound up shipping our tandem via bikeflights.com. About $70 each way, which included $1200 of insurance (our tandem didn't cost much to begin with). Packed it all into a Co-Motion box. Tight fit, considering Co-Motion ships its wheels in a separate box. But our frame is a small, so I think that's part of the reason we got away with it. Fingers cross it arrives in good condition!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •