User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Cannondale Road Tandem, 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cannondale 2007 Road Tandem vs. Trek T1000

My partner and I are planning on buying our first tandem.

Any opinions on the differences between the two bikes listed in the subject? It seems that the cannondale has better components for slightly more money.

We are 5'5" captain and 5'2" stoker, and were planning on M/S Cannondale or 55/44 Trek.

Thanks so much for all the help!!!

Charlie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Analogous to making a decision between a Toyota Camry LE vs. Honda Accord....

Go with the brand and model that appeals to you the most, strikes you as the best value, and rides the best assuming you have the opportunity for a test ride.

Other first time buyer information can be found here:
    http://www.thetandemlink.com/Learnin...l#anchor356041

My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Trek Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trek or Cannondale?

We love our Trek 1000, did our first 40 miles for 2007 today in a wonderful January day in NC.

Put 2000+ miles on it from March of 2006 to now and have had no problems that the dealer didn't promptly handle.

Have some friends in our club that have Cannondales and they will swear by them but you probably won't go wrong with either.

Enjoy your new tandem!!

Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trek has some fancy wheels ... and no disk brakes.

I like the disks and standard wheels. ... if I ever want to go back to std pulls with t/a's i have that option too.

I fought with the same decison.

how do you plan to use the bike. tours or club rides only. we would like to tour some day.
    Kelsey Bockmuller

06 lightspeed teramo
    06 lemond etape (wife's ride)
    06 cannondale tandem
    odds and ends.
    96 gt backwoods
    01 Trek 2300
    3spd fugi on a 333 hub
    4 or 5 other frames waiting to become something.
    6 and 7 just added.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw we are in the atlanta area with a m/s cannon. if you are around and want a test ride.
    Kelsey Bockmuller

06 lightspeed teramo
    06 lemond etape (wife's ride)
    06 cannondale tandem
    odds and ends.
    96 gt backwoods
    01 Trek 2300
    3spd fugi on a 333 hub
    4 or 5 other frames waiting to become something.
    6 and 7 just added.

My Bikes
    Colnago C40 HP, Aegis Trident, Cannondale tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vanilla and french vanilla.

My Bikes
    Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are excellent. The Cannondale might be a slightly better value, but I would ride both and go with whichever fits the best. As for the comments about them being generic, I would not worry. If you want to spend a lot more money you can.
    Time to Ride...

My Bikes
    Tandems - Trek 2000, Cannondale MT1000 Road - Trek 5700 MT - Bridgestone Zip
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a Cannondale MT1000 about 14 years ago. This was our first tandem and served us well over the years. This past year we purchased a new T2000 as a college graduation present to ourselves ... our daughters graduated and we celebrated the end of tuition bills with a new tandem. We now enjoy both tandems ... the Cannondale for short touring on Cape Cod and the islands, as well as local bike trails, and the Trek for it's light weight, speed and comfort. What ever your selection may be, I know you will be pleased with either tandem.
    Just a note ... at 5'5" and 5'2" I would advise checking again on the size of the tandem. The Cannondale medium frame and the Trek 55 seem a lbit large to me.

My Bikes
    Trek T-1000 tandem, Specialized Allez Elite, Dolce,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our T1000 a year ago and have loved it. We did have to take a 6 hour drive and stay the weekend to test ride it in Dallas at Richardson Bike Mart. We only live 79 miles from Houston and not one dealer their had one in stock. They sure did want us to buy without ever having rode a tandem before though!

We did test ride several other tandem (santana, co-motion) but they were definetly out of our budget and honestly we did not notice that much of a difference. The 1000 was the best fit and price for us.

Have only had a few shifting problems on hills while riding the MS150 from Houston to Austin. Other than that it has been great.

My Bikes
    Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really enjoy our T2000, a Shimano Flight Deck can help a little if you are in the habit of looking down to see what gear you are in on your single.
    Time to Ride...

GO Floyd Landis, Go! Linda & Lew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Sears Tandem (Free Spirit), Cannondale Tandem, Cannondale R-300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How True!

We went with the 06 Cannondale. I also have a Cannondale R300 that I love. I guess our final decision was based on the bike being built in the USA and of course it helped that we also live in the state where they are built
    R 300 Cannondale
    Early 70's Free Spirit Tandem
    2006 Cannondale Tandem

My Bikes
    2007 Cannondale Road Tandem, 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got it!

