I am thinking about getting a tandem to help haul my kids (5yo stoker, 3yo &1yo in trailer). I am thinking of a tandem instead of a TAB because it would be more stable towing and I can use it with all 3 of my kids as they go from trailer to independent riding. I will also need to park it in town, and I think 1 unit would be easier to secure than 2. I am looking for entry level. Under $2k. (I would prefer closer to $1k).
- What tandems might work well for a 5'2" captain? (My mountain bike has a 14" frame.)
- I can't rent a tandem locally - how important is it to try first (aka should I drive 120+ miles to try to rent one in other cities)?
- If a tandem has the right measurements, would you buy without riding it? I ask because the Trek T900 looks nice (aluminum, I like the sloped top bar) but the Trek shop in my town doesn't stock tandems, so I would have to buy sight unseen.
- What questions should I ask when I look for tandems at a bike shop?
- My 5yo is very active (he will love this), will I notice when he actively pedals?
- How much longer is a tandem than an adult single bike? (AKA Can I park the thing anywhere?)
- Is anyone the only tandem rider team around? If so how are you treated?
Sorry for the long list and thanks for your help!