Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-07, 09:02 PM   #1
garysol1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 10,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can't wait for warm

I am a year round cyclist. As long as it is dry and the temp is somewhere south of 30 I am good for a ride. My Stoker on the other hand.......if it is not on the right side of mid 60's my dear wife is getting on the bike. I have this dreadful feeling that come spring, it will be like starting all over for her. She has been doing a spin class through winter so hopefully that will help her get back into the swing of things pretty quickly.
Thanks for listening....I feel better now
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR8 USA Built
Trek Stache 7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 09:52 PM   #2
matthew_deaner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Spencer, IN
Bikes: Trek 5200
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son (who is my stoker) is that way too. He's 10, but is serious about cycling. He spent some time on my trainer in December but has learned to hate it just as much as me. He feels that the Carmichael training videos are too demanding and he gets bored with tempo work while watching spongebob; etc. We've still been getting in about 30-miles a week on the tandem, but that's a shadow of the mileage of our warm weather riding and he hates the cold. And he also likes to ride his single bike, but doesn't like it in cold weather because the wind hits him more directly than when he is stoker. Plus, he gets to be lazy when he is stoker (and he often is lazy, but I keep my mouth shut, it's important that he have a good time).

A few days ago, he came up to me, and with a really serious look on his face, said, "Daddy, I haven't been riding enough. I'm not hardcore anymore, and I think I'm getting fat. I want to climb some hills on my Giant." So we aired up the tires on his Giant TCR and went out in the 25-degree weather and tackled a couple of moderate hills. Thirty minutes later, and he was gasping for air and ready to go home. I was cold from not being able to work hard enough to keep my core temp up. I was reminded of how much more I like riding tandem with my son versus single bikes. I get to work hard and stay warm, he gets to be lazy and have a windbreak...
matthew_deaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 12:36 PM   #3
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
While it is a bit warmer riding in the stoker position in the winter, it's also a bit warmer riding in that position in the summer!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 02:50 PM   #4
djembob02
Senior Member
 
djembob02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Orleans
Bikes: Cannondale Road Tandem, Rodbikes Belt Drive Fixed Gear
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In agreement here!
The little one and I have been on the trainer about 3 days a week (about an hour each). We don't use the training DVD's, instead we ride to Dora the Explorer, Cars, or some kids program. Because she is only allowed a limited amount of TV while not on the bike, she likes getting to watch some extra TV (even if its on the bike). This last week, I've really been feeling her push every once in a while. I look back to see what's going on and she looks up at me with a huge smile.

Having said this, my rear stoker hasn't been on in weeks, and she has actually said she wants to go riding outside! She won't ride much under 60's and she isn't motivated by Dora.

Can't wait for some warm weather for some good old family riding.
djembob02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 03:25 PM   #5
masiman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_deaner
My son (who is my stoker) is that way too. He's 10, but is serious about cycling. He spent some time on my trainer in December but has learned to hate it just as much as me. He feels that the Carmichael training videos are too demanding and he gets bored with tempo work while watching spongebob; etc. We've still been getting in about 30-miles a week on the tandem, but that's a shadow of the mileage of our warm weather riding and he hates the cold. And he also likes to ride his single bike, but doesn't like it in cold weather because the wind hits him more directly than when he is stoker. Plus, he gets to be lazy when he is stoker (and he often is lazy, but I keep my mouth shut, it's important that he have a good time).

A few days ago, he came up to me, and with a really serious look on his face, said, "Daddy, I haven't been riding enough. I'm not hardcore anymore, and I think I'm getting fat. I want to climb some hills on my Giant." So we aired up the tires on his Giant TCR and went out in the 25-degree weather and tackled a couple of moderate hills. Thirty minutes later, and he was gasping for air and ready to go home. I was cold from not being able to work hard enough to keep my core temp up. I was reminded of how much more I like riding tandem with my son versus single bikes. I get to work hard and stay warm, he gets to be lazy and have a windbreak...
LOL Deaner,

A match made in heaven. I liked your write up.
masiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 04:09 PM   #6
garysol1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 10,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djembob02
The little one and I have been on the trainer about 3 days a week

So you have the tandem on a trainer? Hummmmm..I have never thought about that. I ride rollers on my single bike but I do have a fork stand for the rollers that I could mount the tandem into. Great idea djembob02...Thanks
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR8 USA Built
Trek Stache 7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 07:17 PM   #7
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,695
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
We too cant wait for spring and summer. We are participating in a time trial on February 17 and the Solvang Century on March 10th. For dealing with the winter weather, we have raingear, fenders and rain bikes. We are training outdoors as much as possible unless the weather is really bad. We also do spin classes. It is forecast to start raining this Thursday and continue through the weekend until Tuesday; on go the rain jackets. Hopefully, the weather will be reasonable enough to take out the tandem.