Hello all,
    We finally got our M/S Cannondale Road Tandem 2007. So much fun!
    I'm 5'5", and stoker is 5'2". The one difficulty is that I'm so short that my seat is rather low, which limits how high we can raise stoker's handlebars. She's having some reach issues.

Any ideas? We've already lowered her seat a bit (sacrificing ideal fit for her knee bend, just as a transition- I plan to slowly raise the seat back to ideal fit), and I've fully extended the rear handlebar. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Charlie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a suggestion.

I do have a question though. Does the tandem fit you? Did your shop fit you to the bike comfortably?

My Bikes
    2003 Fondriest U107(him) 2003 Marin San Marino (her) Meridian 26" wheel "enduro" tandem; coupled 2007 Zona plastic tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Charlie,

Enjoy the new tandem.

There are surely some stoker stems out there that would rectify your problem. You might check with any of a number of tandem speciality shops. The Precision tandems catalog (no affiliation with the firm, I just find their website useful) shows a "handlebar riser" that would give about 2" of additional height, and a "super hi-riser adjustable stoker stem assembly", that while pricey, could work. Assuming your stokers handlebars can be behind your saddle and must not be beneath it, either would work.

Some of the older (circa 2002) Raliegh ATB-type tandems utilized a stoker stem that allowed you to attach a conventional handlebar stem ....thus allowing you to vary the height and reach with by using different length "aheadset" type stems. I found this system annoying when trying to fit a tandem for small children, as bringing the bars futher back inevitably made them higher. For you, it may be just the ticket. Your local Raliegh dealer may bes able to order this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charbergs
    The one difficulty is that I'm so short that my seat is rather low, which limits how high we can raise stoker's handlebars.
    Nothing new here, just some visuals and additional details. As already suggested, contact one of the tandem speciality dealers to obtain a "hi-rise" replacement boom. This is basically a straight shaft that replaces your existing stoker boom with handlebar clamp. You then install the appropriate size standard threadless handlebar stem as "the riser". You adjust the height of the riser by using a longer or shorter threadless stem. You don't need to buy the entire "hi-rise" boom assembly as you've already got the base that attaches to the captain's seat post. Just tell them you've got a Cannondale tandem and they'll know the correct boom diameter for the extension piece.

With a nod to TandemsEast.com's Web site...

1. You select the right length of extension (~$30) to go into your base:

2. You find a standard, threadless stem that's long enough to raise the bar to where your stoker needs it to be... again, any stem sized for your extension (1" or 1.125") will work and the better tandem dealers will have a wide assortment of lengths and rises:

3. This is what it looks like when all is said and done.

There is also an adapter called the ASX-50 that costs about $45-$50 which you clamp onto your existing stoker boom's handlebar clamp to provide a maximum 2" of rise that can be rotated up and back.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 03-16-07 at 06:52 AM.

SDS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the ASX-50 with success, and I have recommended it to others who have been satisfied. Because it rotates everywhichaway in a radius around the center, it is a very adaptable modification. I would caution that the "end bolt" threads are a little short, and it is best tightened, center bolts first, to prevent stripping the end bolt threads.

Normal road bike fit puts the handlebars about 1.5" to 2" below the top of the saddle, and a 5'2" cyclist/stoker will have about 22" between the center of the seatpost and the center of the handlebars. This doesn't matter if the stoker has lumbar disk/vertebrae problems, limited flexibility, or isn't in shape. Then you likely have to raise the handlebars and even shorten the reach too. That transfers weight onto the bottom, though, so over time you might need to go back to a more traditional fit.

My Bikes
    C'dale tandem, Specialized Roubaix,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I compared the two this weekend and ended up buying the Cannnondale. It was spec'd better for the same price. Specifically, it came with Ultegra brifters in place of the Trek's Tiagra, and it comes with disk brakes.

Cyclist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you have an opportunity to ride both of them? If so, I'd be very interested in your impressions. On paper the Trek has a nicer, more vertically compliant frame and should be the lighter of the two (the C'dale discs themselves weigh more than caliper brakes and should be paired with a heftier fork). Did the bikes compare differently "in practice" than they do in theory? Inquiring minds...

My Bikes
    C'dale tandem, Specialized Roubaix,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have a chance to ride both of them. I couldn't find a Trek tandem in the area. That was also part of my decision.