Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Trek T900?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trek T900?

My son and I have an older Fiore tandem bike. Heavy, 6 speeds, but good for rails-to-trails (so long as you aren't going too far or fast). I was thinking of upgrading, but keeping it under 1K. Has anyone tried the Trek T900? Good, bad, indifferent?

What I'm looking for:
    Hybrid style (I have arthritis in my right elbow, and don't do the bent over thing any more)
    Granny gear! (I'm basically fat and lazy)
    Can fit a 5'9" person in front and 4'9" kid in back
    Good for about 320-350 pounds of riders

We broke out the Fiore today and tooled around the neighborhood. We also headed out to the far western end of our local rails-to-trails and did a good journey before it got too cold - but we would probaby do better with a larger range of gears.

I'd like to get up to 40-50 mile round-trips again, but right now we have a long way to go. So - hybrid style tandem, wide gear range, doesn't need fat tires (woohoo!!!! The Chief Ladiga Trail should FINALLY be paved in March), but I don't want skinny road tires (we'll still do dirt and gravel when we find it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They're excellent tandems given their design intent. Perfect for rail-trails and most recreational riding needs.

However, just reading your post I'd be more inclined to suggest y'all look for something like a second-hand Cannondale RT1000, Burley Rumba/Duet, or Santana Visa / Arriva SL.

I think you would be better served over the long-haul given your mileage goals, etc... Keep the Fiore for the fat-tire duty or simply put a set of 700x38 cross tires on the C'dale/Burley/Santana when you feel like playing on hardpack trails.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Nirvana, Trek Pilot 2.1, Trek Navigator 200, (wifes bike), Trek T900 Tandem, (our bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple pictures of our Trek T-900. I had my dealer change the captain bars to Bontrager Crowbar and thumb shifters just like my Gary Fisher hybred. We also changed the seats, (they were just too big and wide), and I installed Bontrager 26 X 1.5 city tires front and rear. They roll much better than the original 26 X 1.95's. We also added a rack on the rear. I like the aluminum frame, and good hardware all around. I also choose it because my wife is very short, (4'10"), and the T-900 frame fit's her, and is very easy for her to mount. I'm 5'10" and 220 Lbs. Great bike, we really enjoy it, and it allows my wife to join me on some group rides. We're taking it across Missouri in June on the Katy Trail ride. The bike has been flawless so far!

Don
    Last edited by CaptDon; 02-07-07 at 10:53 AM.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Nirvana, Trek Pilot 2.1, Trek Navigator 200, (wifes bike), Trek T900 Tandem, (our bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a bit bigger pictures.......we also installed SPD pedals for us both.

Don

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don - that is awesome!!!! I like that setup.

Take lots of pictures of the Katy trail. I really want to hit that trail in a year or two. Sooner would be better than later, as my son enjoys biking and camping now. That might change as he nears being a teenager.

(um, we bike and camp as separate activities - we haven't put the two together yet)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was given one of those old Fiore tandems which I had fun working on as a project.
    Its still not light but I have taken a few pounds off during the upgrade.
    Some day I will look for another up to date Tandem but this will do for now.
    Last edited by JTGraphics; 02-11-07 at 10:08 AM.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm thinking it would be a lot easier and more successfull for me to take a few dozen pounds off me than to take one or two pounds off the bike.

I've got fairly wide tires, slightly skinnier might help. I don't have a granny gear (or fat daddy gear), but did better around the neighborhood today by getting up out of the seat for the small inclines. I still want to be able to do at least 30 miles in a shot (my goal is the Chatthoochee River Park - it's 15 miles, so 30 mile round trip), the SCT (in segments) and the CLT (in segments). I'm not looking for fast, but would at least like to be able to cover thirty miles in 3 hours (four with breaks).

The Fiore does fine for short distances and as a beach cruiser. It's just difficult trying to go longer distances, but that might have more to do with me than anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which rack?

Which rack are you using.
    We have a trek tandem also and need rack/fenders.
    thanks

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rear rack is from Trek. It's designed to be a quick dis-connect unit that fit's into the trailer post in back of the stroker's seat and it had two rear mounts that were held in place with velcro straps. I installed the rear support braces with some stainless steel cable mounts. Much more secure and stronger, but it's not quickly dis-connected now......no big deal for us.

Don