Hello there. I am an avid road rider who has [apparently] convinced the significant other to get into tandem-ing.
Which means that we are now in the market for a tandem, preferably one that will still make it possible for the children to attend college (excluding, that is, my need for ridiculously priced road bikes). So, just looking around, a few questions:
1. Looking at mid-range tandems ready to ride out of the box - which here in Europe is the 3,000 Euro-ish range (2,990 for a Cannondale, waiting for the price on the T2000, probably 500 Euro more).
2. I notice that the Cannondale has disc brakes, while the Trek does not - the C-dale seems to have a poorer component mix (mainly 105) while the Trek is better equipped with Ultegra stuff. Do I really need disc brakes? I am 90kg and the wife is 60kg-ish. We would work up to rolling hills riding.
3. Why all this Shimano stuff. I am Italian. I ride Campagnolo. Is this an issue?
4. Any specific negative or positive comments on either of these two tandems?
5. This week I will enquire with my local frame-makers (Vicini, Vetta etc) and will let you know what the local producers tell me!
Thanks for any and all info for a tandem wannabie/newbie!