Presently, we are skiing at Deer Valley, UT. We skied in freezing rain and fog yesterday (it was horrible) but today was beautiful; sunny, 53 degrees and no wind. The next couple of days will be good with weather coming in Thursday and Friday. Deer Valley is okay and the skiing is good but the base is marginal. We have no idea whether skiing will count as training toward our time trial (probably not) but we will be back in the saddle for a couple of training sessions prior to February 17th.
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 09:06 AM   #8
djembob02
Senior Member
 
djembob02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Orleans
Bikes: Cannondale Road Tandem, Rodbikes Belt Drive Fixed Gear
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, the triplet is on the trainer, here's a couple pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM2204a.JPG (95.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg bikea.JPG (26.6 KB, 54 views)
djembob02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 10:51 AM   #9
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Warmer temps on the way . . .
It was 80 degrees yesterday in Tucson and riding in shorts/jerseys. Warmup is headed east; get ready!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 11:08 AM   #10
TandemGeek
hors category
 
TandemGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 7,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Warmup is headed east; get ready!
Really.... Has there been a change in the Jet Stream?

Despite the predicted high of 51*, it's 34* at noon here in Atlanta, Georgia.

Although forecasters & Meterologiests rarely get the forecast for the following week right, and often times miss it even for the next day (and like investment advisors, never admit they're clueless), here's what we're looking forward to in terms of temperatures for the next 10 days:

Today, Feb 6 = 51/36
Wed, Feb 7 = 57/37
Thu, Feb 8 = 52/33
Fri, Feb 9 = 43/25
Sat, Feb 10 = 46/25
Sun, Feb 11 = 51/30
Mon, Feb 12 = 53/41
Tue, Feb 13 = 48/38
Wed, Feb 14 = 58/36
Thu, Feb 15 = 55/37

And, interestingly enough, this is absolutely normal....

Feb Ave High: 55F
Feb Ave Low: 31F
Record High: 80F (1989)
Record Low: -2F (1996)

March Ave High: 64F
March Ave Low: 38F
Record High: 86F (1995)
Record Low: 7F (1960)

Last edited by TandemGeek; 02-06-07 at 11:17 AM.
TandemGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 11:18 AM   #11
ElRey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, Aegis Trident, Cannondale tandem
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's the good news: if you train a lot in bad weather, you'll stomp all them lightweights who don't when race conditions turn bad. Having said that, now that I don't race big time anymore I try to keep from going out when it's under 20.
ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 11:28 AM   #12
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Weathermen and investor advisors are prognosticators . . . 'guessing' what's coming!
Well, a couple weeks ago we even had snow in Tucson; our coldest winter since 1979. Temps got down to 22 (yes, above zero) but it warmed up into low 40s.
Having lived, and survived, 40 below zero we shouldn't be complaining
Spring has arrived here with the first succullent cactus already blooming. Going for a tandem toot at 11-ish and taking Kay out for lunch al fresco.
Sending y'all some of our excess sunshine . . .

Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandm
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 02:28 PM   #13
garysol1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 10,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rode 50 miles today in Memphis with the temps nudging 60degrees. Thankfully we had a steady 20mph wind with gusts to 30 just to remind us that it is still winter.
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR8 USA Built
Trek Stache 7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 08:56 PM   #14
Dobe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is our forcast (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada) for the next few days. I guess it'll be a while until I can get the tandem on the road again. At least we have had lots of snow and the cross-country skiing will be good if it warms up a bit.

TONIGHT Cloudy periods
Temp. -29C Wind 5 km/h NW P.O.P. 10%

TOMORROW MORNING Cloudy periods
Temp. -28C Wind 5 km/h N P.O.P. 10%

TOMORROW AFTERNOON Variable cloudiness
Temp. -22C Wind 10 km/h NW P.O.P. 20%

TOMORROW EVENING Variable cloudiness
Temp. -25C Wind 5 km/h W P.O.P. 20%

Long Term Forecast

Thursday, Feb 8 Mainly cloudy
High -21C Low -30C P.O.P. 30%

Friday, Feb 9 Mainly sunny
High -21C Low -27C P.O.P. 0%

Saturday, Feb 10 Mainly sunny
High -22C Low -27C P.O.P. 0%
Dobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 09:54 PM   #15
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,695
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobe
Here is our forcast (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada) for the next few days. I guess it'll be a while until I can get the tandem on the road again. At least we have had lots of snow and the cross-country skiing will be good if it warms up a bit.
Yes, but...you have Saskatoon Berry Pie which is totally yummy that makes up for a lot of snow.
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 10:26 PM   #16
Red Rider
Don't mince words
 
Red Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Posts: 6,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoftherings
We too cant wait for spring and summer. We are participating in a time trial on February 17 and the Solvang Century on March 10th. For dealing with the winter weather, we have raingear, fenders and rain bikes. We are training outdoors as much as possible unless the weather is really bad. We also do spin classes. It is forecast to start raining this Thursday and continue through the weekend until Tuesday; on go the rain jackets. Hopefully, the weather will be reasonable enough to take out the tandem.

Presently, we are skiing at Deer Valley, UT. We skied in freezing rain and fog yesterday (it was horrible) but today was beautiful; sunny, 53 degrees and no wind. The next couple of days will be good with weather coming in Thursday and Friday. Deer Valley is okay and the skiing is good but the base is marginal. We have no idea whether skiing will count as training toward our time trial (probably not) but we will be back in the saddle for a couple of training sessions prior to February 17th.
Hey, we'll be in Solvang, too! It'll be my second time, captain's first time, and first time on the tandem. Our friends & I rode last year; what an introduction to a century! Can't wait to see what we get this year.

We're headed to Palm Springs this weekend -- it was 82 or thereabouts yesterday -- sounds pretty sweet to me. Good luck in the rain this weekend.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 10:29 PM   #17
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
While tandeming in 82 degree weather today in Tucson, AZ chatted with some nice folks from James Bay (French speaking/Quebecois) that were cycling and enjoying the sunshine here. Suggest you folk from Saskatoon come and join them for a warm up!
Heard all about Saskatoon/Saskatchewan winter weather from my dad, who in 1912, worked laying the Trans-Canada railroad in that neck of the woods! He tought it was almost 'balmy' in Winnipeg!
Keep them tandem tires aired up . . . spring will follow winter . . .
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 05:52 AM   #18
ElRey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, Aegis Trident, Cannondale tandem
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dobe, aren't there any roads heading south out of Saskatchewan????
ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 07:29 AM   #19
Xanti Andia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Trek T100, Schwinn Fastback Comp, Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going on a 40 km night ride through the city of Buenos Aires with the Devotosdelpedal. An anarchic band of mountain bikes, 30-40 bikes. http://www.devotosdelpedal.com.ar/ph...smiercoles.jpg, has three rides a week on now traditional routes layed out years ago by original members that nobdoy remembers.

Ours will be the only tandem, might as well be a flying saucer. Should be a pleasant evening in the high 70's.

Had to go back to 38 mm tires, the 25 mm Kevlar beaded Maxxis did not work out, every other ride we'd have a flat after hitting the hard edge of a good bump. Need to get back to the US to find some tire in the middle of these two sets, the Maxxis will have to go to my road bike.
Xanti Andia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 09:35 AM   #20
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Ola!
We run the Maxxis 25mm on our road tandem with good results (Detonnators or Re-Fuse folders). The Re-Fuse are a bit more tolerant to punctures. We live in the Sonoran Desert so we have more occasion for flats than most folks!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 10:59 AM   #21
Xanti Andia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Trek T100, Schwinn Fastback Comp, Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Ola!
We run the Maxxis 25mm on our road tandem with good results (Detonnators or Re-Fuse folders). The Re-Fuse are a bit more tolerant to punctures. We live in the Sonoran Desert so we have more occasion for flats than most folks!
Hello Zona.

Ours are Maxxis Columbiere, problem was not puncture from a foreign object intrussion, it was two little holes as if the tire had pinched the tube due to improper mounting, but after the third time with careful mounting I gave up. Every time it was when we hit the sharp edge of a bump. Maybe we are just to heavy, 310 lbs team with a heavy bike, 50 lbs with racks gadgets bags etc, maybe my gage does not read the presure and it was underinflated.
Xanti Andia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 11:29 AM   #22
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Columbieres are a bit on the light/racy side!
Sometimes running the lighter/narrower tire up front works fine (no offense to the stoker! . . . less weight on the front wheel) and run a Re-Fuse on the rear?
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 07:00 PM   #23
TandemGeek
hors category
 
TandemGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 7,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, how'd the weather guessers do....???

What they predicted:

Sun, Feb 11 = 51/30
Mon, Feb 12 = 53/41
Tue, Feb 13 = 48/38
Wed, Feb 14 = 58/36
Thu, Feb 15 = 55/37

What it was:

Sun, Feb 11 = 55/25
Mon, Feb 12 = 66/34
Tue, Feb 13 = 59/44
Wed, Feb 14 = 52/25
Thu, Feb 15 = 37/21

Whoops... missed again.
TandemGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 12:49 AM   #24
Red Rider
Don't mince words
 
Red Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Posts: 6,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've had sun & 70* or so the last three days. Today my BFF & I played hooky & got in a brisk 32 miler, the first half against a 15 mph (gusting to 25) headwind. Glad that the ride back, while uphill, featured a tailwind.

Plum trees & magnolia soulangiana are in flower, the hills are emerald green & brilliant -- it seems too early for spring but I'm not complaining. I know we'll have more rain & cold ahead, so I grab each ride-able day and am grateful.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 04:42 AM   #25
cornucopia72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanti Andia
Hello Zona.

Ours are Maxxis Columbiere, problem was not puncture from a foreign object intrussion, it was two little holes as if the tire had pinched the tube due to improper mounting, but after the third time with careful mounting I gave up. Every time it was when we hit the sharp edge of a bump. Maybe we are just to heavy, 310 lbs team with a heavy bike, 50 lbs with racks gadgets bags etc, maybe my gage does not read the presure and it was underinflated.
+1 on not enough tire pressure as the suspect... make sure to calibrate that thumb gauge next time you get to use a nice floor pump...
cornucopia72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 AM.